Forums Latest Members

New Speedmaster Professional - issue or not?

1. grahamg Apr 26, 2018

Hi folks,

I finally bought a new Speedmaster Professional (ref 311.30.42.30.01.006) a few days ago. When the chrono is running, the minute counter completes its advance to the next minute when the second counter is at around 59.4 seconds rather than 60 seconds.

Is this normal? Do others have the same thing happening? I contacted Omega, but I don't think they understood the issue, as they sent me a link to a YouTube video about how to operate the chronograph - not very helpful.

I'd be grateful for any advice, as I don't want to pester my AD if this is expected behaviour.

Many thanks,
    Graham

2. R3D9 Apr 26, 2018

Yes, this is totally normal... it’s been discussed quite a few times here. Omega wouldn’t consider that behaviour a serviceable issue. Mine does the same thing.

3. Wivac Terribly special Apr 26, 2018

Yep, as R3D9 states, normal behaviour, mine does the same.

FLM likes this.
  4. rob#1 Apr 26, 2018

Mine does exactly that, though at about 59.6 seconds :confused:

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 26, 2018

Per Omega...

"After fitting the hands, check that the minute recorder hand jumps when the chronograph hand passes over 12 o’clock."

Should look like this...

FedFod, noelekal, dr1v3thru and 2 others like this.
  6. grahamg Apr 26, 2018

Thanks for the feedback. The video is what I would have expected. Mine has jumped to the next minute at around 59.4 seconds, not 60 seconds.

Hi Archer - do you think I should raise this as an issue with my AD? I want to make sure I have a watch within spec.

7. roadsternet Apr 26, 2018

The watchmaker can regulate this.
    But is it importend ?
    My Speedys are 59,5 and 0,5 Seconds over to jump in the next minute

8. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 26, 2018

Mine did the same thing...didn't find it to be an issue. What's .6 seconds among friends?

Pun likes this.
  9. vbrad26 Apr 26, 2018

Just want to put it out there that mine does the same thing.
    And as previously stated, this has been discussed before and the general consensus was that most people's watches did it...if I recall correctly.

10. grahamg Apr 26, 2018

I guess I thought an expensive, precision timepiece would be a bit more precise :)

11. vbrad26 Apr 26, 2018

Funny how that works.
    But don't forget, you can see the glue that holds parts of a Ferrari F40 together...

ThePiper, Qasemoh and Foo2rama like this.
  12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 26, 2018

What prescision instrument are you using to get the .6 of a second variation ;)

ulackfocus and ThePiper like this.
  13. gdupree Apr 26, 2018

So, because you aren't able to read the minute recorder for 0.6 seconds out of each minute, you consider the timepiece imprecise? Sounds like you need a Patek.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 26, 2018

It's completely up to you - in my view despite everyone saying it's "normal" it is not. It might be a common fault, but it's not the way it should be.

15. grahamg Apr 26, 2018

Thanks all for the feedback. So the summary is it's common, but it's not right. I'll see what the AD says. Thanks again.

16. gdupree Apr 26, 2018

I think I misunderstood the OP. I now read that he said the minute recorder "completes" it's travel to the next minute at 59.4 seconds... I thought he was saying that it began traveling around then, which happens even in the video posted, and that the OP was concerned with the fact that it doesn't more instantaneously jump to the next minute. Sorry if we unduly jumped to a conclusion there @grahamg. My minute recorder does complete its travel right on the minute.

17. grahamg Apr 26, 2018

@gdupree - yes, it completes before 60 seconds - I don't mind the fact it takes time to travel, it's when it completes that's been bugging me.

gdupree likes this.
  18. Scott S Apr 26, 2018

Kind of hard to tell exactly, but I think my minute counter jumps in the last second, maybe 59.6-59.8. I can't imagine how that would be a problem with any casual timing I'd be doing.
    Had my Speedy since February, I used the chrono function for the first time at last weekend's MotoGP in Austin. I was able to time laps within the same second as the official transponders, that's certainly close enough for a handwound mechanical watch.

dr1v3thru, blufinz52 and stevec14 like this.
  19. arcentaur Apr 26, 2018

I guess since it's a jumping minute it shouldn't be a real issue as long as it's consistent. A sweeping minute, on the other hand (pun unintended), would obviously accumulate errors especially for very long timing runs. But this isn't a COSC-certified movement either and mine is 6.5 sec/d fast, and although I know it's the chrono minute hand that is being discussed, I reckon the good old "what's good for the goose etc.." holds true here.

I also just bought the hesalite version very recently and the OP's post prompted me to check, and below is the result (apologies for the poor photo quality as those are screenshots off a video clip). So it does jump at 59.6s and I'm taking it as within tolerance. That said, I'm curious what the OP's dealer will say about this and would greatly appreciate a feedback here. Many thanks!

3.jpg 4.jpg
    ras47 likes this.
  20. pianomankd Apr 26, 2018

Normal!