Forums Latest Members

New Speedmaster "Moonwatch" owner looking for advice.

1. ChrisB1977 Jan 16, 2017

Hello, I am a new member to the forum.
    I received the Speedmaster Moonwatch as a birthday gift from my wife just before Christmas, this is my first Omega (or any other high end brand) and my first mechanical manual winding watch.
    I don't wear the watch everyday, as I am in the steel industry and don't want to damage it, but I have noticed the watch gains over 10 seconds in a 24 hour period. Is this normal? Thanks in advance.

cicindela likes this.
  2. jimi Jan 16, 2017

Its accuracy is -1 to +11 secs./day so it's running within spec. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alb765, nonuffinkbloke and ChrisB1977 like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2017

The Speedmaster Pro isn't a chronometer rated movement and from memory +10 is on the upper end of Omega's acceptable range for that model, being a mechanical piece and manual wind its to be expected that you'll have some variation like that, if you find over time that its consistently +10 you can get your watchmaker or Omega Boutique to regulate it down a bit for you closer to +1-2. Congrats on the new watch and on marrying a terrific woman well done on both fronts :thumbsup:

4. Bushido Jan 16, 2017

As said above, -1 to +11 is Omega's listed tolerances for non chronometer watches. If important to you, it should be pretty easy to adjust the precision by a qualified individual. You can also try changing resting position of your watch as this will most likely change the timing some up or down.

Congratulations on receiving a fantastic watch I'm sure you'll enjoy for a long time to come! Also, welcome to the forums!!

ChrisB1977 and kkt like this.
  5. OhMegaMan Jan 16, 2017

Where to find a wife that will gift you nice watch like that. You lucky guy. Im envious.

6. ChrisB1977 Jan 17, 2017

Thanks for the replies. Yes my wife is amazing.
    I have left the watch in a different position today to see if that has any effect on the time gain. So the reason for the gain could be simply that I am not wearing it daily? Is the movement affected by just sitting in one position for long periods? Sorry for all the questions but I really want to make sure I look after the watch.

cicindela likes this.
  7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2017

There is some variation by position yea, dial up, crown up and crown down will give different results, try them all and see if any help.

8. ChrisB1977 Jan 17, 2017

It was dial up yesterday giving the over 10 second gain, today I have left it crown down. See what results that brings.

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 17, 2017

The issue is different effects on the hair spring due to orientation to gravity. Its an interesting problem in watches, and if you want to get into the history why pocket watches where used in the Train Industry. Hint the watches where calibrated into one position for a pocket watch and where normally always in the same orientation. Watches by default are in multiple positions.

10. ChrisB1977 Jan 17, 2017

Thanks for the information. I love the watch, I was concerned that it was defective but now my mind is at ease and it's good to know that it's just the way things are.

cicindela likes this.
  11. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jan 17, 2017

Not being rude but if you think about it, it is 10 seconds fast over 86,400 seconds. Not bad for a something so small and not electronic.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  12. ChrisB1977 Jan 17, 2017

You're absolutely right, I just wanted to make sure this was normal having never owned an Omega or equivalent before.

13. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jan 17, 2017

Congrats on the Speedmaster. If only we could get a nice wrist shot of said Speedy :whistling:

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 17, 2017

Are you fully winding it each day? In addition to positional variation, the watch rate can be affected by the state of wind on the mainspring. Isochronism, or lack of it, can mean that as the power runs down on the watch, the rate can change, so if you are not fully winding it every day you wear it, that can also be contributing to the time gain. You don't have to wind it every day if it is worn only on weekend for example, but if you wear it say Saturday and Sunday, you should wind it both days for best timekeeping.

Cheers, Al

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  15. ChrisB1977 Jan 17, 2017

I have been winding it everyday regardless of whether I wear it or not.

duc likes this.
  16. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 17, 2017

It may well be just within Omega's specs but I have to say if you are fully winding it every night or morning then that performance would annoy me, at it seems to have annoyed you. Assuming it is brand new, the watch can do better than that if correctly regulated so I would be tempted to ask for regulation under warranty or out of goodwill from your AD. There is actually a good chance that it is running out of tolerance since your timings will be approximate and what you report is right on the line. If this were a cherished and well used 60s or 70s piece I would be much more forgiving but for a new watch, I would personally expect more.

17. ChrisB1977 Jan 17, 2017

Yes it has annoyed me a little bit. I am currently working away from home so will try the suggestions of leaving it in different positions, dial up, crown down etc and see if that makes any difference. If I am still dissatisfied by the time I get back home I will take it back to where it was purchased.

I will post a picture tonight when I finish work.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 17, 2017

What are you measuring it against, and how exactly?

19. tempusfugit861 Jan 17, 2017

I gave my husband a rather lovely 2998-4 for xmas. He never wears it, though. :(

And ten seconds give or take shouldn't cause any real issues, right? I'm happy if some of my old watches are within a minute a day.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2017

If you need a new husband at some point, that could get you a lot of takers. I can't promise they'd be the fittest or most attractive, but they'd certainly wear the 2998-4.

Tk421, blubarb, Bienne2998 and 4 others like this.