Forums Latest Members

New Seamaster bracelet adjustment

1. cjoedaniel Feb 21, 2019

I'm sure many folks have done this... I was wondering if I can size the bracelet myself with the correct screw driver and not have to worry about loctite reapplication? Can the screws slowly loosen over time if the loctite has been compromised? Are they actually reapplying at the AD or OB when they size after a new purchase?

Thanks for any info.

2. Wetworks Feb 21, 2019

I've removed links on both the new Diver and PO, never applied any Loctite, so I'm interested to hear what others think of that. No issues thusfar...

3. cjoedaniel Feb 21, 2019

What screw driver were you using?

4. Wetworks Feb 21, 2019

The purple Bergeon, 1.6mm

5. DIV Feb 22, 2019

If they are anything like my Trilogy Railmaster, the screws are set with some Loctite from the factory. My OB told me to put the bracelet (only) in boiling water to soften the Loctite before unscrewing....it worked fine

6. cjoedaniel Feb 24, 2019

Ended up taking it to an AD... Charged me $25 and when I got home I noticed one of the bracelet links was scratched on the side... Hah but the screws looked perfect.

Wetworks likes this.
  7. steelfish Feb 25, 2019

I just bought a new one on Saturday and spotted yesterday that the AD had managed to ravage the screw heads on about half the screws! It's so pinging my OCD right now.

8. Wetworks Feb 25, 2019

I would bring it back and insist that they change them out then. Even if they aren't willing to do it gratis (they should), get new screws; that's not something you want to have to deal with going forward. Trust me, I looked the other way on a beat up screwhead once and when it came time to swap out a link it was a very frustrating experience

9. steelfish Feb 25, 2019

I've already sorted it myself. I can see why it's happened. Had to soak the bracelet in boiling water to free up the loctite. Never seen such a tight bracelet screw before. With Loctite the screws only need to be nipped up - not torque up like a wheel nut. Sadly I now need a new 'best' screwdiver.

Wetworks likes this.
  10. hbombkid Feb 25, 2019

I have used a hairdryer before to losen the screws. I also never reapply loctite. Has someone really had a slip back out? Honest question.

To the OP you need to go back and have them change the link out especially since they charged you or at worst give you 25 back if you don’t care about the scratch.

11. cjoedaniel Feb 25, 2019

The scratch seems to be only noticeable in certain lighting and angle so I'm not going to stress about it as much since as the metal oxidizes it will also become less noticeable. It is also on a link that only has one pair of screws at the end so the other end is permanently attach to the rest of the bracelet. Don't want them to create more scratches trying to replace it.
    Also when I got home I tried my Wiha 1.8mm screw driver on the screws in the extra links and they seemed to turn loose just fine. So now I have confidence in sizing if I need to down the road. I am also not sure if they reapplied loctite at the AD. My watch was taken away from me to a backroom so I couldn't watch it being worked on.