Forums Latest Members
  1. The Athenian Dec 5, 2018

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in this forum as this is my first Omega watch.

As the title suggests, I got the new Seamaster in silver 10 days ago (early Christmas gift from my wife). Great watch, feels closer to my Sub than I would expect (clasp and bezel action still better on the Rolex but winding, finish and overal feeling superb). However, I am not used to rotor noises on my Rolex watches and the caliber 8800 rotor is very loud. Is this normal with this movement? Any other users of the Seamaster could confirm this? Thank you.

2. Duckie Dec 5, 2018

Welcome to the Omega forum.

What you experience could be described as normal.
    In order to gain a reference point to better answer your question.
    What Rolex watch models do you have?
    More specifically, what caliber movements do they contain?

3. Woodlands Dec 5, 2018

I have the 2018 300M. If I shake mine next to my ear I hear the rotor. It’s keeping time within spec. It’s my first self-winding watch. I’m not concerned.

4. absolutemustard Dec 5, 2018

I believe the sounds you are hearing is the ceramic rotor ball bearings

It's normal

Rolex has a thin metal post that the weight spins on, so the sound is quieter. I believe the bearings make the Omega calibre more robust, but I am sure some will dispute that.

griz84 likes this.
  5. Duckie Dec 5, 2018

In recent times Rolex has been updating their movements.
    The latest movements utilize a ball bearing mounted Rotor.

Hence my question above, requesting more background information so as we may answer with more authority/confidence.

Perhaps the OP ought to simply take the watch back to the dealer and ask if it's normal.

The Athenian likes this.
  6. absolutemustard Dec 5, 2018

The most common questions for people that are new to ceramic bearing rotors deal with sound, so with confidence I would say that is the case here as well. He is also comparing the watch to his Sub, so I would also say he is used to the sound of a rotor axe lon a 3135.

7. Duckie Dec 5, 2018

8. Duckie Dec 5, 2018

Yes, it is a common occurance.

Besides the mention of a Sub which will have (for all intents and purposes) a silent rotor.
    The OP also mentions multiple Rolex watches, and to that there may also be a newer movement or two amongst them.

9. The Athenian Dec 6, 2018

i appreciate a lot your reply. Both my Rolex were bought this year. A Submariner (cal. 3135) and an Explore II Polar (cal. 3187). The Explorer can be heard sligthly, the Sub is absolutely silent. my Omega on the other hand is quite loud, I can hear the rotor spinning (if I move my wrist on purpose) from my chest more or less.

In any case, I will have it checked by my AD just to be sure. I salute you.

10. The Athenian Dec 6, 2018

Great, thank you very much. I rest a little more reassured now :)

11. The Athenian Dec 6, 2018

You are probably right. I am used to the silent Sub... although this new Seamaster feels very close to it! (don't have any experience with the previous model).

12. ama98 Jun 11, 2019

I just experienced this on my 6 months old Diver 300M. It wasn't noisy at all. Today I heard it for the first time.
    Not sure what trigged this.... Should I be concerned and visit a service center?

13. louis5k Jun 11, 2019

The sub will be silent. I have a oyster perpetual date which uses the same 3135 movement and I just bought an Aqua Terra with the 8800 and the sound is very noticeable in close range. Rolex 3135uses a rotor design which is silent but more prone to wear but they have updated this in the 3235 (which will be louder). The 8800 uses the ball bearing design which is inherently louder. but I agree with you, when you are used to silence, the sound is LOUD, even though in reality it is not that loud.

Premaster likes this.
  14. coastalnative Apr 9, 2024

What was the result here?