Forums Latest Members
  1. Riviera Paradise Mar 23, 2017

@profzhu you will be getting the current SD4000, right? I had thought of doing something similar, especially if there is a price drop, which I am not sure will happen.I remember when I went to purchase my Explorer II 216570, the AD did offer the previous 16570 at a discount.

2. profzhu Mar 23, 2017

Yep getting the 40mm SD4000. Those pieces are not moving at the stores and I can probably get a discount on those quite easily. Or I can just get ones from dealers at an even cheaper price.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 23, 2017

Actually Darren made a really basic request to Megan to reply to people's WTBs via PM instead of in the thread, something he does almost daily. In response to that Megan decided to absolutely throw the biggest infantile temper tantrum I've ever seen an adult pull, hurled abuse at him and treated him like absolute dirt.

Following that Megan demanded to be be banned, about the 10th time she's done that to get attention mainly from blokes she doesn't have much respect for that jump to her aid every time she pulls this dummy spit trick then cries and pretends to be a victim.

Megan you need to grow up and treat people with respect and dignity like human beings, your actions and your response to Darren who has an extremely difficult and thankless job to do was an absolute disgrace, and I couldn't care less about that rubbish you claim about being born with a silver spoon in your mouth, we ask everyone to reply to WTB and FS listings by PM, its basic stuff.

You owe him an apology, its as simple as that.

Nobel Prize, Foo2rama, sensui and 8 others like this.
  4. meganfox17 Mar 24, 2017

Hi @profzhu[emoji68] @Riviera Paradise

May I have your permission to speak freely Sir ?
    You are Spot On.The weak sales of the SD4K in Malaysia at ADs (selling at USD7865 ) & OBs ( retails at 9083 ) are a major cause for concern BUT Rolex is THE number 1 Marketing Brand in the World and they are no fool. I'm very positive they have made contigency plans to avoid long term poor sales. Rarity for the current SD4K later ? Yes ! But would it be the most sought model fetching a premium ? I dont think so..
    Let me explain...

Hypothetically speaking , What IF Rolex does the classic manoeuvre , it's not really a big secret anymore since they have been doing this to the last batches of Ref 16710 GMT and Sub Ref 16610. What I mean is fitting new calibre movements to old discontinued casings.
    ● Recall back all SD4K model then switch to NOS !!! The new Cal 3255 with the Chronergy escapement are fitted into the old 40 mm SD4K casing with the 15.5 mm thickness. Now you still have that non cyclops version new Calibre except without the Red Sea Dweller writing on the dial.They can really sell for a premium !

●Produce a variation in the classic Sub Ref 116610c 40 mm by switching some units over to the current SD4K 40mm casing with the shorter lugs, no cyclops so fully utilizing the remaining stock supply. So now you have two different Subs-class !

If Rolex executes this tactical plans , it dilutes the value and rarity of the SD4K . Sure , of course you can purchase the current SD4K model but wouldnt you prefer a NOS with a newer calibre 3255 and greater precision , 70 hrs longer power reserves or a newer class Sub variation with better all round balance, matt dial , no cyclops +/- Cal 3255 ?

Think about it[emoji136]

5. brunik Mar 24, 2017

Imho it was non sense to make this watch... the sd is without cyclops ...dot!

IMG_9204.JPG

EatMan likes this.
  6. TheHoof Mar 24, 2017

I thought the trend for larger watches was finally reversing. Seems not!

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  7. Riviera Paradise Mar 24, 2017

@dsio you are clearly taking an indirect swipe at me here which was completely uncalled for.

If Megan or anyone else is just giving some suggestions as to where you can find a given watch I don't see the big deal, but if she is breaking a clear, posted forum rule in terms of WTB behaviour, then she should be criticized. I always thought that the OF was NOT a commercial site and I think that anyone who tries to do business here directly or indirectly, does so at their risk.

I have told Megan that her constant attempts to be banned are not in her favour and I clearly posted in this thread that she should calm down and make her arguments known to the mods. Many on the OF like Megan and value her contributions, even though she does seem to have significant and I agree immature fluctuations in temper and mood. I just ignore them and value the good stuff. She will ban herself again and then come back again with the good and the bad...I value the diversity on the forum and if you want a thriving community we need all sorts here...

All I can say is that I was disappointed with your reply.

kkt likes this.
  8. Riviera Paradise Mar 24, 2017

Comments below:
    1. There are many who will not like the new size and cyclops for the new SD, similar to those who do not like the new GMT with larger ceramic bezel.
    2. The 3255 is a very much a new calibre and I think Rolex would piss off customers of the new 43mm Seadweller if they found out that it was also available in the last runs of the old SD. The 3185 to 3186 upgrade was not as significant and the 3816 was the only GMT calibre Rolex had available at the 40mm case size (3187 has larger parts for the 216570). Rolex have hundreds of thousands of 3135 calibres still available for the last batches of the old SD.
    3. The +2/-2 certification is already available in the latest batch of old SDs available at ADs. The power reserve increment on the new version is great, but I don't think it will make that much difference in the long term.
    4. The current iteration had a short run (I think 2.5 yrs?).

I think it does point to a long term good value proposition for the current 40mm SD, if you manage to purchase it at discount at a local AD, grey market or pre-owner...I would only purchase it though if I thought it would make a nice addition to my collection...a possible future ROI would be an added bonus.

Edited Mar 24, 2017
  9. WatchWarlock Mar 24, 2017

Count me as one of those who doesn't like the new size and cyclops. I understand that the new size is meant to differentiate it from the sub, but now it is too close to the DeepSea. 42mm without the cyclops and I think it would have been the perfect upgrade.

10. MH82 First Owner - SpeedyTuesday LE Mar 24, 2017

Not a fan of the cyclops but I could get used to that. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh in May when they have samples in store. Offloaded the PO LM LE for sentimental reasons so this could be a great replacement even if twice the price.

11. danicycle Mar 24, 2017

I think calling this the "Red" model, toy or SD is an overstatement.. sure it's a subtle nuance, but hardly justifies calling it that unlike the Hulk (green), Smurf (blue) Kermit (black and green).

Either way your passion for the watch is clear - hope you get your hands errr wrist on it ASAP!

12. Riviera Paradise Mar 24, 2017

@dsio , @Trev has explained to me what happened and some of Megan's behaviour behind the scenes on the OF. I agree with the actions you have taken.

Cheers,

- Bruno

13. bokbok Mar 26, 2017

I am happy to buy one but my name down for one!!

14. danicycle Apr 18, 2017

my local boutique in Houston said (as of 2 weeks ago) that they had 3 or 4 people on the waitlist - refundable $5,000 deposit required.

They will have a Basel show in June with weighted watches (no movement inside). I think I can wait a year or two to decide whether I like it or not..

15. FlyingTiger May 9, 2017

Available September :thumbsup:

Regards,
    Alexander

speedamatuer likes this.
  16. Overgrower May 10, 2017

Thanks for the news on September. I for one like how it looks.

17. jfmiii May 10, 2017

you can buy one now from DavidSW for.....$18,000 :taunt:

18. ras47 May 10, 2017

I've seen lots of folks talking about removing the magnifier (cyclops eye) on their Rolexes. Are there any other major watch makers the use the cyclops eye? I've seen the occasional other brand with it, but nothing regular. Not as regular as Rolex, anyway. This seems to be a hallmark of Rolex. I personally like it on my GMT2.

19. LaurentBxl May 11, 2017

I like it on my GMT2 too, but like my SD because it does not have one, go figure.....

20. jfmiii May 11, 2017

The SD should never have a cyclops. It is a shame they put one on the SD43.

Foo2rama likes this.