Forums Latest Members
  1. danicycle Mar 22, 2017

brockburst likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 22, 2017

The best part about it is that it breaks with the now very elderly Calibre 3135 architecture in favor of the (also quite old now but vastly more modern) Daytona architecture with a 70 hour power reserve and new fangled cutting edge technologies like ball bearings.

Over the next 15 Baselworlds Rolex will slowly drip feed this new movement into each model instead of doing it to the whole lineup at once to make it look like they've done something new each year.

Atleo, nixf6, SteampunkSloth and 5 others like this.
  3. danicycle Mar 22, 2017

Yes I'm sure the movement is a vast improvement to 3135, but wonder how it will appear one the wrist at 43 mm and what appears to look like wider casing at the lugs vs. the recent last generation Sea Dweller.

4. LaurentBxl Mar 22, 2017

My 16600 is not going anywhere....but i'm a 5 digits guy and don't get what they do with the bulky case of the new sub or with an SD with cyclop in 43mm. Also the rating is still at 1220m, so they work on aesthetics now more than on technicalities....

watch3s, Togri v. 2.0 and nixf6 like this.
  5. watchlovr Mar 22, 2017

43mm, why oh why?

6. mr_yossarian Mar 22, 2017

Having had a 114060 with the new lugs and owning a 11660 I must say I really like it, casesize of 43 is to see on my wrist but overall it's a nice iteration, much nicer than the giant deep sea things.

7. LaurentBxl Mar 22, 2017

bigger is better those days.... i don't get it neither

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 22, 2017

A bigger question is why does a Seadweller have a flat crystal and cyclops?

Apa, Andy K and Spy like this.
  9. mr_yossarian Mar 22, 2017

don't spoil it for me, ok?:)

10. KstateSkier Mar 22, 2017

[​IMG]
    That cyclops though... ugh

Spy likes this.
  11. watchlovr Mar 22, 2017

Much better;
    IMG_2740.jpg

sjg22, José9, pault8084 and 30 others like this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 22, 2017

That's what I don't get though, they even had a template to work off and they still went let's stick a wart on its face that historically doesn't belong there. And yet... on the Tudor Heritage Chrono, a watch that's main novelty on the vintage version was having a weird cyclops at six, they skipped it.

Kmart, Faz, Spy and 1 other person like this.
  13. meganfox17 Mar 22, 2017

Oh...Rolex really Hit the Nail Extra Hard on this 0ne ! This Red Baby is now officially the new improved , Oh Hell Yeah , a diver watch SuperStar , it will be THE hottest , MOST sought after model in the Asian market since the SS GMT Coke failed to materialized.

Heck ! Perfect size , the Red SD
    ( RSD ) going to fetch a jaw dropping altitude high premium price in the Malaysian,Singapore ,Hong Kong markets & mainland China . It will sell like Hot Sizzling Cakes and Fresh Donuts , the demand for the Red SD would be great that I anticipate the Chinese market will additionally going to source the rare scarce RSD from its South East Asian neighbours. That's what happened to Batman & D-Blue !

The Single Red Writing SD anniversary on the dial alone ( forget the new Cal 3235 & Chronergy escapement which is an added bonus of course ) is really a devastating blow to the SD4K. In Malaysia the SD4K really doesnt sell well fetching a price tag of USD 8988 at the OB but the resale value is much lower and depreciates faster than the regular DSSD !

I know the Malaysian Chinese dealers now realize they need to quickly dispose the already poor sales of the SD4K & to a lesser extent the DSSD ( except the James Cameron watch of course ). A discontinued model should be able to hold its own on the market right ? I have my doubts though , since it's too similar to a Sub & it doesnt have that nostalgic sentimental traits of a Pepsi or a Coke GMT

In the Chinese traditions and customs , Red Symbolizes Good Luck & Prosperity. It's the only colour that will ward off Evil Spirits and Demons if you believe in Superstitions so guys...now do the Math!

I guess-timate is The Red SD will fetch an insanely Premium Value sitting in the sweet spot between the DSSD and the D- Blue so that's roughly US11.5-12.5 K. I know of sick obsessive watch collectors here without flinching or missing a beat will blow an extra 1 -2 grand over the premium just to get their hands on this Baby !

Hah ! I suspect sneaky Rolex Malaysia is going to deliberately delay the release of the Red SD until a month or so before the next Chinese New Year to bloat the premium sky high !

You know what guys ? I had plans to purchase a pre owned ceramic Sub or SD4K. Now that I have seen it , my mind has changed. This 0ne's for keeps !
    I would need to be frugal , save every penny from now on to get my hands on my new Red Toy !

zimmerit5, kkt and Riviera Paradise like this.
  14. jfmiii Mar 22, 2017

total snoozefest from Rolex. guess they dont want to hamper demand on the Daytona500 by releasing something WIS really wants.

Faz likes this.
  15. Spy You know my name. Mar 22, 2017

Rolex is losing its edge. Other than the red print, the watch is a bore.

16. nygiants Mar 22, 2017

43 mm....That's what is most amazing....Rolex breaking it's mold of daintier size watches for the big boy of their watch line....Dial looks well finished with a touch of color

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 22, 2017

I like big bezels and I can't deny....

wait yes I can...

I asked GCHQ to bug the Rolex offices last year, this is leak number 2 of the data I was given.

Rolex Marketing Head (RMH): We need a new Sea Dweller!

Rolex Marketing flunky (RMF1) : Collectors like red, lets being back one line of red text!

RMH : We need to do more...

RMF2 : Lets make it bigger!!! 43mm!!!

RMF3: The seadweller looks to much like the no date Sub... lets give it the cyclops for no reason!

RMH: Looks like a sub now...

RMF4: Lets make the bezel oversize and out of proportion so it no longer looks like a Sub!

RMH: Nailed it!

Watchmutt, watch3s, kkt and 2 others like this.
  18. night0wl Mar 22, 2017

Apple philosophy is what I like to call that

19. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 22, 2017

Boy the SD4K sure was short-lived, certainly by Rolex standards. I wonder if demand will go up on that one now that it's been put out to pasture?

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 22, 2017

Edited Mar 22, 2017