Forums Latest Members

New record 72 posts ( and counting) in less than 49 minutes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe_A Jul 27, 2020

Two issues not necessarily related . . .

I'd certainly want to help as much as I am able under the circumstance as you describe. One may help . . . and then suggest afterward that the person list on Ebay or Chrono24.

A member here can always privately make a fair offer after guidance has been shared.

As has been suggested, the way one goes about things matters. Unfortunately, this medium is rather one-dimensional when compared with a voice communication or a face to face meeting.

"Hey, who wants to buy my grandfather's watch; I never really liked the guy anyway!"

Is a bit different from an earnest request for help from someone who does not know where to turn.

Edited Jul 27, 2020
  2. Engee Jul 27, 2020

Corona, of course.

DaveK and SpikiSpikester like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 27, 2020

Newbie - Hey how much is this worth ?
    Forum - $ 5000
    Newbie - ok thanks !

Newbie - For sale at $5500

So they came here to be educated by us to make a profit for themselves.
    (Don’t mind helping with homework but doing someone’s homework is a bit different)

We have seen countless dealers try this technique as well. It doesn’t end well once it’s found they are a dealer.........

Scarecrow Boat, marco, YY77 and 2 others like this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2020

A really smart farm poster (or ranch poster in US, station poster in Oz) would be constantly changing his avatar so it would take longer for the members to catch on :rolleyes:

DaveK likes this.
  5. JwRosenthal Jul 27, 2020

This is like when they give us those alcohol and drug seminars at work that teach us how to be drunk at work without anyone knowing.

6. Tubber Jul 27, 2020

7. ConElPueblo Jul 27, 2020

I'll be the first person to help someone looking for help in this way and also (hopefully) the first person to take advantage of someone selling a watch cheaply without having come here first.

Sadly the latter is a much more uncommon occurrence, but it happens.

[​IMG]

sonicosa, DaveK, janice&fred and 2 others like this.
  8. JwRosenthal Jul 27, 2020

That’s just a Seiko diver, they’re worth about $150, but I’ll give you $175 for it because you are so nice :p

Syrte, DaveK and janice&fred like this.
  9. ConElPueblo Jul 27, 2020

That would have made my profit more than 5000% :D

DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.
  10. Happy Jul 27, 2020

I want to get to 200 posts for no reason whatsoever

But to feel like I'VE MADE IT!!!

Joe_A likes this.
  11. JwRosenthal Jul 27, 2020

Happy to make that 5000% profit dream come true man!

DaveK likes this.
  12. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 27, 2020

Aqualung, my friend, don't you start away uneasy
    You poor old sod, you see it's only me.

I'm glad you can't hear me sing on the forum!
    Feeling chipper, big watch day tomorrow for me if the auction karma smiles.

Feeling alone, the Army's up the road....salvation ala mode and a cup of tea.

Sorry all, it was the first time I've ever heard "sod" used in conversation.

airansun and pdxleaf like this.
  13. janice&fred Jul 27, 2020

What no one has lawns in canuck land?

14. MtV Jul 27, 2020

Which I don’t really get since the prices here don’t seem to be the most lucrative for the seller, most offers appear pretty reasonable. So what’s the big deal with being able to sell here? Don’t get me wrong, I’m in no way unappreciative regarding this forum / the market place, but it seems to me that the biggest upside selling here compared to bigger platforms like Chrono / eBay etc is the quality of the contact. I’ve bought a couple of watches in my short time in this forum and everybody was exceptionally friendly and helpful. It feels good to buy from someone from the community, in the same way that, so I assume, it feels good selling to someone from it. But if you’re only farming posts to quickly make it to 200, you’re not part of the group anyway, so why the hassle?

Might be just me, but it doesn’t make sense to me.

Engee likes this.
  15. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 27, 2020

Boy, is @Canuck gonna be hot!
    I'm a thousand miles south and sod is not used as a descriptive term for individuals hereabouts.

janice&fred likes this.
  16. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 27, 2020

Suggest you do a search, as this has been covered in depth a couple dozen times in just the 3 or so years I've been a member of OF. But it distills down to this (I'll be succinct): It is an OF forum rule, and if you don't like it that's too bad. Ask for your membership fees back.

kov and UncleBuck like this.
  17. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jul 27, 2020

Right on!

We are not a damn sales vehicle.

We are a collectors forum seeking education, preservation and advancement of horology!

Will all others, please, go away!

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  18. MtV Jul 27, 2020

I might have failed to make myself understood, English not being my first language. That wasn’t my point - I’m not criticizing the 200-post-rule, in fact I’d understand if the barrier was even higher. What I don’t understand is why so many people seem to be desperate to achieve the 200, as I don’t see what’s to be gained by being able to sell here, purely money-wise. The emotional/personal part of it I understand completely.

19. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 27, 2020

There was a sod farm near where I grew up in Ontario. No one was ever sure what happened there...

Mad Dog likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 27, 2020

We have sod farms around here, and they are about as exciting as watching grass grow.

Mad Dog, Walrus, JimInOz and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.