Forums Latest Members

New Railmaster- What do we think ?

1. Jerseyhammer Mar 14, 2018

image.jpeg

So what people's views on the new Railmaster series?

Comtaygious, Omega-Q, igloe and 10 others like this.
  2. davidswiss Mar 14, 2018

I think if you want a new, reliable, very good looking watch then this is a winner and, for me, one of the most successful attempts at getting that 50's 60's look that people like.
    It is though yet another sign that maybe modern design doesn't really appeal to men who buy mechanical watches.

3. Donn Chambers Mar 14, 2018

When it was first released, I was not impressed by it. But after seeing it in person, I like it. It’s a great size and not too thick. Has the upgraded movement and is offered at a very nice price point compared to other Omegas. The dial looks a lot sharper in person. I strongly considered buying one, but I went with the Seamaster 300 Pro because I liked its style just a little more and the dealer offered me a 25% discount on it. Because the Railmaster was nw, he wasn’t offering any discount.

But in a few years, I might just pick one up. I think it would make an excellent day-to-day watch.

ptfly and IAm_KY like this.
  4. ChrisB1977 Mar 14, 2018

I love it, especially on the nylon strap.

SuperHero, Jerseyhammer and Maganator like this.
  5. ClarendonVintage Mar 14, 2018

Not a fan of the numerals and crosshair. The whole dial is supposed to have a vintage effect but the numerals looks too modern. The crosshairs don't even extend to the markers, seems pointless.

I also feel the Omega logo should be a gold insert: would fit with the markers. However, I do like the hands, case and crown.

DaveK likes this.
  6. Gstp Mar 14, 2018

It has it all sort of, in it's parts, but as a whole it just doesn't work for me, very hard to pinpoint where or why those good bits don't go together as a whole. They've done better with some of their recent remakes, not just in the distant past.

ac106 and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  7. Riviera Paradise Mar 14, 2018

As others have posted it has to be seen live to appreciate it, especially the way the textured dial changes under lighting. It also looks much better in daylight than artificial lighting. For me the black dial wins hands down over the silver dial and I much prefer it on the strap. The brushed steel bracelet with the brushed case is just...well...too much brushed steel to look at and and does not provide sufficient contrast for the case.

Omega really put in effort to create a modern look and the faux patina is there to add warmth, not a vintage vibe. This watch would look pretty horrible with white hour markers IMO.

Love the lollipop seconds hand which is a nice reference to European railway signals.
    BhfEpfenhofen_Ausfahrsignale_Talaufwaerts_II.JPG

I think the cross-hairs do slightly clutter the dial, but they do add a nice scientific / chronometer standard design element...which is BTW not unique to any brand...for those that think that cross-hairs are JLC Geophysic rip-off.

I think this is probably the best "field watch" you can get in this price range with this level of in-house caliber. It is less dressy than the Explorer or Railmaster 60th LE. This is the sort of watch you can really take anywhere without attracting attention. I think the Railmaster 60th LE is the prettier watch, but the the new Railmaster has a more rugged look.

Monochrome Watches really managed to capture a superb shot of the textured dial below...I have posted this several times, but it really does look fantastic here...
    Omega-Railmaster-Master-Chronometer-Collection-Baselworld-2017-Review-Price-9.jpg

Some negatives around how Omega are selling / positioning the watch:

An incredibly silly name Seamaster Railmaster for the actual SKU.

Another horrible thing Omega have done to this watch is to call it "Presely's choice"...(www.omegawatches.com)

I mean what the hell...surely some sore of engineering / scientific / nature reference would be more appropriate. I could sort of understand using someone like Presely for the new Seamaster they will launch at Basel 18 (rich beach kids, Ocean drive Ibiza et al.)...but what some androgynous blonde city kid has to do with a tool / field / scientific watch is something completely outside of my comprehension.

On a more general comment I would state that I have sometimes seen a luxury brand's products not match marketing hype/expectations. I have rarely seen a luxury brand have superb products undersold and undervalued by such confused marketing language as Omega. Even if they need to reach out to a new generation of watch buyers...Tudor got Gaga..surely Omega can get a better celebrity ambassador in the 20-30 age group? I mean do people in their twenties really look up to a mother's boy such as Presley? RANT OVER:)

northwatch99, ptfly, IAm_KY and 14 others like this.
  8. Speedmasterfan88 Mar 14, 2018

I like the case and hands, also the tapered crown is a nice touch. The dial on the other hand seems somehow cluttered to me. For a time only watch there's just too much going on.
    And everything could use a fondsize smaller. The hour indices are reaching too far into the dial center. The omega logo and script are too big, so are the numerals at 12 3 6 and 9.

I do like the black/grey color and the vertical stripe pattern of it though.

michael22 and Reddy_Kilowatt like this.
  9. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Mar 14, 2018

I didn't initially but I love them now, they've been growing on me more and more every time I see real life pics. Would love to try one on, can see it very likely me buying one of these at some point.

pozer, Caliber561 and watchme like this.
  10. Texasjohn Mar 14, 2018

I was on the fence initially but after trying one on it’s next on my list

11. Maganator Mar 14, 2018

Close to being lovely.

Case, hands, strap/bracelet &crown are superb.

The dial is too cluttered - lose the semi-crosshair, it looks bizarre. Get rid of the Omega, co-ax, master text. Applied Omega logo in the same colour as the lume and keep Railmaster on there and you have a winner.

12. dc_in_sf Mar 14, 2018

I'm warming up to it. I really like simple but rugged (100m+ WR) tool watches. If I wasn't allergic to Rolex (a condition I may yet overcome) the Explorer 1 would likely be the perfect watch for me, so I am always on the lookout for watches that are in the same design space. I think that the dial is just a tad cluttered, if they lost either the cross hairs or the coaxial master chronometer writing it would look better, but it is not as bad as I first thought.

It's interesting that IWC has the vintage inspired Ingenieur out now at pretty much the same price point, though the Omega movement is a couple of steps above the Sellita in the IWC, and the IWC doesn't have any anti-magnetic properties at all AFAICT which makes me sad given the heritage of the watch. I do like their dial implementation though.

13. mikekilo725 Mar 14, 2018

I think it is a nice interpretation. Still like my Railmaster 42mm though

14. Riviera Paradise Mar 14, 2018

I would certainly choose an Explorer over this Railmaster as the first buy...and if you are allergic to Rolex (I certainly was a few years back)...the Explorer is one of the most discreet / classy modern Rolex watches you can buy:thumbsup:

20160926_083302.jpg

I would still see space in a collection for both the Explorer and the modern Railmaster, especially if you like rugged tool watches:) The Explorer could fill a more formal / dressier role and the Railmaster more of an outdoor / weekend / casual watch role.

Regarding the Ingenieur, I was amazed that IWC discontinued the 3239 reference and replaced it with an incredibly boring watch (closer to the vintage origin but still boring). At least the 3239 had some interesting case and bracelet finishing to "compensate" for the Sellita movement.

R3D9 likes this.
  15. Jerseyhammer Mar 14, 2018

I agree the upgrade movement and price point makes it an interesting purchase .About £3,600 including tax in uk. Just under £3,000 duty free

16. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 14, 2018

What do I think? I think they did it better here

[​IMG]

17. rainking Mar 14, 2018

18. Jerseyhammer Mar 14, 2018

The jury is still out for me but the price , strap and movement certainly get my vote. I think it would be worth purchasing next year as there’s still a Aqua Terra ,Deville & SM gmt I’m looking to acquire . Anyway heres the grey face version on a steel 964E3202-7649-457D-AC78-8F6E3B0930C3.jpeg

19. Jerseyhammer Mar 14, 2018

Agreed

20. dc_in_sf Mar 14, 2018

Not to derail (pun intended) this thread, but since I owe myself a watch purchase this year for my 50th have been looking very closely at the Omega re-issues (have a line on to any of the LEs) and actually was all set to get the 60th speedy but didn't really bond with it when I saw it in person so have been considering other options - like the LE RM, this RM, and going a little crazy perhaps the JLC Geophysic 1958. The Explorer could yet make it into consideration (I'd absolutely jump on a 1016 if I could afford one).

Riviera Paradise likes this.