Forums Latest Members

New oyster perpetual 41mm with yellow dial

1. Chef40 Sep 15, 2020

ive owned several vintage rolexes in the past but now prefer modern omegas and think the semaster with ceramic white dial and black bezel is gorgeous and is on my wrist most days. I do prefer a rubber strap and do like the black and white daytona on rubber strap but way out of my price range. When I saw the Oyster perpetual with yellow dial, 41mm and under £5000 I was interested. Today I called all the authorised dealers within 100 miles to see how I would get one and I was shocked. We are talking a watch which retails at £4750 and they all wanted me to make an appointment to come in and talk but I cant try it on as they don't have one in stock. I'm not talking a sub or gmt just an oyster perpetual and when I asked about waiting lists they said they don't have them as it goes on how much money you have spent in past or are willing to spend now. Are they mad. I wouldn't buy a Bentley so I could get the latest mini. Its a £4750 watch. Maybe im the one who is out of touch with reality but going to a shop to talk about a watch that you can't even try on seems insane. I do like the new breitling superocean with green dial and bezel so guess il buy that as I can actually go in the shop and buy one lol

OMEGAWD2020 and Pun like this.
  2. janice&fred Sep 15, 2020

I guess it all depends on how badly you want the new Rolex. They get away with it as there's plenty of dopes willing to bend over and walk backwards into their ADs but I like your plan on the Breitling. That company is also much more pleasant to deal with and deserves the business.

3. Chef40 Sep 15, 2020

After todays experience I would never buy a new rolex. One manager asked me where I lived and when I told him I was not local he said if I left my details it would probably be over 5 years before he called me. The way they talk about rolex watches you would think they had a cure to coronavirus. Its only a watch and you don't need it lol

4. dstfno Sep 15, 2020

Unfortunately the experience at many dealers (especially the ones in bigger cities I noticed) is subpar nowadays because they don't even have to try to sell their Rolex stock and eager buyers come anyway. But I find it interesting that (some of them) mentioned the chances of obtaining a watch depended on how much money you spend, I thought it was illegal in Europe.

5. Chef40 Sep 15, 2020

They worded it saying it depends on how good a customer you are and we look at your history of what you have bought before so basically how much you spend. Ive read on here about a guy buying a sub in a rolex AD and they said he could have the sub if he bought a jlc reverso at 10 grand. I find the whole thing crazy that you can't even try it on as they dont have any but still want you to go and talk to them

6. jpjsavage Sep 15, 2020

Welcome to the world of new Rolex! Your best bet is to form a relationship with a local AD. They will get you one but it will take a while I suspect. I suppose it all depends on how much you want a new Rolex or whether you'd be happy with a new Breitling instead. I know which one I'd rather have.

7. Chef40 Sep 15, 2020

My local AD sells omegas and ive bought a few but online so I do have an account with them. I guess you would rather have the rolex ermm

8. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Sep 15, 2020

I just sent email to my local Rolex AD requesting the new 41mm OP, with the silver dial. I'm curious to see how this goes.

IDXM likes this.
  9. Chef40 Sep 15, 2020

H
    Im in the UK so if you are to, unless the yellow dialled one is the only one that is super popular i think you have no chance ☹☹

10. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Sep 15, 2020

I'm in the US. A couple of months ago my AD was willing to take my order on a 39mm OP, in any dial color, if I put half down. Although he didn't say how long it would be before it came in, he got me the Z-Blue Milgauss a while back pretty quickly. I decided to wait until the new models came, to see what changes there might be. With the new OPs now sporting the 5mm extension on the bracelet, which the older OPs don't have, I'm going to see if I can get a new one. I'll keep you posted.

11. Chef40 Sep 15, 2020

[QUOTE="S

That’s over £2000 above retail. That’s crazy as they are not even in the ADs here yet and already on chrono24. Something is not right lol

Edited by a mod Sep 15, 2020
  12. Chef40 Sep 15, 2020

I’ve just seen 2 with the red dial for £7000 on eBay and one claims to be the only one in the world for sale lol but no yellow dial ones

13. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Sep 15, 2020

100% agreed.

Part of me feels that Rolex is making people (specifically the new to Rolex people) jump through hoops as a way of vetting them to weed out dealers/flippers. As if to say "if you successfully complete the challenges we present to you, we will believe you genuinely want the watch for yourself." But yet, dealers/flippers still manage to get their hands on stuff well before actual enthusiast do. The other part of me says Rolex can do whatever they want. Maybe it's just another way of building that exclusivity feeling? I have seen numerous comments in Facebook groups of people almost bragging that they managed to get on a waitlist (of 2+ years) as if they were "chosen" ::confused2:: (I say that relating it to the exclusivity feeling). Either way, your experience would be very frustrating.

14. Chef40 Sep 15, 2020

I’ve found one yellow dialled one at £7000 lol but one of the new subs at £15000 on eBay already. The whole worlds gone mad

blufinz52 likes this.
  15. Chef40 Sep 15, 2020

There is a few of the new OPs on eBay at £7000 and one new sub at £15000 from monaco lol

16. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Sep 15, 2020

Edited by a mod Sep 15, 2020
  17. Chef40 Sep 15, 2020

I can get a newish explorer ll with box and papers for less than £7000 so I would rather buy one of them with no waitlists etc

blufinz52 likes this.
  18. scapa Sep 15, 2020

I sat on the Rolex list for over a year waiting on an OP39, now replaced by the 41s. I got an email last week asking me if I wanted to "switch over" to the all-new OP41 waiting list -- ETA 2021-22. At this point my "new Rolex experience" consists entirely of lingering on waiting lists with a vague chance to maybe, possibly, one day get a chance to move up the list.

OP, go for the Breitling. It's a nice pieces and it's actually available. If you want a yellow dial, pick up a Doxa Divingstar on the BoR and spend the rest on a dive trip/beach vacay/in-ground pool to enjoy it on. Cheaper, way more fun, and you'll have it on your wrist this decade.

doxa-sub-300t-divingstar-8791036110-1920x3261.jpg

Pun, Chef40 and YY77 like this.
  19. Chef40 Sep 15, 2020

20. Chef40 Sep 15, 2020

I could buy a nearly new explorer ii, another seamaster pro in a different colour, a breitling superocean outerknown and go to the algarve for 2 weeks and eat in michelin starred restaurants every other night while im there. I know what I'd rather spend my money on lol

Al22, IDXM and Scarecrow Boat like this.