New Omega Sea master owner please help

I just purchased this non functioning watch for $600. I may have spent more than it’s worth? Hoping for advice on how to proceed and I question its authenticity. I did find an Athens Olympic model that looks exactly like it minus the Seconds hand with the Olympic Rings on the short end. It needs repair and a good cleaning/refurbishment. What can I expect to pay for the repairs and cleaning? Is it worth it? I’m in Hawaii. Thank you for your time and for sharing your experience and expertise.

Google Omega ref 168.1640 (if I'm reading it correctly from the caseback pic) and you'll get a different watch than you're showing.

Google Omega ref 168.1640 if I'm reading it correctly from the caseback pic and you'll get a different watch than you're showing.
Thank you, I have, and a different watch came up I was unsure if the second 6 was indeed a 6 and not an 8 but there were no matches with the 8 in the serial number. I messaged the auctioneer questioning the watches authenticity as a result. Very strange and or a mix of parts? I found this watch online which is the only one close in comparison https://www.miltonsdiamonds.com/wat...nograph-2894-51-91-olympic-edition-2005-p3562

It is fake and nowhere near worth $600.
Thank you fellas!!!!! that was EZ. I haven’t paid the auctioneer yet as it ended a couple hours ago. Thank you again and Happy New Year

Next time do your homework before placing a bid. Looks like you had plenty of photos to work with to do your due diligence prior to bidding...

Things that seem to be too good to be true usually are.

Personally I think you should have to pay for the watch.

Next time do your homework before placing a bid. Looks like you had plenty of photos to work with to do your due diligence prior to bidding...

Will do. I will accept partial responsibility, Promoting something as an Omega Sea-master that is not an Omega should also fall on the auction facilitator.

I think the auctioneer should have done their own due diligence. Should have been easy for them to determine authenticity. Not all buyers are experts and it seems reasonable to rely on a reputable business’ description.

I think the auctioneer should have done their own due diligence. Should have been easy for them to determine authenticity. Not all buyers are experts and it seems reasonable to rely on a reputable business’ description.
Depending on how this shakes out I may be on the hook for it. I do regularly, and have purchased many items from this establishment in the last couple of years, I’m hoping that patronage weighs in on the outcome.

Depending on how this shakes out I may be on the hook for it. I do regularly, and have purchased many items from this establishment in the last couple of years, I’m hoping that patronage weighs in on the outcome.
If you can’t trust an auctioneer’s description I’d be very wary about doing business with them - as they say, you should buy the seller.

It just stated that it was simply an Omega sea master that was not functioning and a hand was missing but I located it within the watch in a picture provided

I'm with the OP on this one. Yes, he should have done his due diligence, but shame on the auction house for even offering this monstrosity for sale as an Omega watch. If they don't have someone on staff who can figure out that this watch is a fake, then that speaks volumes and it's not an auction house that I'd want to do business with.

Since the photos essentially were the description I'll stand where I did previously.

While I agree that there were plenty of photos for any buyer to do some homework and find the issues, the lack of information from the seller is not a good sign. For me, it would mean that a) they don't have the expertise or the resources to validate what they have, or b) they knew and left it vague to see if someone would fall for it, shielded by the excuse of providing enough pictures. The first option would make me wary of any future deal with them. The second one would make me never do business with them again.

Just be more careful next time!

Totally agree!

Totally disagree, and so, as far as I am aware, does US law- misrepresenting a counterfeit omega as real is illegal, and if there is no doubt this is fake (we know it's fake), the burden is on the auction house to represent products accurately first. You can take a hard stance that OP should have been more careful and therefore should suffer because of their lack of care, but I doubt the auction house would even agree with you that the buyer should have to pay- the potential ramification of knowingly selling fake goods outweighs the minimal cost of making it right with the customer. OP is suffering the consequences of having to walk the transaction back with the auction house- and they'll likely do it because it is their best course of action. Even if they didn't know it was fake at the time of the auction they've now been informed- and the burden of research falls RIGHT back on them. Any good research they do now will cause them to realize it's fake... and since they've been informed, I don't see why in the world they'd try to enforce the sale.

Plus, OP did come here and do research when he thought something was off.