Forums Latest Members
  1. SunTiger May 28, 2020

EDIT 06/02/20 - I now have changed my mind about this strap... I really do like it. It just needed a few days of wear. The more I look around at other leather options, the more I realize that this is probably the best quality strap out there. Please forgive me. ;-) But, yes.. read through this to see what my inital reactions were.. Thanks guys.

After 10 years with the stainless strap, I thought I would give a leather NATO a try. I first ordered a cheap one on Amazon for $13, just to see how I would like a NATO in general. Then, I proceeded to order the Official Omega leather one ($260). it came just now and I was blown away at how cheap this strap actually feels in person.

First of all.. the packaging. .was amazing. red box, red velvet everything. Wonderful. The box was much nicer than the band, which to me feels and looks like another $13 band! (I am serious).

It has that same harden (almost synthetic) feel to it. Not a soft, natural high quality leather AT ALL. It is very thin, (way too thin) and is very "delicate" in appearance. I would quickly describe it as "paper thin".

I cant believe I just paid $267 for this.

Now.. on the other hand.. the normal (non leather) Omega NATOs ($160) are very nice. I have an orange one on the way and I have seen them already in store. But, this leather one. No way.

Here are some pics.. the pics look better then what it does in person.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Jun 2, 2020
  2. Eric304 May 28, 2020

OEM product is always expensive. I have the omega green nato, good quality looks awesome, but not $160 awesome.

IMG_1829.jpeg
    imageWIS likes this.
  3. Evitzee May 28, 2020

Send it back if you aren't happy with it. That leather looks awfully bulky.

Edited May 28, 2020
    MedicMike and SunTiger like this.
  4. SunTiger May 28, 2020

Nice! I love that watch! If I were to get a second Omega.. that would be the one! The green looks nice too.

Yeah, I know I was harsh in my post.. and I am fine paying more for the "Omega" name, so it all matches etc. But man.. its just in that specific leather strap.. I just dont see the quality at all. Maybe it needs time to "break in" ? I dont know.. but, wow. Not impressed so far. Feels so cheap. I mean, on Etsy I saw some amazing looking leather NATOS for under $100... I bought a leather band on there for my Garmin and it was pretty nice, it was $34.

apsm100 likes this.
  5. SunTiger May 28, 2020

I agree. I was hoping to not have to do that. But, man. I just might. I love the color.. just cant accept this paper thin material and the way it feels.

6. Eric304 May 28, 2020

There are many other brands out there that make good quality straps under $100. you can check this guy out. Veblenist straps

7. SunTiger May 28, 2020

wow, yeah. I already like the looks of them. I also like the steel hardware with the leather. Provides more contrast, and looks nicer vs. the all leather Omega .

Eric304 likes this.
  8. abrod520 May 28, 2020

I've got the darker brown leather Omega NATO and I think it's one of the most fantastic straps I've picked up. Maybe you've just gotten used to the stiffer, unlined leather of a more generic strap? It's all a matter of preference really.

Also if you prefer the metal hardware (I very much don't), Veblenist is great - I've got a couple and highly recommend. Also give BandR Bands a shot, their leather NATOs are lovely and may fit the bill.

Ree likes this.
  9. SunTiger May 28, 2020

10. Eric304 May 28, 2020

11. KeithS May 28, 2020

I agree, the OEM NATOs are nice, but not really worth paying the premium over aftermarket brands. Crown and Buckle makes nice leather NATOs for $32-$60.
    IMG_5783.jpg

JwRosenthal likes this.
  12. stevec14 May 28, 2020

The leather needs to be thin. Otherwise you’d have 2 strips of 2mm leather underneath the watch head. Generally doing omega leather to be fantastic. Like someone said here, it might just need breaking in.

Sidreilley likes this.
  13. ama98 May 28, 2020

Sorry to hear. I would send it back. Although Omega NATO straps aren't cheap they are really good. I am really satisfied with mine.
    ... maybe the leather ones aren't that good :(

20200528_182157.jpg
    Wetworks likes this.
  14. SunTiger May 28, 2020

Oh for sure! The regular NATOS are very impressive! and dont let my post convince you that the leather is bad. I am just upset its not what I expected. I am sure others would look at it, and love it. lol. It was just not nearly as "plush" (hard to describe what I mean) as I thought it would be in person.

15. apsm100 applysome! May 28, 2020

Have you looked into shell cordovan natos? For the price you paid for the OEM strap you can get a really nice one! They don't crease or wear like regular cow-hide or calfskin straps.
    I recommend one made from Horween over the Japanese (Shinki Hikaku) leather.

16. Donn Chambers May 28, 2020

Don’t make the mistake that many do, relating thickness of leather to it’s quality. That strap is so thin BECAUSE it is high quality, Barenia leather. It will last for years and years and develop a nice patina, whereas many of the thicker, cheaper, lower-quality straps will fall apart. Many are also thin pieces of leather glued together.

Is it worth $260? That’s definitely arguable. But it’s not a low-quality strap, nor is it overpriced compared to other leather straps for luxury watches.

Lonestar and apsm100 like this.
  17. JSal16 May 28, 2020

I agree with you, I was given one as a gift for my Speedy and it just feels really cheap compared to other leather nato's I've tried.

18. AntonisCy May 28, 2020

I love the OMEGA NATOs. Just got a call from my AD that my new one has arrived today. Don't know about leather ones though it's not my style.

ama98 likes this.
  19. JSal16 May 28, 2020

I recently purchased the army green nato and although it's super comfortable and soft on the wrist, the holes are beginning to get stretched out after taking the strap on and off my wrist every night.

20. AntonisCy May 28, 2020

I have the same one in blue and have no problems whatsoever. How long do you have it?