Forums Latest Members

New Omega DSOTM purchase, possible power issue

1. guyh33 Apr 1, 2020

Hi all, first post on this forum but having spent (too much?) time reading and seeing photos on here, I have been inspired to purchase my first Omega!!

I decided on the DSOTM a few weeks ago from an OB - it’s an absolutely lovely watch and very happy with my purchase!

Unfortunately however, during my initial use I have noticed that I don’t appear to be getting near the stated 60 hours power reserve.

I decided to test this a couple of times by fully winding the watch (around 70 winds - hope that’s enough!) and leaving it - the results were that it lasts between 30-38 hours then stops. I also noticed that if I give the watch a little shake it starts again for any time between 1-2 hours then stops suggesting that it’s not fully unwound. This can be repeated several times.

Having read this really informative forum looking for similar cases, I see mentioned several times about a known issue around the DLC barrels or “brown wear” impacting some Calibre 9300 movements.
    I am not sure if these are related but would appreciate any views from you guys on whether this sounds like a service under warranty issue or if it just needs more wearing which I admit in the current circumstances has been limited.

Many thanks!

Edited Apr 4, 2020
  2. jcmartinez98 Apr 1, 2020

Don’t stop at 70. In fact, don’t count winds at all. Just wind it until it clicks, that is a full wind. You cannot over wind it, so just keep going until you hear and feel the clicks. Don’t wonder if you’re hearing them. It is very obvious.

apsm100 likes this.
  3. Evitzee Apr 1, 2020

The important thing is does it stay wound as you wear it day after day? If it does I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to run another test wear it for a full week, every day, and then see how long it runs after you finally take it off. I doubt if there is anything wrong with your watch.

4. guyh33 Apr 2, 2020

To be fair I’ve not yet had the full opportunity to test on a day to day basis yet as I was mainly checking on the power reserve as wanted to see if I could get through a typical weekend. I accept the real life test scenario you mentioned could be worth trying so will see how this goes and let you know.

In response to if I have wound this enough, the point in which I determined this was a fully wound was when the I felt a very obvious ‘slip’ a couple of times whilst turning - happy to be corrected though!

As this has been my first purchase apologies if I am worrying for no reason but your comments are much appreciated!