Forums Latest Members

New Omega 8500 Planet Ocean is super accurate!

1. Bach88s Apr 23, 2016

I am not bragging, but I have 3 Rolexes. A gold submariner, a new Explorer 2, and a new Daytona. They are exceptionally accurate. Within 1 to 1 and 1/2 seconds a day. Well my new Omega planet Ocean is unreal as well. It is running the in house 8500 movement and set to the atomic clock 3 days ago. Its running 1/2 second fast over 3 days.

Is this typical for these Omegas running the 8500 movement to be this good? I have never owned one, but want another I am so happy. I am just wondering if this is typical, or I have a super hummer of a watch. One that the stars were all alined just right that day of the build lol. I just didn't think it would have such great accuracy. I actually like it better than my others. So precise and robust feeling. Good job Omega!

OMGRLX, tinger and Baz9614 like this.
  2. alam Apr 23, 2016

This will remain an Urban Legend until pics are posted...

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 23, 2016

Yup need pics. The 8500 should be one of the most accurate movements out there. Your us exceptional. Look up COSC certification.

4. Bach88s Apr 23, 2016

Here you go, safely nestled in their watch caves :)

IMG_2585.jpg IMG_2587.jpg
    OMGRLX, adi4, larryganz and 2 others like this.
  5. Bach88s Apr 23, 2016

Thanks, I new about COSC, but I was thinking this was a darn exceptional running watch. Kinda of a luck thing! When I first got it, it was running a bit weird. I put a manual wind on it and put it in the winder with the rotowind spinning it every 8 minutes. Now I wear it and put it away at night and it runs like a champ.

6. OmegaSean Apr 24, 2016

Hi Bach88s I've got the PO8500 ti bought it last May 2015 and have only had to set it around 3 times in 11 months all due to me not wearing it for 3 days. Mine is really accurate I firmly believe that wearing it every day keeps it accurate, like you I'm active in wearing it. The power reserve lasts a good 52 hours and if I'm not wearing it for couple days (unusual) I'll put it on in the evening for a couple of hours before bed and it keeps running fine. I'm hoping not to wear it out due to all the use ;)
    OmegaSean

7. Bach88s Apr 24, 2016

Hello OmegaSean. I agree. Here is the honest truth. I got it form the dealer in town as a new watch. I got it home and it was losing a few seconds a day. I manually wound it some, and it was still losing 2 to 3 seconds a day for a couple days. Than I put it in my winder, but my winder was on the low revolutions setting. And it was still losing a couple seconds a day.

I looked up on the Orbita site and it said the Planet Ocean needed the higher setting. So I set the winder to spin more and than synced the watch the next day to the atomic clock. It is so accurate now. Deviating 1/2 second in 72 hours. Maybe a tad over 1/2 second. Its my most accurate watch. So I wear it and at the end of the day I just throw it on the winder. I am impressed!

OMGRLX likes this.
  8. meganfox17 Apr 24, 2016

Hiyee @Bach88s

Your PO 8500 is pretty accurate I've the 2011 model & running about +/-2secs/day

Since you love Watch Accuracy & Precision , i have coined a couple of words for the WIS dictionary. It's time for you to own the PO 600 8900 MC[emoji4]

● Chronophile

● Horolomaniac

● Tempus Obsessionum

Edited Apr 24, 2016
  9. jcmartinez98 Apr 24, 2016

My 8500 PO runs about -1 second per day
    Versus my dsom which runs about four seconds fast per day

Bach88s likes this.
  10. Mr Bing Apr 24, 2016

If mine gains or loses time I've never noticed and never felt the need to test it...it's super-accurate and never lets me down. The only time it gets a change is on a 30 day month.
    It's a real workhorse and you've made a great decision. Congrats.

OMGRLX and Bach88s like this.
  11. Bach88s Apr 24, 2016

LOL Exactly!!!

Miss_Bourginskay and meganfox17 like this.
  12. larryganz The cable guy Apr 28, 2016

Nice. All in my list of dream watches, but I have only snagged 2 of the 4 so far - the Explorer II 216570, and PO 8500 (in titanium).

But instead of the Daytona I got an Omega 45th anniversary Apollo 13 Silver Snoopy Award last month.

Instead of the WG Smurf Sub, in the past two months I also bought a whole mess-o-watches for just about the same price - a new Titanium Planet Ocean 9300 liquid metal on bracelet and rubber strap, a new Omega Speedmaster X-33 Ti Solar Impulse on NATO and bracelet, a new Omega X-33 Ti Skywalker for my son, a like-new Planet Ocean Liquid Metal Limited Edition, a barely used black Rolex Explorer II with 3186, a new Grand Seiko SBGX115 white dial diver, a new Seiko Titanium Astron Limited Edition, and a new Bulova "Dave Scott" Moonwatch.

Bach88s and sky21 like this.
  13. sky21 Apr 28, 2016

I think you came out just a little bit ahead here Larry... Amazing last two months you've had!!

larryganz likes this.
  14. Bach88s Apr 28, 2016

I am very impressed with my Omega. Just love that watch! You have made some great choices.

OMGRLX likes this.
  15. George J Mar 21, 2017

Great to hear you are impressed with the accuracy of your Omega but can you let us know how impressive it is now after several months later. I had the Seamaster 300 Master CoAxial with the 8400 movement (same as the 8500 but without the date complication) and it started out very accurate within 1 second a day for the first 6 months and then after that its accuracy was very erratic. Had the watch for 14 months and it was running about +6 s per day even after Omega Service regulated it to run about 1.5 s/day. I was not impressed with my watch and in the end sold it to buy a Rolex SubC.

16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 21, 2017

All my watches run at... oh wait... i dont know, i dont really care.

Just me, i run on spanish time anyway

cvera and meganfox17 like this.
  17. cvera Mar 22, 2017

What a list of watches.

I have a 2500 planet ocean.

Just got serviced and I've read enough threads to know they are typically pretty accurate.

I haven't timed it though. Just check my phone and watch periodically throughout the day and they seem to match up.

Glad to hear the 8500 is doing well, I will probably get one in the far future.