Forums Latest Members
  1. requiem1008 Mar 1, 2020

New to watch collection and got a 300M Seamaster as my first Swiss watch. Got it during Christmas and I loved the watch. One sunny day when i was outside I saw a white spot under the 8 o'clock position. I thought it was something on the sapphire crystal, try to clean it and nothing happened. After I went home I took a closer look and found out the white dot is on the dial. Originally I thought it was a spec of paint and I contacted the AD in Las Vegas where I got it, the person ensure me that it would not damage the function of the watch and offer that if it bother me I can send the watch back to them and they'll take care of it. Orignally I thought it's not gonna bother me, but it end up being an eye sore for me so I took it to an AD locally where I live to have them to have a closer look. They placed it under a magnifier and determined that it's not a paint spot but a chip on the dial. Really sad to hear that but shout out to the AD they said they'll take care of everything. Just our of curiosity, is this common among the new Seamater with ceramic dial? I would say it's a little bit discouraging this is my first watch and I have to send it back after 2 months. 20200226_134134.jpg 20200226_124851.jpg 20200226_125146.jpg

2. phcollard Mar 1, 2020

It's really microscopic. Can you see it with a naked eye? I couldn't even if I looked hard.

Probably a dust speck of some sort. I would not bother sending it back, but that's just me. Enjoy you new watch!

3. requiem1008 Mar 1, 2020

yeah it was pretty obvious under bright environment (like under the sun or under bright white light), the dealer spot it before I even pointed out where it is.

Edited Mar 1, 2020
  4. gpssti4 Mar 1, 2020

You have paid a lot of money for a luxury item. You should be happy with it. It has a fault and Omega will correct it if you are unhappy - send it back

requiem1008 and Tekashi_145.022 like this.
  5. Tekashi_145.022 Mar 2, 2020

Premium brands should deliver premium quality. Certainly, after only 2 months in, I’d get it replaced.

Is it a big deal? Perhaps not. But neither is a wave dial, or an embossed logo... plenty of the craftsmanship you paid for is something observable only under close scrutiny, and/or a loupe; but you paid for it, and it should be proper.

Ceramic is not easy to work with (mass manufacturing of it for wrist watches is still relatively new), and it’s possible it left the factory with this defect and the crack has grown over time. I imagine this kind of defect happens regularly during manufacturing, but this one simply slipped through QA. Or - it’s been there all along, and you’re just now noticing it.

On a semi-related note, you may enjoy reading about the art of enameling porcelain on super high end pocket watches. https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/patek-philippe-2526-enamel-dial-donze-cadrans

Edited Mar 2, 2020
    requiem1008 likes this.
  6. Graemega Mar 2, 2020

Looks like another spot to the left of the 12 o’clock marker?
    Things like this would bug the hell out of me once I spotted it!

7. stevec14 Mar 2, 2020

I was about to say the same thing. I assume it’s the same and not dust on the crystal

8. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Mar 2, 2020

I agree it looks like dust.

Yeah have it sent back. When I bought my Meteorite Speedy way back when there was clear speck of dust under the crystal(it looked similar to your mark there) . I took it back and asked for it to be removed and the AD agreed and sent it back. It was back on my wrist within 2 weeks. No hassle, just get it done.

9. Wetworks Mar 2, 2020

And above the 'E' at Swiss Made.

10. AntonisCy Mar 2, 2020

I had 2 watches replaced due to some kind of residue on the dial (mainly) and other issues.. When i noticed some on the 3rd one too i just gave up! As others have said i dont think there is such a thing as a perfect watch (at least not at this price range).

Millenary Watches likes this.
  11. dinexus Mar 2, 2020

This sorta thing used to drive me crazy, until I realized that dust and/or imperfections in lume application could be found (not always, but pretty commonly) at just about any price level. The advent of high-megapixel camera systems makes it really hard for imperfections to hide from the watch's owner, but let's not forget that at the end of the day, these are still products that are largely assembled or finished by a human.

If it's visible to the naked eye or from an iPhone without magnification, Omega will probably make it right, but I think it couldn't hurt to temper your expectations accordingly.

requiem1008 likes this.
  12. requiem1008 Mar 2, 2020

nah..., all the other spots are just the glare from the light