Forums Latest Members

New (old) purchase is leaving me confused, can you help?

1. jimmyd13 Feb 19, 2017

My Google-Fu isn't helping, folks, so I'm turning to your combined expertise!

I am the worst (best?) type of collector ... if it calls to me, I buy it. If it's broken. If it needs love. If it is crying out to be saved ... then it usually speaks to me louder. Loud enough to overcome that voice in the back of my head telling me I don't know enough to risk this purchase.

That's what happened yesterday. I have no buyer's remorse (but I am thinking about going back to get that Explorer as well). Yesterday, a very neglected Rolco was the thing shouting out loudest.

Now, first glance, this is trench watch with an Aegler (undecorated, though) movement. It's gold filled. It's damaged, missing at least the regulator, and is non-running ... but damn if it doesn't clean up well. Someone's obviously attempted a repair - there are loose and missing screws - but I have no doubt a man I have in mind can get this running.

A whole host of photos are going to follow but the questions first:

the case and movement suggest mid to late 1910's ... but I know Rolco wasn't registered until 1927. I have heard of earlier examples, but nothing before 1920. The signed Rolex wheel does suggest that the watch is earlier and, surely, by the time Rolco was registered, they were producing Oyster cases? Can any of you throw light on the movement and piece as a whole?

IMG_20170218_1459569.jpg IMG_20170218_1500216.jpg IMG_20170218_1501365.jpg IMG_20170219_1913029.jpg IMG_20170219_1913122.jpg IMG_20170219_1913315.jpg IMG_20170219_1913572.jpg IMG_20170219_1914217.jpg IMG_20170219_1914459.jpg

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 19, 2017

Here is a good article on the history of Rolex. There is a section on "Other Brands", which covers Rolco.

http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/myrolexpage.php

Not sure what to make of the "Rolex" brand on the winding wheel. Usually on a Rolco, it would be matching. As I understand it, anything is possible with these watches, so we may never know for sure.

The hands and dial scream 1930's to me, and I know that this style was made by many manufacturers through the end of that decade. So I do not think that it would date before the founding of the Rolco brand in 1927.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

jimmyd13 likes this.
  3. jimmyd13 Feb 19, 2017

Thanks @gatorcpa - I've already read that article twice :)

The hands are blued, leaf ... I haven't taken the movement out but seriously wondered if the dial wasn't porcelain. To me, and I stand here ready to be corrected, that means they could be anywhere in the early 20th century. The font doesn't shout deco to me either .... maybe that track might, but I've not found a similar Rolex font to compare the numbers to.

Like I said ... I'm just confused. Maybe we might get lucky and find some details under the dial.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 19, 2017

Some points to consider:

1. I do not think the dial is porcelain. My guess is some kind of painted metal.

2. Black or blue leaf hands are a very 1930's style. Here is a very 1930's Omega from my collection.

[​IMG]

3. Omega had a very similar dial on a pocketwatch from a 1937 catalog.

[​IMG]
    See the dial at the lower right.

3. I was able to find a similar vintage Rolex watch with a gold-filled "Buffalo Quality" case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Early-...-Buffalo-Quality-039-Circa-1930-/201000664123Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

The engraving on the case dates it to 1930. This is a wire lug, rather than a swing lug case like yours. But again, it's in that "trench watch" style and made well after WWI.

My thought is still that your watch dates between the beginning of Rolco in 1927 and the mid 1930's.

Funny thing is that I would have though the words "Buffalo Quality" would be indicative of a US market piece, but the example above, which is clearly a UK model has changed my mind.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

jimmyd13 likes this.
  5. jimmyd13 Feb 19, 2017

Great stuff - I'm loving the detail

Now, the "buffalo quality" is bugging me too, but you've just made me make a connection in my mind ... there was an american company making "20 year" gold filled cases with Aegler movements and some strange ties/vague connection with Rolex ... it's just not coming to me ... but it will ... let the cogs turn ... Fortune!

OK, that brought me to the American Watch Co and a dead end.

You've got to be right. It's the conclusion I was working towards. There should be no way that a trench watch case should be made by Rolco. And who'd want to plate a trench watch anyway? So, that leaves us with Mr. Willsdorf wanting to use up a stock of old cases, maybe even some left over old ebauches ... what better than to plate them and sell them under a new name? The ebauches aren't decorated yet; the cases are out of fashion; but put all this old stock together under a nice new name, with hints towards the quality of Rolex and ... voila. Or, I could just be in need of a drink.