Forums Latest Members
  1. schoolboy Aug 27, 2020

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Jesus, I am a high school math teacher, and I am from the state of Texas, USA.

I've been into watches pretty seriously for about 2 years now.

I have a Seiko skx013, a Timex Marlin 34mm, a Rolex Datejust 36, and I bought a Hesalite Speedy Yesterday!

I'm excited to see what I can learn on this forum, and to eventually contribute some of my own knowledge as well.

Thanks for having me!

LesXL, apsm100, Pun and 4 others like this.
  2. wagudc Aug 27, 2020

Welcome, congrats on the new Speedy. I am a math professor in California, so we have two things in common. I just got done teaching a Zoom class.

20200827_153525.jpg

3. schoolboy Aug 27, 2020

Hi!

Thanks for the welcome :)

I’ve been teaching using zoom as well

I miss the face to face interaction :(

lovely watch by the way!

how long have you had that one for?

4. wagudc Aug 27, 2020

I inherited the Speedy from my Dad almost two years ago. It was given to him by his father for a college graduation present in 1971. My grandpa was a jeweler and it came from his shop. He engraved the back himself with my Dad's name and the date of his graduation. The watch has been part of my life as far as I can remember. My dad always said that it was the pinnacle of mechanical watches and that is why they took it too the moon. Of course one could quibble with that statement, but I generally accept it.

Your Speedy is a very special watch that has a noble lineage.

For zoom teaching, I have found that it is so valuable to get them to turn on their video and then use gallery view. Trying to teach without being able to make eye contact is soul draining to me. Also having one on one meetings helps.

I really like Geogebra classroom, and use it for in (zoom) class activities. I can send some links that got me started on it if you want. Just send me a private message.

Edited Aug 27, 2020
  5. schoolboy Aug 28, 2020

Hello again Wagudc!

I am using my iphone as a document camera, and then sharing the iphone screen via zoom. That is how I get the students to write notes and such. I can only see 4 faces as I do this though.

I have heard of Geogebra but have never used it, currently I am using Khan academy for assignments and videos as resources.

I will send you a PM.

Bye!