Forums Latest Members
  1. RomanRomanov May 17, 2022

Hello everyone!

I've joined recently to feed my Seamaster obsession and read up on the topic. Have to say that I am amazed at this community, people are so friendly, rarely do you see this online :)
    I have started collecting wathces about a year ago when I bought a nice little Timex. Since then I got a couple Tissots, an Orient diver, a Chicago Bulls watch from the 90s and a beautiful Mido Baroncelli Heritage. And all this time I've been looking at Seamasters, specifically Aqua Terras. But just can't pull the plug on it since I've never spent this much money on anything, leave alone a watch. Passed up on a couple good deals for quartz ATs and now I'm looking and 2 quartz Aqua Terras avaliable for sale. Both are the same model, one with a silver dial, other with grey. They go for about the same price, white one is from 2012 with box and all the papers, one owner for all this time. Condition is good, aside from a noticable scuff above the dial. But seller said that he had a couple wheels inside changed since he messed up the movement while changing date at the wrong time. How bad is it, that the watch had this issue and been serviced (authorised service and original parts)?
    The grey dial one is supposed to be in better condition (haven't seen this one in person yet), but year is unknow and sold w/o box and papers. Can't decide on what dial I like more, any tips to help decide would be much appreciated.

Sorry for the long post, have a good day everyone!

2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan May 17, 2022

Thanks Roman,

And welcome to OF. Most of us started out like you, as lurkers/watchers before taking the plunge and joining in.

Members are always happy to chip in with advice or comment but we really need you to:

* post photos (preferably clear and sharp) of all parts of the watch(es) and the movement serial number should disclose to you the age of the movement.

* tell us which photos show issues that cause you concern

* and an indication of the price you’re being asked

RomanRomanov and Duracuir1 like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 17, 2022

No worries about the long post mate, it's better than some "how much is this worth" posts.

As @Spruce noted, before you put money down, post pics of your intended watch purchase and any info you are able to contribute.

Cheers
    Jim

RomanRomanov and Spruce like this.
  4. RomanRomanov May 17, 2022

Thanks for the responses.

Here's the photo of the silver dial AT (ref. 231.10.39.61.02.001) the scuff I was talking about is at 12 hour mark on the bezel, price after negotiating a bit is $2150.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are the grey AT photos (ref. 231.10.39.61.06.001) also $2150

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For the silver one the main concern is the service that has been performed on it after the seller broke the date changing mechanism. As for that scuff - it doesn't bother me that much, also might be able to bring the price down a bit because of it. The watch looks amazing nevertheless.
    Both of the watches miss extra links, but are sized to my wrist. However 1 extra link would be nice just in case.
    @Spruce you said that the serial on a movement should disclose the prod. year, but isn't it supposed to just say the time period watch was made in? E.g 2007-2012?

Spruce likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 17, 2022

Go the second.
    Box and papers on a model like this and not bought new by you are ….Meh

So to put it if I had a choice of box and papers and a scuff, or no box and papers and no scuff….
    No scuff all day.

wagudc and RomanRomanov like this.
  6. TheGreekPhysique May 17, 2022

I agree with @STANDY Box and papers are the cherry on top but condition should be 1st priority always.

mrbreen and RomanRomanov like this.
  7. RomanRomanov May 17, 2022

Ok, thaks for the help everybody! Will set up a meet with the grey dial AT seller and if it is really in that good of a condition I'll probably go for it. And also how liquid is that particular model? I mean if I ever have to sell it - will it be difficult?

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 17, 2022

How many have you found ….and what is the price range. The best person I would ask How liquid this model was is You ;)
    Your the one researching this model::book::

RomanRomanov likes this.
  9. Dan S May 17, 2022

You can always sell a watch at the right price. But don't expect it to increase in value.

RomanRomanov and 140dave like this.
  10. OneTwo May 17, 2022

Welcome to the forum! And I second both sentiments from above: condition over box and papers on this model and a watch can always move at the right place.

RomanRomanov likes this.
  11. RomanRomanov May 18, 2022

Well, in the last couple months I've seen 4 of them have been sold for +/- $400 from the ascing price for this one. So I guess that answers my question :) Adds a bit more confidence to a purchase like this. Thanks everyone, you have helped a lot!

12. BarbVl Aug 4, 2022

Welcome to the forum and i am glad that you received the help..Regards.