New member says hello

Hello everyone

This is my first post here. I created my account a while ago, but I've never posted anything. I am a teacher living in Belgium. I recently became a father of 2 beautiful daughters (twins) and hopefully I can give them each a beautiful watch as a gift in the future.

I actually got into watches because of love for the speedmaster. After collecting 3 speedmasters i started to fall in love with vintage watches and especially with the constellations. I also have a lot of other watches from Seiko to Rolex and everything in between. I also like to modify Seikos, but at the moment I mainly read about Constellation pie pan watches. I currently own 5 of them. Three steel versions and 2 gold versions. I'll post them sometime soon.

The love for the Speedmaster is a bit gone lately. I think the watches are way too big since I mainly wear vintage watches now. I used to prefer the larger watches, but now I prefer to stick with 36 to a maximum of 38 mm. I currently own 2 Speedmasters that I might want to sell some day. We'll see. They are both full set.

I admit that sometimes I pay a bit too much for a watch. But I'd rather have a copy that is in order than a cheaper one that has something wrong with it. I like to read what's on the forum here and i am also familiar with Desmonds blog. Hopefully I'll meet some like-minded people here.

Many timeless greetings from me
Marcel
Edited:

Welcome;

The Speedmaster was my first watch as well. It will always remain my favorite.

I like to self service my watches. The Speedmaster requires some fixtures and tools I do not have. So in some ways it has lost it's luster. The lack of service parts more than anything. It seems frustrating to have to find someone who is 'trained.' so they can order parts. There are also no 'certified' places I can drop the watch off for a basic service, which is mostly case and gasket work. I am also wary not of adding more dings and scrapes. The bezel is somewhat ratty now, after 30 years of wear.

Working on a 150$/EU watch is one thing. A valuble watch is a different feel. Especially when dealing with the precision side of things.

As a lady I have the advantage of collecting the smaller watches. I was surprised when I measured the speedmaster and the Chronostop how large they are.

My preference is for watches in the 20 to 32 mm size. I have also been playing with the generics from the late 1940 and 1950s. Especially the seamasters, which I have a few of.

Constellations are nice. And the Pie pan is one of my favorites as well. By chance this was one of the first watches I serviced (under the tutelage of my mentor.) One will not find a nicer watch.

Again welcome and look forward to seeing more of your collection.

Hello and welcome.

Speedmaster was my first watch too. I now have two, but one of them is certainly redundant and has to go at some point.

Totally get your feeling for smaller watches. Initially I thought that 40-42mm is the sweet spot for my 19cm wrist. Then I started wearing 36mm Omegas from the 40s, while recently I got a 34mm DeVille that honestly wears quite nicely.

As for prices, if there's one thing this forum has tought me, is that I'd rather overpay for a great example, than underpay for a subpar one. Wish I would have caught on that when I started, like you did.

Cheers and see you around.
Edited:

Bonjour/Dag,

Welcome to the forum! And congratulations on your new arrivals 😀

Looking forward to seeing your collection, and any Longines you might have 😀

Greetings from Brussels.

Welcome! We need to see some pictures of this collection! Especially the Constellations.

Hello, this is my first post. I am thinking about selling my grandfathers Constellations watch. Needs a lot of TLC. If anyone’s interested .. ? 😀 unfortunately I don’t have the box or paperwork anymore. The original omega strap is unattached but available for sale, as seen in photos.
Hey there, hijacking someone’s introduction thread is not the place the post your watch. Also, forum rules are you need at least 200 posts here to list a watch for sale. You may want to delete your post and start fresh perhaps with an introduction of your own.

Welcome @Nico_Marcel! That sounds like a nice collection. I would love to see some photos, and a larger one of your avatar watch. It looks like a real beauty!

Welcome @Nico_Marcel !
Speedmasters, constellations : looks like you’re in the right forum 😀
We need pictures now !