Forums Latest Members

New Member saying hello....my Omega journey

1. DougFNJ Jan 24, 2019

Hi all,

Went to the Omega Boutique yesterday (Short Hills, NJ) and had a great chat with the sales guy. I was impressed at his own passion for watches. He didn't just talk about his product, he had a love for it. We were talking about watch forums, and he mentioned Omegaforums. I have used it as a resource for reviews and tips. That visit prompted me to finally join.

Quick background, when I first got into watches, it was G-Shocks with major interest in one day owning a Tag Heuer. One day when going to a jewelry store looking at Tags, I saw the Blue Bond Seamaster. I had seen it discussed at various forums, but it was a bit more than I could spend at the time. I tried it on and felt the comfort of that bracelet, and knew I was one day going to have one. I did a lot of buying and selling watches. At some point, I turned a Hamilton X-Wind to a Doxa 750T Sharkhunter to an Original Blue Bond Seamaster Quartz and good cash. That watch was beat up, and I quickly sent it to Nesbitts who I had heard did incredible work. I got that watch back looking brand new, I was totally impressed with the refinish, and especially the watch. The obsession began. about a year later, I went to the gym, put my watch in my locker like I do daily, went back to my locker being open, lock cut, and my beloved Seamaster was gone along with the cash in my wallet. I insure my watches, the Insurance company couldn't locate the older version of my watch, so they sent me a brand new one.

I eventually wanted to get a black version, preferably in Automatic. I wasn't nuts about the wave dial on the black, seemed like it was made for the Blue (to me). I hit a milestone in my career where I had incentivized myself that if and when I hit it, I may get a Rolex in my collection. Interestingly, prices went WAY up on a Sub, and at the same time Omega released the Black Ceramic Seamaster. I pulled the trigger, and I still love that watch. I love the ceramic and how the shine changes the look on it depending on light. The ink black dial distinguishes this generation Seamaster as it's own. I modified it with the Seamaster style bracelet which to me perfected it. It no longer looked like the black version of my blue Seamaster.

Exploring around the Omega forums, I regularly peaked my eye on the Speedmaster. Another watch that I never thought I would be able to get. I hit another milestone in my career, and felt marking the occasion with a Speedmaster would be great. These watches give me extra appreciation for what they stand for. I hunted and eventually landed a classic, and I hate to say it, but the hand winding and lack of date. I knew what I was getting, and really thought I could get past it, but too many times the watch stopped running when I picked it up to wear, and I didnt realize how much I relied on the watches date until I didn't have it. I worked out an incredible deal with my jeweler and got the highlight of my collection, a Speedmaster moonwatch with 9300 Coaxial movement, self winding and date with the icon was a dream. It was the version on black leather, I worked it out with the jeweler to swap the leather out with the bracelet. I got it in incredible condition. The only blemishes were on the edges of the bezel. Thats where the Boutique came in yesterday, I finally ordered a new bezel. Today I went to the service centre in Secaucus and they were able to swap the bezel while I waited. Its condition is as if I just picked it up brand new, I am over the moon (Pun intended.)

I have enormous gratitude that I am able to to have these 3 in my collection, all of them meaning so much to me. That's my story, and I would love to hear yours if you'd like to post it. Prompts great discussion. Here is a team photo:

576e1c2017be941781da098b49547e52.jpg
    RMA, siguzzi, WYO_Watch and 17 others like this.
  2. dinexus Jan 24, 2019

Nice collection (that's my favorite Speedy to date), cool story, and welcome to the forum!

DougFNJ likes this.
  3. Jerseyhammer Jan 24, 2019

Welcome

DougFNJ likes this.
  4. DougFNJ Jan 24, 2019

Here’s some updated photos with the Seamaster with Speedy bracelet.

CDBB9836-BC06-4DDD-8FF0-52CA50E1D50C.jpeg 9014AA9C-693F-4BD0-9D5A-95DFD77C398B.jpeg CBEF5F5A-5D37-4A9C-8D57-B0DC94B838D7.jpeg 6BC632CE-D9FA-46A6-B6EB-BF5C979E077F.jpeg
  5. Cipolla Jan 24, 2019

Hey, welcome to the forum. Nice collection, Thankyou for the pictures

DougFNJ likes this.
  6. KingCrouchy Jan 24, 2019

Cool Story, thanks for sharing and welcome here!:thumbsup:

DougFNJ likes this.
  7. dputydwg1 Jan 24, 2019

Yep great story about how you got interested in Omega's

DougFNJ likes this.
  8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jan 24, 2019

I love watch stories and yours is great! Welcome to the Forum!

DougFNJ likes this.
  9. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 24, 2019

Good story, and welcome. You probably already know this, but "Speedy" style bracelets have long been available on Seamasters. Here is my 2255.80 for example :)

Sunny Blue.jpg

Jerseyhammer and DougFNJ like this.
  10. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jan 24, 2019

One more thing...

What's cool about your blue Seamaster is that one particular characteristic of this model has come full circle over the last 20 years: wavy dial, to smooth, back to wavy :)

DougFNJ likes this.
  11. L Tigre Jan 24, 2019

Instant/classic collection, for sure. Your great grandkids will argue over these someday, hopefully far off in the future.

+1 on the modern-edition speedmaster with date and self-winding. New racing speedy is my daily driver. I respect the classics but a daily wearer for me needs date and automatic wind; without these I am lost.

DougFNJ likes this.
  12. g-boac Jan 24, 2019

Welcome Doug!! Nice set!!

If looking for inspiration or suggestions for your next moves - you won't go wrong with adding a Speedmaster Professional Ω1861 (and later, an Ω321) to your collection!! :)

DougFNJ likes this.
  13. Au79 Aluminium Jan 24, 2019

Very nice. Welcome!

DougFNJ likes this.
  14. Evitzee Jan 25, 2019

Those three watches are all very nice but the Speedmaster Moon with automatic movement just isn't a substitute for a real manual wind Speedmaster (like a CK 2998 case, or the Moon Watch version, both with the 1861 movement. Unless you really get into the spirit I don't see any need to go find a 321 movement.) I enjoy picking up a manual wind watch in the morning and winding it up for the day, it's a nice feeling to interact with the mechanism. And the date is everywhere, on your phone, on your tablet, laptop, desktop, a date on a watch is pretty superfluous these days. I suggest you reconsider a Speedmaster in the future, one really belongs in an Omega collection. I recently acquired the Speedmaster Moonphase watch with the same 9904 movement you have but I don't consider it any sort of replacement or substitute for a classic 1861 movement watch. It's just a different animal; different case size, different dial layout, different movement.

DougFNJ and garryap17 like this.
  15. DougFNJ Jan 25, 2019

Thanks for the welcome guys, I look forward to participating and getting to know you guys.

The original bracelet for the Seamaster is definitely one of the most comfortable in my collection. The Speedy bracelet is also very comfortable, and there was an interesting thing I found. On the classic quartz, I am guessing because the watch is lighter and a bit thinner, the bracelet for that lays so perfectly on my wrist. I use the 2 half links on either side of the case, and it gives me the perfect fit, something so well balanced with it. On the Ceramic Seamaster, same bracelet, just uses screws instead of pin and collar, I didn't find it as comfortable for some odd reason. I put the Speedmaster Bracelet on it with 1 half link, and it fits and wears very comfortably.

As far as the traditional Speedmaster Professional, the weird thing was, I had a difficult time finding the perfect fit. There were no half links, just the micro adjustment. It was spaced in a way where tighter was just slightly too tight, looser was just slightly too loose where it was flopping on my wrist. The Moonwatch was sized easily and fit perfectly from the second I put it on. I'm guessing the extra size put the longer micro adjustment right where I needed it.

I look at the Moonwatch as a great modern take on a watch with an incredible tradition and history. I really wanted to love that Speedmaster Pro. I tend to be a creature of habit. I work on the road a lot, and I look at the date often. I didn't realize HOW often until I wore that Speedmaster Pro. I suppose if it was the only watch I wore, it would be easy to get into the habit of looking at my phone for the date and winding it ever morning first thing. I'll rotate through my watches every 2-3 days. I also keep my autos on a watch winder. If I wasn't wearing the Speedy Pro for 3-4 days, I would wind it before I put it on, and forget to wind it daily. So halfway through a day, I found myself looking at the unwound watch not realizing the time stopped, and thinking, "boy this day is dragging". After having that watch for 6 months, I found there were too many compromises and found I wore it less and less. I called my jeweler and asked if he had the Moonwatch in, and was very lucky he had just gotten one in. We worked out a trade in, along with a great deal, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I understand and respect the purist's outlook when it comes to the traditional Speedmaster, but this is definitely the best version of the Speedy for me.

16. Evitzee Jan 25, 2019

You are the one wearing it so you have to do what fits your lifestyle. Enjoy it in good health.

DougFNJ likes this.
  17. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 25, 2019

Welcome to the forum from Laguna Beach, California.
    laguna beach.jpg

DougFNJ and Jerseyhammer like this.
  18. elmar2001 Jan 25, 2019

Welcome, nice journey! Have fun here.

DougFNJ likes this.
  19. RMA Jan 25, 2019

Nice trio.

DougFNJ likes this.