Forums Latest Members

New Member Post - Seeking Details on Grandfather's Omega

1. rogerbrewin Oct 15, 2016

I sure love this watch and have not had much success confirming much about it. I can say grandfather was the original owner. I would appreciate information on age, suggestions for ongoing care, possible valuation for insurance and thoughts generally from the smart folks here.
    Thanks in advance IMG_2460 (Medium).JPG IMG_2462 (Medium).JPG IMG_2463.JPG IMG_2464.JPG

mozartman, Giff2577, GregH and 3 others like this.
  2. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 15, 2016

Your grandfather had good taste.
    Most likely, from the appearance of his watch, a careful man.
    I don't think insurance is an issue. It is not extremely valuable in monetary value.
    As a memory of him it's a great piece.

Dr No, Ravineman, OMGRLX and 2 others like this.
  3. Rman Oct 15, 2016

Nice all original watch from the sixties. If you could have a watchmaker remove the caseback and get us a photo of the insides it would lead to more detailed information. Imperative that you find a watchmaker who will keep it original and perform a sympathetic service without overpolishing or even polishing at all.
    Very nice family heirloom!

Edward53, OMGRLX, drhex and 2 others like this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 15, 2016

Removing the caseback will be difficult. The movement is accessed from the front by removing the bezel/crystal.

Find a watchmaker who knows what to do and get the watch serviced to give another five years or so of reliable operation. Repeat at about five or six yearly intervals.

Value for insurance could be about USD$600 or so.

The dial is unusual and very attractive with those retro numerals, a very nice watch.

Giff2577, OMGRLX and rogerbrewin like this.
  5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Oct 15, 2016

I have never seen whacky numerals on an authentic Omega before. Clearly because it has been taken care of and everything else screams "I am an authentic Seamaster!!" there is no reason to doubt it...

New one for me!

Tom

rogerbrewin likes this.
  6. Edward53 Oct 16, 2016

I had one with an identical dial to this, also with that champagne finish. I have always regretted selling that watch. Mine was case ref 14765 61 SC with the calibre 552 automatic movement. The movement number was in the late 18 millions which put it at 1961-62. I suggest you get it serviced but NOT by Omega who will charge the earth and are liable to replace things like the crown and hands, which you really don't want. You have a lovely original Seamaster and should keep it that way. A watchmaker competent in vintage watches should be able to service and regulate for you with no problem. Properly regulated, a 552 movement in good shape will keep time to within 5-10 seconds per day or even better. I go along with JimInOz's valuation but I think it's a nicer watch than its monetary value. Personally I would put it on a tan leather strap, but whatever you do make sure to keep that buckle. Wear it in good health!

rogerbrewin likes this.
  7. jimmyd13 Oct 16, 2016

Variations on prices are always interesting - here, these retail £450-900 entirely dependent on condition and (post-service) I would say this is right at the top end. I know our pound is crazy now so I might even have to nudge that top price higher. Certainly if you were looking to replace the watch, I'd have to recommend an insurance value up near the £1000 mark (here). That said, watch insurance is cheap and can be included in your household - just check on total limits for claims and if the item needs to be listed.

rogerbrewin likes this.
  8. rogerbrewin Oct 16, 2016

All,
    Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions. Much appreciated!