Forums Latest Members
  1. jer1382 Jun 20, 2016

All first off I have gained some very good knowledge from this forum and am now asking for your assistance. Could anyone provide guidance on the below omega. It is a monocoque case and the seller is unsure of the movement. Would it be safe to consider if this is an original as he states that it is a 562? Does everything look appropriate for this Seamaster. Forgive my lack of knowledge. Thank you all in advance.

image.png image.png image.png
  2. cimo Jun 20, 2016

Looks nice. I like the 12-6-9 markers especially. Hard to tell from the photos but it appears the crosshairs is correctly centered (original).

Very likely a 562 but potentially could be a 560 as well (I think, not sure if they made these in steel).

I have one in gold with a similar dial that is a cal 560.

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 20, 2016

I would ask for movement photos before deciding, unless the seller allows returns.

4. jer1382 Jun 20, 2016

No return policy and he is not able to open the bezel to verify. He agreed to $550 for for the watch would this be a reasonable price.

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 20, 2016

He's able, he just doesn't want to go to the effort. That's not an unfair price but I don't buy cars without looking under the hood and the same goes for watches.

kingsrider, Vicke and jer1382 like this.
  6. jer1382 Jun 20, 2016

image.png

7. jer1382 Jun 20, 2016

Hope this is a better photo in regards to alignment.

8. dr_ranger Jun 20, 2016

Completely agree. Especially when it comes to vintage Omegas like these. I would be hard pressed to purchase one without seeing the movement, especially off eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jer1382 likes this.
  9. jer1382 Jun 20, 2016

I appreciate the feedback I am leaving the military and this is a retirement gift to myself so I want to make sure I'm getting what I'm paying for. Thank you all.

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 20, 2016

It looks to be a nice sound examle.

Due to the fact that these are front loaders (movement can only be removed after removing the bezel/crystal) many of the movements have not been tampered with by the scissors/pliers technicians and are usually in good condition.

The dial and hands don't appear to have been affected by moisture so it's a good chance that the movement is also unaffected.

I personally would have no hesitation on buying this one, based on those points.

UncleBuck and jer1382 like this.
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 20, 2016

PS: I would not push the seller to open the watch just to check the movement. Unless they have the correct tools and the skills they could do more harm than good.

You can get it done by a proper watchmaker and you still have a return option.

jer1382 and kingsrider like this.
  12. jer1382 Jun 20, 2016

Thank you for the advice. I have got a couple places near me that can take a look at the watch for me and if it doesn't check out the seller agreed to a return.

wadkin1 likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2016

Spot on - I can assure you not everyone is capable of opening one of these without damaging things. And opening it is the easy part...

jer1382 likes this.
  14. jer1382 Jun 23, 2016

Received the watch today and it is running amazingly and keeping time. I will want to get it services since the seller does not recall the last time it was. I just need to find a reputable shop in the Raleigh, NC area. Thank you all for your assistance and guidance. I truly appreciate it. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

ahartfie and fjf like this.
  15. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Jun 23, 2016

That's a handsome timepiece. Congratulations and wear it in good health

jer1382 likes this.