Forums Latest Members
  1. crd Nov 12, 2021

Good day to you all! I would like to take a moment to introduce myself to the fine folks of this community. I have been scouring this forum for only a few weeks now, but in this short time I feel so much more informed. I am of course by no means an expert, but I feel like I have access to tools and resources to make better decisions about watches going forward.

I don't aspire to become a collector in the traditional sense. I appreciate many aspects of wrist watches but at the end of the day I consider them fashion accessories and can't imagine owning one that I am not willing to wear. No offense or judgement towards anyone who feels differently, I just thought it was useful to share my take on it.

Growing up during the '80s and '90s I remembered a fair bit of enthusiasm for digital watches all around me. However, I was always drawn more to mechanical watches with analog hands for time keeping. I'm sure I was influenced by my father having an affinity for analog clocks; we always had an antique 'grandfather clock' that would chime every 15 minutes and he always wore an analog wrist watch.

I don't have anything special but over the last 15 years I have acquired 5 watches that have stuck with me (I swear I'm not a collector!). A few of them I rotate every few days or so as casual accessories, one of them I reserve for special dressy occasions, while one is a true beater that I reserve for sports and physical activities.

I have yet to spend more than a couple of hundred US monies on any one watch, although I have always had a fondness for the Moonwatch… I have never before considered a vintage watch because I knew that the second I started going down the rabbit hole of understanding the minute tells of authenticity, originality, and uniqueness I would drown in debilitating possibilities. So here I am with you lot :)

I have read through the speedmaster101 overview and assessment guide. I'm this close to ordering the esteemed Moonwatch Only book. I would like to eventually possess an honest vintage pre-moon speedy but I am in no rush at all as I want to be as informed as possible when I am ready to rip that cord and I also want to allow my tastes to settle. As for my tastes today, I am most drawn to the 145022-69 with a DO90 bezel but I am flexible for that to change over time. For that I am planning to budge 12k and I'm looking at a 10 year horizon to be able to purchase a gift for my 50th birthday so I'll be squirreling away spare change every month into a dedicated investment account for the occasion.

In the meantime, I'm thinking of picking up a new or very gently used Hesalite 3861 for around 5-6k. I'll keep my eyes peeled on the FS forum here. I have come across a couple in other places, but for some reason I'm more inclined to do a trade with someone who has reputation here.

Sorry if that was a bit long winded but I'm happy to be here and look forward to spending more time with you folks :)

2. JwRosenthal Nov 12, 2021

Welcome @crd

So you have introduced yourself formally-check
    You have shown your interest in learning more about watches- check
    You have stated your long term goals- check
    You have expressed your interest in shorter more realIstic and attainable goals- check
    You have flattered the knowledge and trustworthiness of this community- check
    You only forgot one thing- pics of your watches!

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 12, 2021

Agreed this gentleman has the right idea and approach which is always great to see, welcome mate!

4. crd Nov 12, 2021

Fair enough. Included, you will find my modest selection to date. On the far left is a quartz Citizen with a date complication at 3 o’clock. Next up is a diver from Maratac. At center is the G-Shock. Next to that is another entry from Maratac, their pilot style. And finally on the far right is a Lum-Tec M42 Phantom.

FC0915F1-AC6B-4272-B9A8-589D40EE5A9F.jpeg
  5. cvalue13 Nov 12, 2021

I notice that watch box has five open slots available …

Edited Nov 12, 2021
    janice&fred, paddymoran, crd and 2 others like this.
  6. JwRosenthal Nov 12, 2021

You gonna help him with that? :whistling:

Waltesefalcon, cvalue13 and crd like this.
  7. crd Nov 12, 2021

The thing that got me spending more time here a few weeks ago was the prospect of what appeared to be a really nicely priced Seamaster from the ‘50s at an auction house. What I realized was that I don’t know nearly enough about vintage watches to make an educated guess but that there are absolutely some watches from that era that are extremely attractive to me. So I figured I would pass on that particular piece and instead spend more time reading up on threads and discussing details with the knowledgable folks here so that I might eventually find something that appeals to me for a fair price that I feel comfortable with.

Taddyangle, iamvr, Alpha and 2 others like this.
  8. JwRosenthal Nov 12, 2021

50’s 60’s seamasters are a minefield of redials and cobbled watches- lots of “field repairs” were done by neighborhood watchmakers back in the day, some good, some bad. Being able to spot the details that speak to originality is the key to finding a prize. And the good ones pop up here regularly in the sales section so check often.

crd and Duracuir1 like this.
  9. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Nov 12, 2021

And once in a while you luck out… but this was pure luck and nothing else. My wife bought it for me, but when I wear it she asks: “so which one is that now?” The auction photo was blurry. So as written above. Be careful.

04A5C4AC-6C3C-4856-87E1-7A83A6B5254D.jpeg AEBC1D55-0E6B-4F05-BC51-EF43E2AFEBD6.jpeg

10. JwRosenthal Nov 12, 2021

You need to keep your wife out searching for watches.

aggie, cvalue13 and Duracuir1 like this.
  11. JwRosenthal Nov 12, 2021

12. cvalue13 Nov 12, 2021

Perhaps you’ve caught on already, but folks around here are mostly focused on the collectibility of items like 50s/60s Seamasters. Used here, “collectibility” meaning roughly that (1) the more original the better, and (2) the more pristine (eg factory finishes, not subsequent refinishes) the better. It wouldn’t be unfair to think of these folks as mostly having the mindset of museum curators: they’re often seeking or at least comparing to unadulterated time-capsule pieces; and even better an unadulterated piece that is somehow rare (maybe few models were made, or maybe a model had a variation that was uncommon).

Now, this mind-frame you should keep in mind informs much of the information and advice you’ll see here.

But it’s not the only mind-frame that can be relevant to a buyer such as yourself. Sometimes, a buyer may not care so much about originality or rarity, and instead be looking for something that is simply aesthetically pleasing and can be worn well (perhaps especially without the watchful eye of a museum curator upon you).

This second mind-frame is a completely valid one, which difference in mind-frame really all comes down to price. An unadulterated piece can be expected to involve a premium, whereas a modified piece should be expected to involve a discounted price.

The trouble is, in the watch world there are far too many watches that are modified but still at a premium, because to most people they’re difficult to discern.

The point of all this: when people here are talking down about “redials,” or unoriginal pieces, or polished cases, for the most part those critiques are framed by the associated price of the piece.

I have a somewhat “cobbled together” 50s Seamaster, over-polished, and that I nonetheless think is beautiful and a joy to wear (especially because I’m not worried about molesting a museum piece). That’s a great type of watch to have, if - unlike me - you don’t pay too much for it.

There are certain collectible cars that sit in museums today because they’re all original, with factory paint that looks like the day it rolled off the assembly line; that exact same model probably has a counterpart out in the streets being driven daily, is on its fourth paint job, has a replacement motor, but looks and sounds great. The trick is merely to not pay for the former but receive the latter.

13. crd Nov 12, 2021

Very well put. One of the things I like to do in new communities like this is to comb through old threads to help me discern things like who are giving feedback and where they’re coming from. I’m then able to take feedback objectively and make more well informed decisions for myself.

Something I learned a long time ago is that when someone asks me for help, they are usually doing so because they perceive that I have some experience that they are lacking themselves. I always try to remember that the information I provide to them is but a fraction of the many inputs that ultimately inform their final decision. As such, I won’t be offended if they take my suggestion as gospel, ignore it entirely, or anything in between. Once I’ve provided the information, the decision is out of my hands and I can be happy for them that they made the decision which made the most sense to them at the tim

cvalue13 and JwRosenthal like this.
  14. crd Nov 12, 2021

Thanks for sharing! I did notice this post just shortly after responding to early comments here. I have reached out to Dave as it seems we may be close enough to meet in person. Serendipity like I’ve never seen! I expected to maybe come across something in the next few months, but nothing so quickly.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  15. JwRosenthal Nov 13, 2021

That would be awesome. Don’t be put off by a tiny ding on the bezel (which he clearly discloses) it will be the first of many to come. All part of the life with watches we love.
    And on the point of serendipity, I had been wanting a Watchco SM300 for a while, had been saving my pennies, and reached out to a member I knew had one but wasn’t in love with it. He was local so we met up and had a lovely time on a bench at the National Botanic Gardens. Sometimes it’s meant to be.

16. crd Nov 13, 2021

Yeah I’m not bothered in the least by that little blemish

17. JwRosenthal Nov 13, 2021

crd and cvalue13 like this.
  18. crd Nov 13, 2021

19. JwRosenthal Nov 13, 2021

Black dials- original black dials, not repainted dials, are a true rarity for vintage Seamasters like this

aggie likes this.
  20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 18, 2022

Nice post, though for someone who look older than Darwin I thought you would have more watches :D