New Member Intro: Mutha1966

Hello,

I am a new member here trying to learn as much about vintage watches (Omega & Longines) as I can before dipping my toe in the market. I don't currently own any vintage watches , however I'm trying to replace a sentimental watch (father's Patek Philippe given to him by my grandparents in 1952 when he received his Naval Aviator Wings) that was stolen during a 2007 move from CONUS to Japan. As a retired Marine Naval Aviator, and soon to have two more Naval Aviators (one son Marine and one son Navy), I'd like to pass along something special to recognize their achievement.
I can see this hobby has many holes with multiple branches that could occupy a great deal of time. I have many hobbies (boats/cars/running) and I hope to be able to share them with my kids. Thanks.

Cheers,
Bret

Welcome, and many thanks for the intro. As you probably know, there are many vintage watches associated with aviation, civilian and military-issued. If that's a potential interest of yours, it could be a good topic for an entire thread.

Welcome to the forum and it’s definitely a hobby that you can rabbit hole down many avenues! Thanks for your introduction as it’s nice to hear your story and it also reminded me that I still need to learn more about whether my grandfather, who was a naval aviator as well as naval attaché to Norway after his flying years, was issued any watches during his service. Looking forward to seeing how your watch story unfolds and pictures of the watches are always appreciated!

Welcome mate, if you’ve still got some good contacts in Japan, there’s some really good opportunities there right now with the currency where its at.

With Veterans Day (US) coming up soon, I'll take this opportunity to say thank you for your service! Multiple Marines in my family tree including a brother who flew helicopters in the Marines.

Welcome to this crazy club.

Thank you for the warm welcome and the helpful responses to my inquires.

Welcome, hopefully we can help you on your search for a great watch, and thank you for your service from the son of a Marine.

As you may know RezZMan123, it is the families of those who served that should receive recognition. I chose my path, but the spouse and kids most likely had little choice in the matter, but were along for the ride!

Semper Fi Mad Dog. Kind of appropriate before our 248th Birthday!
Thanks, sir…just so you know, I’m a Navy dude.

Can I still get some cake?

😁

Yup! My father and oldest son are rust pickers.

Ha!

That vid is fantabulous! 👍

And…“rust picker”? Ha! That’s pretty good…I haven’t heard that one. I’ve heard “anchor clanker”, “swabbie”, “squid”, and “paint chipper”…but not “rust picker”.

Welcome and thank you for the introduction. Lots of good people here and the accumulated store of knowledge on OF is incredible. Chances are good that whatever your vintage watch questions may be, someone here will have the answers.

Welcome and thank you for the introduction. Lots of good people here and the accumulated store of knowledge on OF is incredible. Chances are good that whatever your vintage watch questions may be, someone here will have the answers.
+1 and welcome!

Well I jumped into the market. I bought 2 watches, a Longines recommended by a few forum members and an OMEGA Seamaster. The Breitling is a watch I bought new back in 2003.