Forums Latest Members

New member here...(this being my 2nd post)

1. nimzotech Jul 26, 2020

Hey guys!

I've mentioned earlier that even though I am new on this forum - I've been lurking for some time. So far I only own one Omega - a vintage at that. It is a watch that easily flies under the radar - but this is part of it's charm.

This little Geneve is powered by the 565 workhorse movement. I got it off the bay with the original Beads of Rice Bracelet.
    omegagenevebor.jpg Movement is super clean, and the watch keeps very accurate time. The case has some scratches and scuffs so does the bracelet. But nothing to be an eye sore. The watch is from early to mid 70's and in overall "Good" condition. I love the applied Omega logo, the simple design, and the mesmerizing champagne dial. The only thing that is no longer working is the Lume. The tritium has passed it's life. I was debating whether to get it re-lumed but decided against it. Not necessary.

Here it is on a vintage strap.
    omegageneveleather.jpg

After acquiring the Geneve, I became an Omega fan. And I have something coming in the mail next week...

Cheers

Syrte, Engee, alam and 5 others like this.
  2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jul 26, 2020

Great choice

nimzotech likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo Jul 26, 2020

@Radiumpassion, is that you? :D

Welcome to the forum, @nimzotech - that Genève is looking good, looking forward to seeing what you have incoming :thumbsup:

Are you sure the BoR is original? I would have expected a different version of bracelet on such a "new" watch.

4. janice&fred Jul 26, 2020

I would go as far to call it in excellent condition. Gorgeous original dial and nice sharp case. I wouldn't consider reluming. Leave it original is my thought. The bracelet is a nice bonus and to me no matter whether it's from the same era as it is genuine and really makes the watch pop on the wrist.

OmegaP99 likes this.
  5. Radiumpassion Jul 26, 2020

Welcome! And cool avatar..... Btw are you also into rusty
    german pre-war lightning?:)

D6CBD381-C1BF-4CC3-AE05-8614FCD98857.jpeg

AveConscientia and nimzotech like this.
  6. nimzotech Jul 26, 2020

Thank you @Spruce, @ConElPueblo and @janiceandfred !

While checking the Omega website the geneve with caliber 565 is shown on a leather strap. So now I am not sure if the Geneve ever came on Bor or not. My BoR if not original Geveve edition, is an authentic Omega.

omegaBOR.jpg

On the inside, inscribed is Stainless Steel1036 , with an encircled "30" to the left.
    IMG-2171.jpg

OmegaP99 likes this.
  7. SkunkPrince Jul 26, 2020

It is, alas, not the factory-approved match for your Geneve, being approximately ten years earlier.

If you have the case number, we can look up what the factory intended it to be worn with.

As for reluming, you'd need the correct hands for that, first. There is no place for lume in the hands you have. Originally, they would have had onyx in them and a space for lume at the tip of each hand.

nimzotech likes this.
  8. nimzotech Jul 26, 2020

Haha!
    Great minds think alike.
    Love the pre-war lamp.
    I first learned about Bauhaus in an elective undergrad art History class. Even though art is not my major I was captivated and appreciate the motto - Design follows function; And not the inverse.
    The Avatar is cool and simple. My first German watch was the Max Bill. Oh boy, did that open a can of watch collecting worms.

I like all things Vintage, the more vintage the better. Quality over quantity. Things were built to last, how things have changed... That lamp is still standing strong. My 45 + year Geneve keeps close to perfect time, at least on par with some modern day automatics out there, if not better.

What fascinates you about that pre-war lamp?

AveConscientia likes this.
  9. nimzotech Jul 26, 2020

Other than the “166070” - reference number, the case number seems illegible.

7E90DAB2-118C-4F9A-B546-E7E425BDB4AA.jpeg 59CB288E-E5D8-4C40-8B58-2ED33F97398A.jpeg
  10. SkunkPrince Jul 26, 2020

166.070 (old style), 166.0070 (new style) is the case number!

1168/605 is the bracelet and end link combination you want.

nimzotech and janice&fred like this.
  11. OmegaP99 Jul 26, 2020

Terrific first Omega, one you can easily wear for life as it's a true classic form. People who don't even know Omega will recognize it as vintage. These dials pop in the sun a bit more than they appear in photos, timeless and minimalistic to suit your tastes it seems.

nimzotech likes this.
  12. nimzotech Jul 26, 2020

Wow !
    Very impressive indeed. Thanks . Shows how little I know. Now the search for 1168/605 begins.

In excitement, I just realized Omega used case numbers just as reference numbers are used nowadays!? Is that correct?

Cheers

Edited Jul 26, 2020
  13. SkunkPrince Jul 26, 2020

Actually, no, they still have case numbers, but the reference numbers are on the Omega site and are easy to cite when necessary. Most people don't have the tools to disassemble their watches and those that do know that opening a new watch invalidates the warranty.

nimzotech likes this.