Forums Latest Members
  1. GordonL May 25, 2017

hello folks,
    I've joined recently and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Gordon, I live in Scotland and work as an engineer on radar systems. I've been an Omega fan since I got a (hardback) copy of "The Moon Watch" a few years back. As an engineer, I was VERY impressed that a mechanical watch would not only survive, but continue to keep time over the range of environmental test scenarios that NASA imposed on the Speedmaster back in the 60s. Back in the late 1970s I worked on the bombing system for the Harrier aircraft - it contained analogue computers which were at least as complicated as watch movements, and I know how difficult it was to keep them operational. Andf they never went anywhere near space!
    While I can't see myself being able to afford a "Speedie" for a while yet, I would like to buy myself an Omega - maybe a Constellation or a Seamaster. Vintage, not recent!

I'm so impressed by wealth of information available on this forum. You can be sure I'll be reading everything very closely before committing funds to a purchase. The very range of the stuff on ebay puts me off - can I generally assume that the watches for sale on this forum are what they claim to be?
    cheers

Gordon

Foo2rama, PhilN, ahartfie and 6 others like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 25, 2017

First thing you have to do is get yourself a beagle.

3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 25, 2017

No time like the present. You can start modest and build. The advantage of this "club" is that there will be guidance for you if you are willing to accept it.

4. Maganator May 25, 2017

Hi Gordon

Where are you based? There's a couple of us from in and around Edinburgh.

In answer to your question - yes. The vast majority of watches for sale here are what they claim to be. It would be very hard for an unscrupulous seller to pull one over the collective eyes of the forum. There are experts on so many brands here that if you are trying to sell an item that is not as described you will be pulled up for it.

Enjoy your time here!

patrick1616, SouthernScot and Larry S like this.
  5. SouthernScot May 25, 2017

Welcome to the forum Gordon, this is a great place to find all the information you could want on watches, from a friendly bunch of people.

I'm sure @Alpha will be along soon and you will understand the beagle comment from @cicindela.

I grew up in Thurso but have lived in southern England for many years hence my user name.

Have fun!

6. GordonL May 25, 2017

hi I thought the "radar systems" bit would be the clue - I've lived here in Edinburgh since 1979.

7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector May 25, 2017

Hi Gordon and a warm welcome from myself, avatar explains it all ;)

You have certainly come to a fine place, plenty of information plus a lot of fun.

Larry S likes this.
  8. GordonL May 25, 2017

they look like lovely dogs, but our 2 cats might have something to say!

Larry S likes this.
  9. bags1971 May 25, 2017

welcome I found the guys on here really helpful when buying a couple of vintage seamasters

10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 25, 2017

Hi Gordon -

Welcome to the forum!

11. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 25, 2017

Welcome to the Forum Gordon. Great first post!

12. R3D9 May 25, 2017

13. R3D9 May 25, 2017

Funny and true story you might find amusing. I first met my great grandad when he visited us in Canada during my very early teenage years.

He was asking me about my plans for for the future... what did I want to be when I grew up? I had long hair at the time and listed to Metallica and Slayer (still do, damnit) and I answered something like: "I don't know - I doubt I'll end up being a rocket scientist or a nuclear physicist or anything like that... to which he responded: "Well I'm a nuclear physicist!!!"

The entire room supposedly burst out in laughter. I only have a vague recollection of it, but my Mum never lets me forget. It certainly put the pressure on to at least obtain my undergrad :)

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. Omega1 May 25, 2017

Hi Gordon and welcome to the forum oh and the only thing I can tell you about the watches you will see here is that I really really really like them........the wealth of information here is endless good luck..

SouthernScot likes this.
  15. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 25, 2017

The Scottish contingent is growing :thumbsup:

Larry S and SouthernScot like this.
  16. Don Bocadillo May 25, 2017

Another US based Scot here lads!! Welcome Gordon! You will I'm sure find the plethora of Omega related information and deep knowledge of our fellow members a great help in your future Speedmaster adventures and beyond!! Cheers!

SouthernScot likes this.
  17. GordonL May 25, 2017

Thanks for all the nice welcomes!

18. GordonL May 26, 2017

I should have added that I've been active on eBay for many years now with the username 8557caroline. 100% positive feedback.

19. Edwinowl May 30, 2017

Welcome Gordon, like the e bay username, sweet. Errr. Oh well
    Fairly new here too and to be fair I've collected vintage for a while now also got quite competent at servicing my own stuff. However these guys are on another level knowledge wise and I'm impressed to say the least, let's say if these guys don't know the answer then we've no chance!

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 30, 2017

Welcome to the forums! A few of us are a bit jealous of you Scots and your easier access to the fine single malts your land has to offer.