Forums Latest Members
  1. Blacksmith Dec 28, 2014

Hello everybody on Omega Forums many seasonal greetings and may you all have a happy new year.
    My name is Mark and a forty something year old engineer manufacturing armoured vehicles in the united kingdom.
    I got hooked on mechanical watches about 5 years ago, purely because the mechanical complexity fascinated me and i had a urge to repair broken watches.
    Next step purchase a watch of ebay and repair it. Lots of reading and self teaching now i class myself as a keen amateur watchmaker.
    Many watches later i find myself concentrating on Longines and Omega vintage watches from 1940s to 1970s.Purchasing them from traditional auction houses then restoring , servicing and enjoying them.
    Here is one of my latest buys a Longines Flagship case ref 403 18kt gold.Many thanks to longines for a email confirming the watch was invoiced to Sherly in Hong Kong in 1960. ebay guchi clock 002.JPG

ebay guchi clock 002.JPG
    Nobel Prize and khmt2 like this.
  2. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 28, 2014

Welcome to the OF!

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 28, 2014

Welcome aboard! I admire your ability to work on watches, especially as it is self-taught.

Your focus is familiar to many collectors, not only because of the two brands, but because it encompasses the so-called "Golden Era" of watchmaking. I prefer the '50s through early '60s, with some exceptions on either side of those dates. I also, coincidentally, happen to have a real soft spot for the classic, early Flagships, of which yours appears to be a nice example.

Cheers,

Tony C.

Edited Dec 28, 2014
    Blacksmith likes this.
  4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 28, 2014

Welcome Mark. There are several of us watch tinkerers on this forum - that is the official term for amateurs according to the pros.

There are also quite a few Brits here as well and even a few Scots - well certainly @Alpha comes from north of the wall.

Start posting pictures of dismembered watches and you'll find the forum love them.

Blacksmith likes this.
  5. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 28, 2014

Yes a big welcome, the Scottish contingent is steadily increasing :thumbsup:

Blacksmith likes this.
  6. Blacksmith Dec 28, 2014

Thanks for your kind comments here are a couple of photos of the Longines flagship 30ls during service.
    Movement out of case and dial removed showing dial side of movement.Next photo of movement without balance wheel.Photo 3 is movement without most components but with new main spring fitted. longines flagship 009.JPG longines flagship 022.JPG longines flagship 031.JPG longines flagship 039.JPG Finaly last photo is of complete movement timed to within +- 3 seconds a day ready to fit to case.

khmt2 and Stewart H like this.
  7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 28, 2014

Thank you! Those type of service photos are much appreciated. Among other things, it's always interesting to see fine finishing (i.e. perlage in this instance) on plates that would only normally be seen by watchmakers. The 30L and 30LS have strong reputations among vintage collectors, and for good reason.

8. jud Dec 28, 2014

Wow. Welcome aboard. I was going to say welcome to the insanity, but you have a far more advanced case than many of us. Nice work!

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 28, 2014

Like you I admire and love mechanical movements...unlike you I have no idea what I'm looking at or how to fix it. Encouraging though....