Forums Latest Members
  1. Rane Jul 23, 2016

Hello to everyone from Finland!
    Im new member here 26years old, and new fan of Omega watches :) All started from a need to buy one good watch for daily use, but after some research I got interested more and more about watches and kept reading infos about them. Dont know why, but Omega was the one which I have to get :D
    Im not looking Omega for daily use, cause new Omegas are way too expensive for me at this point. And vintage Omegas Im just gonna use rarely. Instead I am looking for a vintage suit watch for allkinda party occasions, like weddings etc.
    The problem is for me, that i dont know how much fakes is there, and to spot fake is still hard for me. There is so many things to know and check from watches :) Also the price range is really wide.. I know that I am probably going to make some mistakes on buying Omegas, and end up getting fake etc. And I am prepared for that, but I would like to get some basic tips and I hope that i can get some good advices from here.
    I will be posting pics and infos about watches which im interested, and i wish i get help from here :) I am interested of buying vintage watch from other forum members too if you got some just laying around.(I would trust that no fakes on these forums)

Well lets get to business :) I did read from internet that almoust all vintage Omegas r worth 200$+? So if this is true, I cant go much wrong if i buy Omega for 200$ or less..?
    Iv been watching couple Omega seamasters from auction here in Finland. One is seamaster cosmic ref 136.016. There is some spots on the dial plate, but other than that it should be in good shape.. Date changes between 6-7pm, is that bad? wristband isnt original..
    Second watch is seamaster cosmic too but automatic Cal 565. Overall it should be much better condition than first watch.. wristband is leather and it says it is new Omega, can that be fake? This is offcourse much higher price too..

Are those watches worth collecting? And how much does affect on price when some watches have like year or name signed on the back? Thank you for replys :D I can put some pics from watches when i get em :)

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 23, 2016

$200 is asking for trouble

I paid $400 for this and expect $300 for a service without parts so your $200 price will be something rougher

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Edward53 likes this.
  3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 23, 2016

I would save my money and buy something in better shape. If you are able to buy one for $200.00 that doesn't require $300.00 worth of service, you are one lucky SOB.

4. Rane Jul 23, 2016

first omega is here
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second automatic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

what does experts say about these watches? forget em or buy? :D first watch starting price is at 150€ in auction, second is 490€ to buy immediatly or I could suggest to seller some price..

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 23, 2016

No movement photos, no deal, IMO. Beyond that, photos aren't good enough to make much of a determination on the first. It does look like there's some serious damage to the dial. The second one looks a lot better (should for the price) but I would ask for a straight on photo of the dial and, as I said, photos of the movement.

6. Rane Jul 23, 2016

OK! ty for reply, i will ask if seller can give me photo from movement.. :)

7. Rane Jul 23, 2016

btw, is it bad price from first watch, if it would sell less than 200€? when its dial is in that bad condition? I know its not good for collecting piece, but maybe for spare parts, or selling? :)
    And i really didnt get replay for my question, does year signs or name signs on back of the clock lower price much?

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 23, 2016

Yes, unless it's on a rare watch.

9. Rane Jul 24, 2016

Okay thanks :)

10. Edward53 Jul 24, 2016

I suggest you don't even think about buying for the next three months. Spend that time researching instead, and the watches will still be here after that. Impatience is the great enemy of the collector and the great friend of the unwise purchase.

11. cristos71 Jul 24, 2016

Generally buying these sub $200 Omega's with holes in the back case and/or severely damaged dials and hoping you strike it lucky with a bargain price or a potential future sales profit is a somewhat naive venture.

A bit like picking up a scrap yard early 1980's Rolls Royce, it might be cheap to buy, but by the time you've fixed it up you will have haemorrhaged some serious cash.

I advise you to take your time,triple your budget, to around $600 or so and buy something here.

Euxinus and efauser like this.
  12. Rane Jul 24, 2016

Ok ty.. im not in rush.. :) Just cant wait to get first omega in my wrist ;) Any good tips where i could study more about these watches? Been reading alot these forums now, but i cant really understand these allkinda movement and dial things cause so many of em and how can i know that are they original, and what movements are best or common ones etc..? Alot for me to learn here :) thanks for tips :D

13. cristos71 Jul 24, 2016

Here is a great place to study. But first you have to figure out which reference or couple of references it is that have caught your interest and then do your research. There are no short cuts except that now you can vet your future purchase here, which is a great advantage for a newbie.

A lot of us have paid very much noob tax in the past before we learnt to avoid all the pitfalls that you can skip by having had the smarts to discover this place before you bought a poor example or frankenwatch.

14. Rane Jul 24, 2016

Hehe ok ty.. I will be spending time in these forums :) I will post some watches here when i find something interesting to buy :) these seamasters that i posted earlier are forgotten :) first one is in too bad shape, and second one havent aswered to my mail, where I asked pictures from movements..

15. Rane Jul 25, 2016

What you guys think of this?
    Omega seamaster memomatic from the 70's?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Crown is replaced ic..? Is this otherwice worth picking up? :) thanks alot!

16. fjf Jul 25, 2016

..The other side of the caseback...with the model number...essential to identify the watch...?

17. Davidt Jul 25, 2016

You seem to be all over the place with what you're looking at.

It might be worth spending some time looking through various threads and WRUW to decide what style you'd like and go from there.

You're going to struggle to learn much when you're bouncing back and forth across various styles and periods right from the off, due to the huge variety in styles and designs that's out there.

Edited Jul 25, 2016
    cristos71 likes this.
  18. Rane Jul 25, 2016

Uh oh.. oh man.. ppl here r giving so bad pictures :D gotta ask.. good to know that need to check that too.. where u find idenfity info with those numbers then? Sry i am beginner in this and still practising :D

19. Rane Jul 25, 2016

Hehe.. im trying to learn about these watches.. And Im just watching vintage watches and when i find something intresting im asking for advices :D and learning from feedbacks :)

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 25, 2016

Actually, there's a good chance that the crown is original, but the gold plating has been worn off. That happens a lot. Factory replacements exist for these, but some people say to leave it alone.

These are fairly complicated watches and if they need service, it won't be cheap. Just be careful with these.

I'm in agreement with @Edward53, you should slow down and not buy anything for several months while scouring eBay and looking at completed auction prices. It's not enough to know what is and isn't real. You need time to understand what the market is doing.

It's the same as buying and selling sports cards, Dutch tulip bulbs or any other collectible.

If you swim with the sharks without protection or knowledge, you're going to get bitten.
    gatorcpa

Edward53 likes this.