New member: advice on 1960s Seamaster

Hello

Please could I ask for any thoughts about this watch on Chrono24?

I have always liked them and am attracted to this version because of the pulsations bezel, I am a doctor. It seems overpriced compared to other similar watches, such as this one which I understand has a more collectable movement.

Forgive the very naïve questions, I have not bought a vintage watch before but have been wondering about these for a while, but have literally no knowledge about how to spot a good (or bad) one.

Thank you

CamUK

Please post the pictures - links deteriorate or disappear, so photos help maintain OF as a forum of record. Also, subject experts will thus be more readily stirred from their laboratories / lairs / slumbers.
Thanks, and good luck with this and other stages of your watch voyage.

Like 3
Hello

Please could I ask for any thoughts about this watch on Chrono24?

I have always liked them and am attracted to this version because of the pulsations bezel, I am a doctor. It seems overpriced compared to other similar watches, such as this one which I understand has a more collectable movement.

Forgive the very naïve questions, I have not bought a vintage watch before but have been wondering about these for a while, but have literally no knowledge about how to spot a good (or bad) one.
Thank you

CamUK
these are very attractive watches- there are cal 861 and cal 321 movement versions- the 821 are less expensive but still desirable- but as a first vintage watch this is the deep end so do some research. There is a nice one in the Private Sales forum here from an established OF member and collector which is fairly priced- have a look
https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-145-006-cal-321.163068/

And here is an in depth research thread on 145-006 model- the kind of thread that makes OF great- have a look to learn a lot about these.
https://omegaforums.net/threads/145-006-145-016-seamaster-chronograph-research-thread.77145/

Good luck and take some time with this!

Very nice reference. I know strictly nothing about these, but the case in your first link stands out quite a bit, and looks slightly too good compared to the dial and hand condition. Perhaps reassembled with a NOS case?

Like 1
Hi, no hesitations here .. the 321 is the one .. and less expensive ..just my opinion ! Good luck !

Thank you for the thoughts so far.

To add the photos, as suggested.

The first watch:
Capture_ 2024-06-16 at 16.57.34.jpg
Capture_-2024-06-16-at-16.57.34.jpg

Capture_ 2024-06-16 at 17.00.07.jpg

The second watch

Capture_ 2024-06-16 at 17.03.11.jpg
Capture_ 2024-06-16 at 17.03.18.jpg

There is no photo of the movement of the second watch.

Thank you again.

First one with 861 movement appears to be re-cased with NOS case or case has been refinished.
Second one with 321 movement appears heavily polished.
Look at the one for sale in OF Private Sales better example of 321 movement and lower price
I have no connection with that sale btw.

Like 1
I would echo those last comments - also be aware of corrosion within the movement itself, which is evident here. Whilst it can be isolated and no problem, it can also run deeper!

Hi, no hesitations here .. the 321 is the one .. and less expensive ..just my opinion ! Good luck !
I'd agree.
I thought I had see one for sale here in the Private Sales section, and found it back... Not sure if it was sold already.
Here

I'd agree.
I thought I had see one for sale here in the Private Sales section, and found it back... Not sure if it was sold already.
Here
That’s one I am referring to I think still FS

Like 1