Forums Latest Members

New Longines Record range (with photo!)

1. danielbird193 Nov 2, 2019

Tried searching this site for some opinions on the relatively new Longines Record range but I couldn't find any references. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions? Even better, has anyone bought one and is able to give a hands-on review (and pics!)

I ask because I tried one on today when browsing the watch boutique in Selfridges. I wasn't actually looking for this model but started by trying on an IWC Pilots Mark XVIII. It was the (very friendly and knowledgeable) staff member who suggested trying the Record after I explained that I was looking for a simple three hand watch that I could wear with a suit or a pair of jeans. Although this is nothing like the Mark XVIII, I have to say I thought it was a fantastic suggestion and I'm really taken with the watch.

Apologies for the quality of the pic which was hurriedly snapped on the shop floor, but I've been here long enough to know that it's not a real OF post without a wrist shot.

IMG-20191102-WA0016~2.jpeg

I think the alternate Arabic numerals and baton markers give it a really fresh modern look. The fact that it's a COSC-certified chronometer and would leave me with change from £2,000 is an added plus.

Any opinions?

scapa likes this.
  2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Nov 2, 2019

Looks very nice

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 2, 2019

Nice looking watch.
    My only complaint is the silvered hands against a silvery dial, makes it very hard to read under most lighting conditions.
    Have you checked "readability" in sunlight etc?

4. danielbird193 Nov 2, 2019

Thanks, that's a good thought and something I will check out when I go back to the shop. They make a navy blue dial version as well which looks great and might be more legible, but the date is on a white background. Call me fussy, but it drives me crazy when the date isn't on the same colour background as the dial!!

5. scapa Nov 2, 2019

That's a really nice piece. I agree that it's worth checking out under a range of conditions (available in Selfridges, anyway) to check visibility. although I've had a few watches that are silver-on-white/ivory and it isn't always a problem.

Also a fan of the IWC Mark series (especially the XV) but the date placement on the XVIII triggers my watch OCD. I get why they moved it but prefer the older position.