Forums Latest Members

New Kid - Old Watch - Limited knowledge - Even more limited experience!

1. Inka Feb 3, 2019

Good afternoon,

I recently became the proud owner of an omega watch that has sat in a safety deposit box for the better part of 25 years. Despite the long nap - when wound it started right up and has kept perfect time since. I plan on getting it serviced, cleaned, etc. next week so I am not pushing my luck. I took what I hope are informative enough pictures of the dial, case back, and movement, and it is clear that it needs a good cleaning.

I have spent a good week enjoying the various forum posts and very much appreciate the knowledge, experience, candor, and collegial nature of the community. I wanted to figure out as much as I could from the treasure trove of data shared here and while I have gained a great deal of insight I do have a conundrum that I hope the Omega Forum community can help me with. I will preface my comments on the watch with what some of my friends would call a contradiction coming from me: "I think..." because I have been oft accused of a singular failure to do so. With that warning in mind, I think:

1. That this is a 1957-1962 Tresor with an 18K case (that the 2897 - 2898 SC is what identifies it as a Tresor of that period);
    2. That the 271622 is not a number I can do much with;

So which part of right and which part of wrong am I on that analysis?

My conundrum is that while the movement is marked with the Omega touchmark there is no movement number stamped beneath. Since I have seen several movements listed for the series on forum posts, I was wondering if this is unusual, meaningful, or just bad luck to have no movement number stamped.

Along those same lines, is there any way to narrow down the date range based on any of the markings or aspects of the watch?

I love the watch and hope to have it for many years. I appreciate any corrections, information, or insight that the Omega Forum community can provide.

Thank you. Dial Face.JPG Case Back.JPG Movement.JPG

2. Dan S Feb 3, 2019

Are you sure that the caliber number isn't hidden by the rotor?

[​IMG]

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Omega world Feb 3, 2019

Yes,the serial number is just hidden under the rotor....

4. François Pépin Feb 3, 2019

The serial number of the movement will help you dating the watch.

By the way, unfortunately, the dial has been redone at some point. And the second hand is missing.

Cheers,
    François

5. Inka Feb 3, 2019

Many thanks - I moved the rotor and with a 10x loop I was able to make out the serial number which is 16,082,*** - so a 1958, I think. I ma now off to chase the number a bit more to see what else I can find out. Again - thank you!

6. Inka Feb 3, 2019

Merci, François! I am glad to get your information and a replacement second-hand will be in order. While not visible there are numerous watchmakers initials, dates, and abbreviations on the inside of the case - 1963, 1977 and 1990 are the three I can make out. It must have been the 77 or the 90 where they re-did the dial.

7. Inka Feb 3, 2019

Got it! It sure was small and I missed it the first time around. Thank you for your help.

8. Inka Feb 3, 2019

Hi, Dan S. I did sweep the rotor and there is no number for the caliber number - though I was able to get the serial number so that is a big help. Thank you for your reply and offer of assistance.

9. Dan S Feb 3, 2019

Well, it's possible that some parts of the movement have been replaced in the process of repairs. As noted above, the dial probably suffered some water damage and has apparently been cleaned and restored, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone performed some repairs to the movement as well, using found parts as necessary. One clue is that various parts of the movement appear to be somewhat different in color, although that could be due to the lighting. Given these various issues, it's probably not worth worrying too much about the historical details of this watch, since it is more of a survivor than an all-original collectible. The best thing is to find an appropriate seconds hand, have it cleaned and oiled, and enjoy it.

Inka likes this.