Forums Latest Members

New job, new car, new watch...

1. Chunkylover53 Dec 2, 2016

Hi all, I'm currently looking at the Omega Seamaster below

http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Omega-Seamaster-300M-Gents-Watch/p/17330821/

I've looked at other brands (Tag mainly) but I keep on returning to Omega!

But.. I know very little about watches and to be honest I have thrown rationality out of the window and have purely gone with my gut.

My question - is there any other Omega watch that would be better at this price range (up to 3.5k) brand new from an authorized retailer?

For the majority of the day I will be wearing a suit and working in an office if that helps. I am looking for an all rounder, for example my previous watch was a Casio Edifice that I wore for 7 years (from 15 till 22). Sorry for being so vague but any input would be appreciated.

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 2, 2016

At 36mm you may find this one a little small . Prince William got one for his 16th birthday.
    Look at the 42mm too.

blubarb likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 2, 2016

In the "men's" size it might be tight under a short sleeve. May I recommend a pre owned speedmaster? They sit lower.

Honestly if you want a nice dressy auto. Check out the orient Bambino. Cheap as chips and look great.

gostang9 likes this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 2, 2016

Naw, I don't think he wants to have to wind everyday and the Seamaster's tapered bezel slides under anything.

Bond Seamaster or similar is perfect first watch for a Brit.

5. meganfox17 Dec 2, 2016

cvrle1 likes this.
  6. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Dec 2, 2016

What are you getting for a new car?

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 2, 2016

I'm not British so a member of the royal family daily wearing one does not make a tool watch dressy ;) I will admit a blue dial seamaster on a bracelet might look better w/ a suit then a speedy on a bracelet. But I can't clear a cuff with one. And I'd go Speedy on black leather.

jbarrios and gostang9 like this.
  8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Dec 2, 2016

No, but it can makes a dress watch tooly!

blubarb, Foo2rama and ulackfocus like this.
  9. ulackfocus Dec 2, 2016

Breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth. In through the nose, out through the mouth.

Okay, now count to 10 before you end up bashing somebody for YET ANOTHER silly Speedmaster recommendation.....

@Chunkylover53 - get yourself a proper dress watch like a JLC Master Ultra-thin or something similar. Show some class and sophistication as it goes a long way with the ladies and your superiors do notice tactful, mature choices. Dive and tool watches, especially on a bracelet or rubber strap, should NOT be worn with a suit. Business casual would be fine though.

STANDY and Jwit like this.
  10. meganfox17 Dec 2, 2016

I say.....What car did you buy [emoji68] ? [​IMG]

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 2, 2016

Hey I recommended a proper affordable dress watch in my first post :p

ulackfocus likes this.
  12. Aussie Jim Dec 3, 2016

So what position do you take on red wine with fish? ....
    How about use of shaving brush and manual razor v electric shaver?..
    How about shoes and no socks with suit?

(stands back and waits, fairly confident of response..)::stirthepot::

blubarb, Jwit and ahartfie like this.
  13. gostang9 Dec 3, 2016

Congrats on the new job and new car (like others, I'm also curious what it is...)

As for a new watch, Have you considered the Seamaster 300MC? If you want a sporty/tool watch to wear to work, this is a nice option IMO.

You list a number of 3.5k and also specified from an AD. Have you considered buying used/pre-owned? This can be a great away to expand the type and number of watches that come in under budget.

Something like the following would fit the budget and be a nice alternate watch to the one you mentioned.

Please exercise extreme caution whenever anyone starts giving you hard and fast rules of what is and is not appropriate to wear with what. Ultimately you need to be happy with what you finally choose to purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. gostang9 Dec 3, 2016

This mental exercise would work better if applied PRIOR to posting, and then only effective if it actually stopped the typing and submission of the comment.

@Chunkylover53 - the Speedmaster is a recognized and respected globally as a great watch with a cool story and legacy connected to the "MOONWATCH". This is another great suggestion and should also fit within your budget if you expand your search criteria a little.

. Small nugget of quality feedback here. If you're willing to consider used, a classic JLC could be a fantastic watch.

Ignore this load of rubbish. Most ladies and "superiors" (not a fan of this title) couldn't give a toss what piece of jewelry you've chosen to strap on your wrist. Don't ever buy a watch to impress someone else. Find what you like, then buy and wear for you.

. This is one man's opinion. I meet with corporate executives all around the world on a regular basis, and I see a wide range of watches. There are certainly nice dressy watches that would qualify under this opinion, but there are just as many (or more) who wear sport/tool/chrono/diver/fitness/etc watches. Maybe I'm fortunate to work in much more progressive environments than @ulackfocus, but I've never seen any judgement either for or against anyone on the basis of what they wear. If the OP does happen to work in. Erg superficial workplace and wishes to "fit in", then please survey your colleagues rather than a global forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flingit1200s, Poppydog and mattie like this.
  15. Chunkylover53 Dec 3, 2016

Wow - thank you all for your input. The job is IT related and the car is a 3 series.

I should probably clarify that I won't be wearing a suit throughout the day if that helps. I've looked at all the recommendations and most seem to be edging towards simpler faces - my Edifice was over the top but I still want that "something" on the dial if that makes sense?

Old watch: [​IMG]

16. meganfox17 Dec 3, 2016

Hi @Chunkylover53

You got a Beemer ! Now that's how you get my attention [emoji136]
    Basically you want a versatile edging more towards the sportier side of a cleaner dial mechanical watch which you can dress up and down with a budget of US3500 and Omega rather than a Tag seems to be your preferred choice ?

You will need to decide on the model by trying out the watches at the AD really..

Oh yes ! You actually have a pretty neat very cool mulitipurpose100 m Casio Edifice EFA 133 D 1A xxx ? Why post an internet photo ? Did you misplace old faithful ?
    Was it with the carbon fibre dial or the regular version ?[​IMG][​IMG]The reason i'm highlighting these points are because you're very familiar with multipurpose chunky 47mm solar powered battery operated tool watches. I just pray you wont be too concern about the accuracy or precision of your Omega

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  17. Uniqez Dec 3, 2016

What about this @meganfox17?
    20160915_172640.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

meganfox17 likes this.
  18. meganfox17 Dec 3, 2016

OMG [emoji15] Is that your legendary muscle car ? I have sat in this Mustang GT500 below ( but never driven one before ) which was on display at a place called Publika in Kuala Lumpur last yr. The Mustang came in 2 versions the Ecoboost 2.3 L & the V8 engine[​IMG]

Does the car belong to you @Uniqez?
    Can I make a guess on the version ?
    Ok....lemme see...Here goes nothing..
    I think that's from 2009 , a 2 door coupe Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 V8 pumping out 500 hp & 510 Torque. Hmmm...6 speed manual ? And an amazing stunning colour scheme G5 alloy metal. Did you add some extra bodykit to the GT500 ?[​IMG]How many did I get right [emoji68] ?

ahartfie likes this.
  19. Uniqez Dec 3, 2016

This car belong to VP of the company that I'm working for( and my friend).
    2008 Shelby GT500, 580 bhp with Eleonor body kit. Rest of the specs you got right.
    However, I used to have one with 2.3L ecoboost (such a junk) and one with 3.7L convertible (a bit better). After that I gave up on American Muscle cars.

20150714_185325.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

meganfox17 likes this.
  20. Chunkylover53 Dec 3, 2016

Don't particularly care about accuracy - again the Edifice was an impulse buy because I thought it looked good. I've kept on looking and I'm still going towards the Seamaster but there are so many different types!