Forums Latest Members
  1. t1gz Mar 20, 2019

Hey all, Happy to be here. I was in the market for a new watch after my little dinky Breitling Wings was acting wonky. Started talking to my father who's an enthusiast of many fine watches, he asked what type of watch i was interested in and i said Omega. He digs into a drawer he has not opened in decades and pulls out a Speedmaster for me, my jaw drops and i handed him my breitling in return. Only info i got from him was he said its from the 60s with nothing else to go on. Its in pretty rough shape, besides changing the straps should i be trying to replace/clean up parts? I attached a pic of front and back if any of you could give some input on what to and not to do. Thanks!

There is a scratch under the dome, im not really sure how that came about and if the parts are all original or not but it runs pretty smoothly for being in a box for over a decade. IMG_5269.jpg IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5294.jpg IMG_5298.jpg
  2. vbrad26 Mar 20, 2019

Well that was nice of him.
    Personally I'd just leave it alone for the time being.

connieseamaster and t1gz like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 20, 2019

Have you guessed value yet?

4. t1gz Mar 20, 2019

It was nice of him! sadly this was his most neglected speedmaster, just trying to bring some life back into it.

I think ill leave that for someone more qualified on this board

5. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 20, 2019

Waxtactic likes this.
  6. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 20, 2019

7. WYO_Watch Mar 20, 2019

Now that’s a nice looking transitional :thumbsup: way better than a “new watch”

t1gz likes this.
  8. gdupree Mar 20, 2019

Pfffff. Thats not what I would call rough shape!

Need to see what’s under the hood. It could be a 321, but a transitional with an 861 is just as good to some. You did very well.

nonuffinkbloke and Foo2rama like this.
  9. corn18 Mar 20, 2019

That is an awesome Speedy! I think you are being too hard on it. I'd rather have that one then whatever Omega has come up with so far for the 50th anniversary. Get the case back open and post some picks so we can assign a drool factor. And start a dibs list.

10. t1gz Mar 20, 2019

no disrespect to my new everyday watch, i absolutely adore it, but i was shown a moonphase speedmaster last night and what a sight that was. I will bring it to a shop to get the back off and will take a few pics, will report back over the weekend

11. wagudc Mar 20, 2019

I am quite certain anyone here would trade you a brand new moonphase speedy for that beautiful piece of history. It is in great shape for the age. Have it serviced and cleaned up (not polished) by an independent watchmaker who has experience with vintage watches and will perserve original parts. Members here can give you refferels if you let them know where you are located. Don't send it to Omega. They will swap old for new and ruin the value.

12. corn18 Mar 20, 2019

I would make that trade in a heartbeat!

Foo2rama, t1gz and Waxtactic like this.
  13. Waxtactic Mar 20, 2019

Get this watch professionally serviced and keep it. It’s an amazing piece and you can always start saving for the next one knowing that this beauty serves as the foundation for a life long hobby. Nice get, I’d love to have something like that to look down at and remember my father by. :thumbsup:

14. t1gz Mar 20, 2019

Definitely keeping it forever, and am getting it serviced this weekend locally. Just in awe of how this man had it in a drawer full of junk and not next to his higher end pieces. I was in the hunt for a birth year sub but i think this is a lot better and has more meaning than me over paying for an old watch

Waxtactic likes this.
  15. boogedyboo Mar 20, 2019

Rough shape? That watch is in excellent condition considering its age!

16. corn18 Mar 20, 2019

In case you are wondering, that watch might be worth $7k+ depending on what you find inside. The DON bezel is a beauty, the case looks super sharp and unmolested and that dial is just dreamy creamy patinanini.

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 20, 2019

WAIT!!!!!!!!!

This cannot go to just anyone to get serviced....

The value is in the original hands, bezel, and dial! Also do not have the watch polished!!!!! the wrong service will ruin the look and value of the watch. Additionally many watchmakers cannot remove those hands correctly to protect the lume and paint on them.

Where are you located so we can recommend a good place to do it.

Waxtactic and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  18. t1gz Mar 20, 2019

I like your enthusiasm, im a casual enthusiast and just learning about the history now thanks to you guys.

19. t1gz Mar 20, 2019

Located in NYC, theres a watch maker a couple miles away whos been in business for over 40 years and has rave reviews but mainly for Rolexes. Just going to drop by and see what he says not set in stone yet.

20. dscoogs Mar 20, 2019

Sounds like it still runs. Listen and count the beats for 10 seconds. If you get 60, the movement should be a cal 861 and your watch could be a Transitional 145.022-68. If you get 50, the movement should be a cal 321 and your watch could be either a 145.012-67 or 145.012-68 (more rare - Apollo 11 Mike Collins's reference). Speedmaster101.com is your friend if you want some reference on bilateral price.

t1gz likes this.