Forums Latest Members

New Here! Can't Decide Which Should Be My First Omega??

1. jarbaz Jan 7, 2016

Hi Guys,

Looking at venturing into buying my first Omega and have come across a couple that I kind of like but was wondering if any of you could give me your opinions??

The first watch is a 1963 Omega ref.131.001-63-SC. Handwinding cal.286. Diameter 34mm without crown,lug size 18mm. Watch is all-authentic dial,hands,case,movement
    Omega Black.JPG

The second is a 1974 Omega wristwatch tv case 625 CAL. 17 Jewel. Original Band.
    square.JPG

The Third is a Omega cal. 601 Hand Winding 17 Jewel. Width of the watch without crown is 34 mm. Original Dial and Crown.
    military black.JPG

The fourth watch is 1964 all original Omega cal 611 Hand winding 17 jewel Measurement 34.5 mm.(without crown).
    silver white dial.JPG

I am kind of swaying towards one of the black dial watches as I currently have a white dial Maurice Lacroix and Longines but really just want a nice classic Omega for my first one so am not fussy with the colour of the dial.

Any suggestions would be great, including others to look out for:)

Jarrad

2. mackguy Jan 7, 2016

My vote would be black and gold, but I don't see a bad choice among them. I've never been a fan of square cases, but that's just me.

3. jarbaz Jan 7, 2016

Yeh I'm not crazy about the square either but it is kind of different which I think is why it is growing on me.

4. mackguy Jan 7, 2016

They have their place... I picked up a 1950 Longine 9L rectangular case to scratch that itch.. Would like a Cartier Tank or JLC Reverso someday but those are out of the budget for a very long time.

5. LawBrk Jan 7, 2016

I'd say look at the FS boards here, probably find nicer pieces with nicer prices and nicer people. :thumbsup:

watchknut, JohnSteed and jarbaz like this.
  6. fbd223 Jan 7, 2016

I would agree nothing really jumps out at me

7. jarbaz Jan 7, 2016

I find plenty that I like but are much to expensive at this moment, is there any way to sort the results in in a particular order?

8. fbd223 Jan 7, 2016

Don't buy just to buy, that's not the way to build a collection IMO, trust me I've made those mistakes... Take your time find what you want then if it takes time to save up to save up the funds to buy it, you will enjoy it more then.

jarbaz likes this.
  9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jan 7, 2016

It all depends on what these watches cost. If they $100, then some of them may be decent. If they are more than that, I would hold off and look for better examples. Buying a vintage watch, as stated by others, takes time, a lot of research and patience.

Those of us on here that routinely buy and sell can do so because we have years of experience and have handled hundreds, in some cases thousands of watches.

Learn on the forums, ebay, and if and when possible, handle as many watches as you can.

Best of luck.

jarbaz likes this.
  10. jarbaz Jan 7, 2016

Thanks for the advice guys, I definitely plan on buying something I like first and foremost. any models or calibers I should look out for?

11. ikeo1 Jan 7, 2016

I like the 1964 cal 611, black and gold. It's very classic gentry looking.

jarbaz likes this.
  12. jarbaz Jan 9, 2016

So I have just bought my first omega and I thought I would post it here to see what you all think.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I ended up spending a little more than first expected but I think/hope it's worth it.

13. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 9, 2016

Nice. Do you have a photo of the inside of the case back?

14. jarbaz Jan 9, 2016

Yeh I do, it's attached below.
    image.jpeg