New here and looking for help

Wow. I knew nothing about watches until posting here and I have learned so much in such a short amount of time! It's amazing how knowledgable everybody is here!

So, can my watch be described as a Seamaster? Or would it be described as a reference 2427? Or as something else?

thank you.

It would have been described as an "Omega Automatic Gents Watch" in ads of the day, possibly with the reference number, but not always.

Like 3
I am waiting for the folks in the know but I have a genuine feeling that your grandfather's watch might not be a genuine Omega.

Have another drink.

Like 1
The nuggets on the bracelet/grandfather/wearing for mining deals are very cool layers of history and I hope that you never take the bracelet off the watch, a genuine heirloom if ever there was one. Thanks for posting.

Like 1
It would have been described as an "Omega Automatic Gents Watch" in ads of the day, possibly with the reference number, but not always.
Not necessarily true. This ad uses the Seamaster name but the watch has no name on the dial. Pretty common practice for Omega in the early 1950’s.

upload_2023-2-27_9-7-59.png

The word Swiss under the “6” generally means a U.S. market model like the one in the ad above.

The case has a gold colored back, which would also indicate a U.S. made case. If so, then Swiss reference numbers do not apply. These had their own references for either gold-filled or solid 14K.

We really can't comment further unless we can see the inside of the caseback.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

Like 6
The case has a gold colored back, which would also indicate a U.S. made case. If so, then Swiss reference numbers do not apply. These had their own references for either gold-filled or solid 14K.

US reference would be K6248, probably by L&K.

Like 2
thanks for posting...an unusual piece and great for you!

Like 1