Forums Latest Members
  1. dthifa1 Feb 21, 2013

I recently inherited an Omega Automatic Seamaster Calendar from my grandfather. I have done about an hour or two of research and can't seem to find much info on this watch. From what I have gathered, it is most likely from the early 1950's and is a "bumper". I have included a few photos, if anyone has any other information it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know the year and model, as well as any other info possible. I have looked at numerous pictures and can't seem to find another one with the calendar date and hours marked like this one. Also please disregard the wristband as I know that is not authentic. I am currently looking for the correct time period band. Thanks in advance!

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 21, 2013

Hi, this one is not difficult. It is a 2627 date at 6 Seamaster Gold capped. The date window shape may indicate a service change or a transition piece between the latter 2757 model

Seamaster Calendar

Gents' leather strap

Reference
    KO 2627
    International collection
    Movement
    Type: Automatic (mechanical)
    Caliber number: 353
    Caliber number: 353 / 355
    Formerly called "28,10 SC"
    Cal. 353
    Created in 1950, 17 jewels
    Cal. 355 (chronometer)
    Created in 1953, 17 jewels
    Both
    Functions
    Date
    Case
    Gold-cap on stainless steel
    Case back
    Screw-in
    Dial
    De luxe, luminous (radium), with hand-rivetted gold hour markers, "Dauphine" hands and gold date-window frame.
    Crystal
    Armoured hesalite
    Bracelet
    Leather
    Water resistance
    30 meters
    14813.jpg

If you would like anything more specific we would have to see photos of the movement inside.

3. dthifa1 Feb 21, 2013

Thanks for the quick response cicindela. I really appreciate the info as I seek help determining what I have here. You have me headed on the right path now!

All the 2627's I am seeing have the number configuration on 3, 9, 12 rather than the 2, 4, 8, 10, 12 configuration I have. I assume there were different variations?

How difficult is it to remove the back to see the movement inside? I have never opened up a watch before.

Also, where would I be able to buy the leather strap and buckle? Are they hard to find?

This is my first vintage watch, so please forgive my ignorance.

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 21, 2013

Yes, most models had many many different dial variations.

If you haven't done it before, don't try it! Take it to an independent watchmaker/watch repairer. You should also get it serviced/oiled/cleaned (maybe $200), best done at an independent watchmaker, rather than an officila Omega service centre, who will charge a fortune.

Most of us don't bother with genuine Omega bands/buckles. They are quite expensive. You can take the watch to any jeweller/watch shop to get a new leather band. Prices can vary from $30 to $200, depending on whether you go cow, lizard, alligator, koala, elephant, etc. There are some good ebay watch band sellers (keralan is a favourite here, but he only ships tot he US). you cuold also, if you wanted, get an omega buckle that could be put on a non-omega band. once again, heaps on ebay.

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Feb 21, 2013

I am really keen trying on Koala strap .......:) A genuine Australia export commodity.