Forums Latest Members
  1. dmcleod Jan 4, 2021

Hi,

Brand new member here from Toronto, Canada. I recently turned 40 and would like to get a watch to celebrate this milestone. I've been browsing on Chrono 24 and here and have become interested in a few brands. I would like something fairly old, from the 1940's - 70's, automatic, preferably no date function, I like arabic numerals rather than indices, and price under $2000 USD. For the brands, I've been looking at Ulysse Nardin, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Omega, Universal Geneve and Frederique Constant (I'm aware this is outside of that time range). Hoping for a watch that I can wear daily and I don't really have much interest in a collection, rather one piece that has a classic look. I work doing furniture design and making and have fun sailing on the weekends but wouldn't necessarily wear a vintage watch on the water.

Any advice would be great. I've read that Ulysse Nardin's are often knocked off/modified and am of course interested in getting something genuine.

I was referred here from people at Watchuseek in case anyone is also there.

Thanks!

Derek

Zdzislaw, Rudi99, SuperHero and 3 others like this.
  2. Toishome Jan 4, 2021

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  3. Mossback Jan 4, 2021

Welcome Derek.
    There are vintage Omega sport watches that are water resistant some even water proof. I like dive watches but you may be looking for something more formal.

4. Dan S Jan 4, 2021

I would strongly recommend looking at Longines. They made phenomenal watches in that time period, second to none IMO. And since you like sailing, many of their models had nautical themes and/or case-back medallions or engravings, including Admiral, Flagship, and Conquest. There is no justification in omitting Longines (or Zenith for that matter) and including Omega and UG in the category of watch you are considering. As for the arabic numerals, you will just have to look. Most manufacturers made watches with a wide variety of dial designs.

Unless you are prepared to spend a huge of time and effort to become a true expert, I would stay away from vintage UN. They made perfectly good watches, but it will be like a needle in a haystack to find one that is legit.

BTW, C24 is loaded with ridiculously overpriced dealer-prepped drek, with the occasional decent watch. That's not where I look for watches.

5. dmcleod Jan 4, 2021

Thanks, I'll look at Longines as well. I'm new to this, so C24 is an easy way to browse and get a sense of what exists. This site seems helpful and so does watchuseek.

6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 4, 2021

Omega and even more so, Longines, have done some great vintage re-issues that might suit if you want the look and the robustness in one package

7. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 5, 2021

Check out one of the best heritage chronos: Longines Aviation Big Eye. Your price bracket and hard to beat......joma shop around $1700..... Kind regards. Achim

8. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 5, 2021

Auto correct..... Avigation Big Eye.......

9. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 5, 2021

Check Jomashop anyway. The heritage divers watch is very good value as well. They have still over 30% reduction in the next days..... All new. Warranty. USA. Maybe pickup ? A friend brings it to you? Mail empty box and papers from the USA to you. Declare as collector empty box....

10. amcclell Jan 5, 2021

Jomashop is a good way to go and I agree with the others that you can have the vintage style along with the water resistance of a brand new watch. I am from just outside of Toronto and bought a Certina DS PH200M for my daughter this past year. If you don't have a friend in the US, they shipped to my home and I just had to pay Ontario HST and 5% duty. All in all, it was a good deal.

11. Canuck Jan 5, 2021

Watches from the 1940s are 70 to 80 years old! From the 1950s? 60 to 70 years old. From the 1960s? 50 to 60 years old. You plan on acquiring a watch that is as old as any of these, and wearing it every day? Keep us posted re: what you decide on, and how successful the watch might be! How long might you expect a watch to last? And what might you be prepared to spend to maintain an older watch in running condition. Numerous watch companies are offering retro models as a tribute to vintage styles. One of these retro ones would be a better choice, in my view.

12. berrychlossom Jan 5, 2021

Welcome to the forum!
    If you like arabic numbers a lot I would recommend Universal Geneve Railrouter. The case has the classic Gerlad Genta design with an enamel dial.

13. WhatYourWatchSay Jan 5, 2021

There's a Canadian forum called Canadian Watch Collectors. Lots of interesting new and vintage watches posted there:

https://canwatchco.ca/

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 5, 2021

Not a good idea to advocate fraud on a public forum. :whipped:
    gatorcpa

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 5, 2021

They have made it plenty clear that they want no Yanks over there, so good day sir.
    gatorcpa

16. redpcar Jan 5, 2021

eh?

WhatYourWatchSay and DaveK like this.
  17. MRC Jan 5, 2021

So, as a Brit who lived & worked in Montreal (many years ago now) would I have been welcome? How about a Canadian national living in London now?

Edited Jan 5, 2021
  18. pedrocarlone Jan 5, 2021

Given that you like sailing, what about an Omega Admiralty. Im not sure if the no date ones are automatic though. Im sure the members on here can advise you on a good original one. They have a diver version too with a rotating bezel if you prefer that.

B6D11B19-529D-4DEA-A34F-A7230B5D650F.jpeg
  19. BPD Jan 5, 2021

As a Canadian and living in Toronto, I am embarrassed that this self-centered, single-minded Canadian watch forum exists!

Definitely glad to be part of Omega Forums and it's sister site, Calibre 11 where all are welcomed!

Edited Jan 5, 2021
  20. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jan 5, 2021

Since it would be a daily wearer, perhaps you should consider a watch that has shock protection. In these, the most delicate part -balance wheel pivots- are "suspended" and are protected from bumps to the watch. Uncommon in the 1940's but pretty standard by the '60's.