NEW FLASH Chelsea Ship's Bell Clock found from William G. Mather

This is a Co-authored post... by Mark Dusky and myself.
*** NEWS FLASH *** First time on the internet ..
Hello Everyone ......
A while ago ... I acquired a Chelsea 10 inch Ship's Bell marine clock. The serial number dates to the mid the 1920s... After getting detailed info on the clock , it was actually sold to Great Lakes Engineering in June of 1925. I am not an expert on Great Lake maritime , but I know someone who is deep into it .... Mark Dusky, of Fb Chelsea collector fame.
When I first reached out to Mark, it got his attention... He did some research and his reply is below ...
"
They built six ships at Great Lakes in 1925. The first one was the Joseph Frantz which was launched on April 25. It was a Laker. The second ship was the William C. Atwater in May, it was also a Laker. They then launched the William G Mather in July and it is currently in Cleveland as a museum ship, also a Laker. In September they launched John A. Topping, also a Laker. I’m not sure which month but they also built a ferry called the Halcyon for the Walkerville and Detroit ferry company. I assume this theory was used to travel between Walkerville and Detroit across the Detroit river. And the last ship was a “dump skow” for Great Lakes Dredge & Dock. It may still be active, and the vessel's name is number 54. Any markings on your clock? "
I told Mark " there was no marking on the case... If we were to align the timelines of when the ships were launched.... The clock was sold to Great Lakes Engineering June 26 1925 ... and the William G Mather was launched in July ... I said a good guess would be it was for that " Laker" .
Mark commented that the William G Mather is still around and is a floating museum but it's only open from May thru October. The conversation above happened in mid Oct of last year.. and Mark was too busy to go and check out the ship to see if a 10 inch Ship's Bell would even have a place somewhere on the 618 ft freighter...
Well time has passed ( almost 9 months ) .... and out of the blue I got a txt from Mark ... yesterday at 9:14 am...
"Hey Bill, hope you’re doing OK. Might be going on the Mather today in Cleveland. Do you still have the clock you think that may be from the ship? Is it a 6 inch or a 8 1/2 inch? If I get a chance, I will go look up on the bridge to see if I can detect an outline."
I replied
" It's a 10 inch dial . Thanks for remembering me"
Mark
"Will let you know if I get on board!"
I just said " Great"
Well back to my day.... We had a tough day at my home as my son had to go to the hospital for a 6 hour infusion... So I was pretty distracted with real life at home.
I got home and later that night I sent mark a txt asking " How was the day ?"
Mark
"Great! Can you tell me again why you think this is off the Mather?"
I sent back the paragraph above that Mark sent me back last Oct ... " They built six ...."
Mark
" Oh I just can't recall what we said exactly 9 months ago..." but it did come back to him in an instant once I sent ( paragraph) back to him....
"Did not go into the engine room this time. They replaced the steam engine with an oil burner in the late 50s or early 60s and replaced all the control stations in the engine room as well."
And the best line ....
Mark
"Buttttt, got an interesting picture of the bridge……"
I have read about the "Bridge" , some refer to it as the "Pilot House". Well the picture I was looking at was a worn Oak tongue and groove plank wall that has a 6 inch Nickel Ship's Bell with a dedication plaque "Donated by the student of Ridge-Brook Elementary Parma, Ohio 4-24-91 SIXTH GRADE PROJECT" But if you look at the wood you see a outline of a circle and the mounting holes at 8 and 4 o'clock for what I think is the shadow of a once 10 inch clock! and you see a " soot outline of where the 10 inch Ship's Bell clock use to hang ! Just to clarify the ship was launched May of 1925 and was delivered in July of 1925... ( for the timeline junkies).
I was more then shocked... and Mark was more then a little giggy as well..
It is not 100% proof but its pretty darn close , its close enough for Mark and myself.
Now on to the photos !!!
Mark's photos from yesterday .... Monday June 27th. plus a few of the ship itself...
All the news that is fit to post !
Good Hunting !
best regards
Mark Dusky and Bill Sohne
Avid Marine Clock Collectors and Detectives !

IMG_0714.jpeg IMG_0715.jpeg IMG_0716.jpeg IMG_0717.jpeg IMG_0718.jpeg

Like 8
Always interesting to see two pieces of history interact again. Good sleuthing there.

I think 'pilot house' is used on smaller ships like tugs, 'bridge' is on bigger ships.

Like 1