Forums Latest Members

New Entry! A very rare Longines

1. Volcan May 12, 2019

Hello everyone!
    Finally I found a very beautiful Longines watch from the end of 50's.
    [​IMG]

I never seen before a Longines like this... I'm very happy and I wanted to share this news with you.
    I hope you like it :)

Edited May 19, 2021
  2. dputydwg1 May 12, 2019

Very nice thank you for posting

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 12, 2019

It appears to be a redial.

4. 77deluxe May 12, 2019

Redial, but still a great looking watch. Enjoy it.

Dan S, watchknut and Foo2rama like this.
  5. rcs914 May 12, 2019

I agree that the Longines text does not look correct - but why on earth would someone have redialed a watch where that is the only printed text??? Everything else is applied numerals. I still don't get how sooooo many watches were redialed in the past - for what reason? Just to clarify I am not questioning that it is - I just don't get why it would have been - what could have been so badly messed up on this to necessitate it.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 12, 2019

1 clean them up after damage. 2 update the style...

Lots of reasons.

Edited May 13, 2019
    Mark020 and Syrte like this.
  7. Gentle Ben May 12, 2019

Still a handsome watch. Wear in good health.

Syrte likes this.
  8. Dan S May 12, 2019

As mentioned above, the dial probably was stained and damaged.

9. wsfarrell May 13, 2019

I think you're right. Here's a blowup of the watch you linked to, and the text does look similar--some distance between N and E, E and S almost touching, etc. People around here are really quick to call "redial." Often it's true, but not always. And from a technical viewpoint, on a dial with that texture it would have been extremely difficult to cleanly remove the old text so it could be reprinted.

longara.jpg

Volcan likes this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 13, 2019

Hi there, without going into originality questions it’s got a very pretty design and linen texture.

But how does the case tell you about the dial, except to say that the level of (very nice) patina on the gold means the dial shouldn’t look brand new?
    How do you know that the “other” watch you linked to is not the same? Looks like the exact same example to me, only serial numbers will show it’s a different one.

How many hundreds of Longines dials have you seen that make you so sure about Longines dial making processes in the 1950s?

I know when you’re happy about a new watch there are some statements you’d prefer not to hear from other people.
    However I’m sure those experienced collectors made them with a good intention, to warn you while there is still time for you to return your watch or negotiate with the seller if the price was excessive.

Also, If you make assertions which can mislead less experienced people, IMHO seasoned collectors have an ethical obligation to correct the record to avoid readers being misinformed.

It takes time and experience to spot redials but a great place to start is @ConElPueblo’s very good sticky thread called “Learn How to Fish”.
    And for correct Longines dial signatures and logos on a 1950s Longines textured dials, there are a bunch which were posted in the thread entitled “Claw lug Longines”. The thread is quite informative on the differences between a thickly inked redialed logo and the very fine logos which are found on original textured dials.

That being said it’s a lovely looking watch and if you’re happy to wear it for the price you paid you should enjoy it.
    Best regards

Edited May 13, 2019
    Foo2rama likes this.