Forums Latest Members

New arrival... another micro Longines..

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 5, 2017

Those little things have a charm of their own (including their humble price).
    The movement pic is the seller's.

IMG_1216.JPG IMG_1217.JPG IMG_1218.JPG IMG_1219.JPG IMG_1129.JPG IMG_1130.JPG
    Fialetti, kkt, aap and 21 others like this.
  2. TNTwatch Mar 5, 2017

Military fixed lugs! :)

Mark020 and Syrte like this.
  3. MaiLollo Mar 5, 2017

Bravo elle est très sympa, et ça va surement bien à un poignet féminin ;)

Syrte likes this.
  4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 5, 2017

Don't get me started. Next thing you know people are going to call it a calatrava :p

Merci @MaiLollo, c'est sur que sur un homme ca ferait un peu petit ;)

TNTwatch likes this.
  5. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Mar 5, 2017

I think I remember this one from eBay. The steel case is neat, especially with that period correct/original crown. Unfortunately, the dial does not appear to be original, IMO. Clearer images would help but the lack of precision of the hour markers and sub-dial, combined with the discordance in condition between the movement and the dial, suggests as much.

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 5, 2017

S., regarding the originality of the dial I had a moment of hesitation when I first looked at it with the naked eye but then i looked at it with a loupe and I felt comfortable it was fine. I've been had before though, and I could be wrong. If it's a redial it's a pretty nice one though, and I don't really care.

Edit- looking at that close up picture again you might be right but if so I'm not going to lose sleep over it although it would of course be disappointing.

Edited Mar 5, 2017
  7. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Mar 5, 2017

The sub-dial markings appear to touch the edge of the sub-dial in an unusual way. The lack of minute markings at 3, 6, 9, and 12 strikes me as odd. I also feel that the degree to which the rhodium-plating has deteriorated is not in line with the dial's overall condition. Better images would be necessary to properly assess the signature.

8. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 5, 2017

I agree on closer examination the deterioration of the movement appeara significantly worse than the blemishes on the dial and some of the dial markings appear uneven.
    But you'll note I wasn't seeking a validation.

9. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Mar 5, 2017

I do apologize for being the bearer of bad, and unsought, news. It would probably have been more considerate of me to keep quiet. In this case, as in most, my motivation was simply to diminish ambiguity for the sake of the uninformed onlooker.

10. argonbeam Mar 5, 2017

Another cool small watch. I love the case proportions that perfectly fit the 8.68xxx family of movements, this one having the earlier 8.86z introduced in the early 30's (Con El Pueblo posted a similar style of watch with a later variant of this movement the other day). The petite lugs and band (is that 12mm?) match nicely, as opposed to having a 16 or 17 mm lug width, which wouldn't look as balanced. Thanks for sharing.

Syrte likes this.
  11. Vitezi Mar 5, 2017

I love the details...blued hands, thin crown, and those lugs.

Syrte likes this.
  12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 6, 2017

Thanks @Vitezi @argonbeam, the overall design, case, hands, and even dial is indeed why I liked the watch. Lug width looks like 9 or 8mm, it needs a nicer strap :)

Having now taken the time to look again with a better loupe I have to conclude the dial has indeed had some sort of a repaint job, but in a strange way as the Longines script appears faded but perfect.
    I wonder whether an original dial might have been touched up but am quite baffled by what I see.
    I may try and post better pics if I get around to it.

@DirtyDozen12 I accept the apology but IMHO the forum provides quite a remakable amount of free education as it is. I would personally prefer if the motivation had been to spare me an expensive mistake and allow a prompt return.

@argonbeam, this subsecond caliber should be 8.68N or 8.68ABC, both subseconds calibers. I've been told "N" simply stands for "nouveau" and does not mean "center second", despite 10.68N and 12.68N being center seconds movements.
    I happen to own another subsecond Longines 8.68N, marked as such and verified with Longines archives.
    My watchmaker says Longines kept introducing "new" versions of movements with sometimes minor variants.

@ConElPueblo's micro sei tacche is probably 8.68ABC (slightly shorter balance staff for a flatter movement).

Best regards,
    S

François Pépin likes this.
  13. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Mar 6, 2017

S., I sincerely hope that this is possible, if you so desire.

14. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 6, 2017

Nope, I want to keep it, it wasn't expensive and I like the case.
    I'll find a solution for it. This happens to be arriving soon. I had no doubt it's original but if you think it's not might as well know right away...
    [​IMG]

Edited Mar 6, 2017
    noelekal likes this.
  15. François Pépin Mar 6, 2017

Hi Syrte,

Thanks for the pics and this explanation. I have been wondering what could the N mean in those Longines. Thought it means SC in a strange way, but your explanation makes much more sense!

Syrte likes this.
  16. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 6, 2017

The only problem is I have no idea what "Z" means. "Zut" perhaps, ha ha ha!

17. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Mar 6, 2017

This looks lovely.

noelekal and Syrte like this.
  18. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 6, 2017

Well, that's a relief, thanks.
    I just hope it fits with the case and size of the bezel. We'll have to see.

DirtyDozen12 likes this.
  19. François Pépin Mar 6, 2017

Maybe! Or they think as Omega with the 19'' that they produced the very top, and thus symbolize that acheivement with the last letter of the alphabet...

20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 9, 2017

Or should I use this one? (Just arrived).

IMG_1246.JPG
    Larry S, TNTwatch and DirtyDozen12 like this.