Forums Latest Members
  1. stef2010 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 15, 2013

with the blue nato

[​IMG]

credit @ Roberto

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 15, 2013

I have just discovered what the Day/Night indicator is used for.

It has been a miserable day in SE London today with poor light so when the indicator passes into the "Night" zone, the sun has theoretically passed over the yard arm and it's OK to open a bottle of red.

Yes, I know that will always be at 6:00 pm but it is Sunday.

3. Sherbie Sep 16, 2013

Yep, every day at 6pm is beer o'clock in the UK! No need to reserve this pleasure for the Sabbath!

4. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 16, 2013

Steve, thanks for explosively igniting my interest in this model. I bought a used one around 25 years ago and flipped it. At the time I didn't like the dial layout (I was narrow-minded and hooked on the Valjoux 72 layout/operation). My loss, literally. I bought it for $300 and sold it for $200 to a camera guy (a lot of folks interested in both back in the day, must be a gears-and-springs kind of thing!)

Blue gator/white stitch is a winner, although I'm going to search for a picture of a mesh bracelet shortly.

Are there any interesting links regarding this model? (confession: I haven't looked yet). Thanks!

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Sep 16, 2013

FWIW, the blue gator/white stitch band, then your bracelet. Just saw the mesh on a Google-search. Looks good but not as good as the OEM bracelet IMHO.

6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 16, 2013

I don't know of any links but there is a lot to like about these. There's the central minute recorder which is, of course, much easier to read than a sub-dial. Then there's the fact that the minute recorder sweeps rather than jumps which I think is quite a nice feature.

I know it is an automatic which upsets some of the die hard Omegista, but primarily I'm a Zenith man so that's a good thing to my way of thinking.

cvalue13 likes this.
  7. cvalue13 Sep 16, 2013

Curious about your position on the "needle" minute hand being the only correct minute hand.

While many period pictures from Omega show the needle hand on the 176.007 (no need to show them here for my purposes), several other period pictures show the other style:

p1213.jpg p5051.jpg picture 1.jpg p10.jpg picture.jpg page1.jpg

Interestingly, even the Ref. change notice from Omega, whereby the 176.001 became the 176.007, shows the non-needle style hand:

omega_image.2256933.jpg

Oh, and my practically NOS GF version, without needle hand, just for good measure:

Seamaster 176007 - 2.JPG

dragoman, omega67 and Stewart H like this.
  8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 17, 2013

As I told you in a pm, I am no expert on these. I believe, and I could be wrong, that it depends on the dial/watch configuration and the age of the watch. Your gold is very likely the original hand specification, I have not seen a gold plate with any other hands. Any information about the others would certainly benefit with updated research, in that regard information such as you posted here may be of more use than talking to Omega. At least some of these ad pictures are from 1974 & 1975, so another factor is manufacture year, Omega may have made changes from 1972- through the life of the model. Omega commonly did this and often within a same year. Watches serviced within a few years of manufacture could also have different hands, dials or other parts as replacements. While I do believe the needle tip minute hand is correct for for the early blue dials such as yours and mine and maybe some others, "only" is your word, not mine, as one finds that with Omega few things are absolute.
    If you notice some of these ad pictures depict different end links than the 653 that everyone says is the correct end link for the 1170 as well.

9. cvalue13 Sep 17, 2013

I certainly didn't mean anything more than an exploration of the topic. I'm no expert, either.

Folks responded to your thread also mentioning the "correct hand" bit (and I'd seen the same sentiment elsewhere), so the cacophony begged the question of what I was missing.

That said, if it has been independently confirmed that Omega no longer has any of the needle tip hands for some amount of time, it would provide some touchstone basis for determining whether a watch with a needle tip hand had seen replacement parts recently.

One thing is for sure: I've never seen a G.F. version of the .007 or any .005 with the needle tip minute hand.

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 17, 2013

Yes our continued exploration of this matter may shed some great insights into these watches.

11. Hal10000 Sep 24, 2013

Picked one of these up a month ago.

Looks to be in great condition (dial is flawless). Seems I have the replacement hands though : ( Wasn't aware of the pointy minutes hand before this thread.

How's the power reserve on your guys' watches?

Mine doesn't really seem to least longer than 5-10 hours if it's not on my wrist.

I was under the impression it was supposed to last for around 45hrs?

Maybe I'm just not active enough?

1040 Omega.jpg
    VintageNoble likes this.
  12. Sherbie Sep 24, 2013

I think the pointy hands issue is a red herring - both types of hands are correct

I always give mine a full wind to stsrt with, and then a few turns each morning (i never wear watches at night), so never really an issue for me.

Sounds like yours may need a service though

13. omega67 Sep 24, 2013

I like those 176.007 - whats a good price today for the blue one with bracelet without box and papers? roundabout?

Thanks for hints...

14. prostie1200 Sep 24, 2013

I have two GF 176.007 both have Bronze dials and neither have needle tipped hands. One of them I have had for twenty years and at the time I bought it I also purchased a complete set of Omega hands and GF pushers from Otto Frie - these were never used and just a couple of minutes ago I opened the packets for the first time these do not have needle points either.

Cvalue13 could well be correct as to GF not appearing with Needle points -

15. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 24, 2013

Mine lasts a couple of days from a full wind.

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 24, 2013

Mine too lasts a coupe days +, have you given yours a full wind?

17. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 24, 2013

You can find them from $1500 to $2500. , but there are a lot of beat up ones out there. You want to look carefully to find a nice one that you don't have to put a lot of parts and $$ into and that has a nice case. The bracelet is a plus. Anything under 2K for a really nice one is a great deal. More can be fair, depending on your desire and patience. Others may have a different perspective.

18. Hal10000 Sep 24, 2013

How do I know when it's fully wound? The crown doesn't really stop on automatics, as far as I know....

19. Hal10000 Sep 24, 2013

I paid $2100 for the one you see above. It has, what I'm told, is the original bracelet and end links, and the dial, hands and case are flawless.

20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 24, 2013

What number endlinks are on this one. They are not the often cited 653's but I believe these are also correct as they are shown on Omega ads.
    626 perhaps??