Forums Latest Members
  1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 13, 2021

A good, succinct summary from Jason Kottke.

https://kottke.org/21/03/netflix-to-air-documentary-about-the-last-blockbuster-video-store

Rudi99, Kmart, thelinendial and 10 others like this.
  2. Braindrain Mar 13, 2021

And wasn't the last Blockbuster up in Anchorage, Alaska?

3. Observer I know nothing! Mar 13, 2021

Adapt or die, baby. Ain’t evolution a b*tch?

marco, M'Bob and Tony C. like this.
  4. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Mar 13, 2021

Bend Oregon

5. Alex_TA Mar 15, 2021

I hope Netflix will go broke with their current repertoire.

6. marco Mar 15, 2021

Get a high end android tv box.

7. JwRosenthal Mar 15, 2021

Netflix has seen massive competition in the last 5 years where there was none before. Also, the way people digest online content is changing rapidly. Most kids aren’t binging feature length films or shows- they watch short amateur made clips or “reaction” v-blogs to other online content. It’s hard to know which way to pivot- the target is moving so rapidly right now.

8. arkman Mar 15, 2021

9. imfagent449 Mar 15, 2021

I expect that it is difficult for a large ship to change course. I wonder if Blockbuster thought they might try and do that internally instead of buying a company.

10. kkt Mar 15, 2021

Blockbuster lost a lot of customers by renting censored versions of movies with no indication that they were not the original version. If they don't like strong R or X films, fine, just label what you're renting.

11. cvalue13 Mar 15, 2021

But the baby Jesus...

JwRosenthal likes this.
  12. JwRosenthal Mar 15, 2021

Don’t make him cry

13. Rado63 Mar 15, 2021

It's a good subject. Reminds me of the film industry when digital cameras were staking a foot hold in the market place. most film companies Really missed the boat.

14. imfagent449 Mar 15, 2021

I wonder about this a lot. The digital camera is a good example. From the outside, it seems clear that there are changes coming. However, I wonder if large businesses underestimate the time horizon on which changes will happen. Or perhaps they think it might be possible to develop the technology internally. I remember those early digital cameras and even hearing about early Netflix. I guess it may have been easy to underestimate their potential.

Now that I think about, I think that things can take off very very quickly in an unexpected way. I remember PayPal seemed like it was everywhere overnight.

15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 16, 2021

Blockbuster missed the writing on the wall. They also most likely thought Apple or MS would take control of the streaming market. Turns out Apple and Blockbuster massively dropped the ball when they both held massive head starts to the online streaming arena.

16. cvalue13 Mar 16, 2021

Forgetting Blockbuster, I miss the local video stores by and for cine-nerds.

10 years ago I was in mine late one night, only myself and one other customer browsing the new releases. Other guy says “excuse me” to reach by, and it’s Tarantino.

Not that I’m a ceni-nerd, but with such video stores I found myself watching a lot broader range of movies if limited to a universe curated by folks like Tarantino (who famously got his start in such a video store).

Blockbuster killed those, and got what it deserved.

Now I’m just a slave to Rotten Tomatoes...

Foo2rama likes this.
  17. sgrenald Mar 16, 2021

Fuji and Kodak were the two giants in the film manufacturing industry. Ironically, Kodak basically invented the digital camera and owned a lot of key patents. But they saw it as a threat to their highly lucrative film business, so they sidelined it. In the short term, they were correct. I think Kodak's best year ever was 1999. And they were making digital cameras then, too. Fuji has successfully transitioned to the new world, although their camera division is only a small part of the overall business.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 16, 2021

So I was wrong...

I just watched the documentary on Netflix about the last Blockbuster.

Turns out after paramount purchased them, they saddled a lot of debt secured against future earnings on Blockbuster. When it sold to Viacom it kept those debts. When the Stoxk market crashed in 2008 no one existed to help service those debts. Blockbuster had a better streaming service at the time and was closing in on videos by mail.

interesting documentary.

19. Walrus Mar 16, 2021

I think of a few other companies. Why isn’t Sears Amazon? Why isn’t AOL the Google of the day. Nokia, blackberry? Why is that what was a near bankrupt company now the king of the cell phones and more. MySpace? These probably aren’t all the best examples but it seems like a number of companies missed it by a hairs length, or a couple trillion dollars depending on how you want to look at it.