Forums Latest Members

Need you help - USED Omega Seamaster Professional Diver 300m

1. Zwieback Aug 5, 2018

Hi All,

Just hoping to get some advice from you guys. I am looking to buy an Omega Seamaster Professional Diver 300m which retails new in Australia for AUD$5300. I have the following options;

1. NEW - boutiques in Australia will only go down to about AUD$4800.
    2. Duty Free - I can pick it up when I travel through new zealand when I travel in December for $AUD4200.
    3. USED - there is a used watch bought in January 2017 selling for AUD$3850. It's in immaculate condition with all papers and a 2 year warranty from the jeweler selling it in Australia.

Most forum member have said that 20-30% off the retail price is available with some negotiating but my issue is that being in Perth, the vast majority of the jewelers are in Sydney. Those jewelers from negotiate over the phone so I cannot find out how low they will. I have however asked if they will sell the watch for $3800 and they have declined.

What do you all think??

sjg22 likes this.
  2. jud Aug 5, 2018

I bought mine two years ago and decided to go new from a trusted seller. I would happily do that again as I prefer to create my own patina. Which would you be happier with, saving the money or purchasing new?

Remember a new version of this watch was introduced at Bazel this spring, if you hold off you might get a better deal, or you can purchase the newer model. I prefer the model I purchased to the new one, but that might not be the case for you.

3. Zwieback Aug 5, 2018

I definitely prefer the older model. Think it looks much cleaner and can be dressed up and down whereas the wave in the face of the watch makes it look more sporty! Now the movement of the new watch would be great...but it just doesn't look as good!!!

There's a few things that are kind of swaying me towards the pre-owned watch
    1. It's $350 cheaper
    2. I get it now rather than in 4 months
    3. I don't know how much lower the duty free watch would go. If they knock off say another $100-200 then it's a better deal...but 4 months of waiting!!

Tough decision for sure.

4. Zwieback Aug 6, 2018

UPDATE: Bought the used watch!

Another AD in Perth reduced the price to $4450 but with a new baby on the way, I thought it was best to save $600.

tikkathree, Mtek and sjg22 like this.
  5. jud Aug 6, 2018

Good choice, you made the best decision for you.

6. sjg22 Aug 7, 2018

Congrats - welcome to the forum!