Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer Sep 6, 2013

What are people's first impressions on this? Been looking for a transitional speedy at a good price.

What do you guys think this should be worth, or is it a good pricing?

I'd obviously want to pay less, but that's just me.. :D

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221279182213Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 6, 2013

Don't forget to factor in the VAT on an import from the States.

3. Dablitzer Sep 6, 2013

Thanks. I know.. I missed a nice one a few weeks back... Kicking myself ever since! And it was a few hundred less that this one!

4. Hijak Sep 6, 2013

I'm no expert but that movement looks fantastic!:thumbsup: My only issue is with the lume, is it flaking or was it re-lumed?

5. Dablitzer Sep 6, 2013

I think it's been polished a bit... Too. Not sure re the lume..looks like its flaking with age.

6. Hijak Sep 6, 2013

I think you can do better...

7. ctime3 Sep 6, 2013

I would go through Kringly on here for a speedy. i have read everything he posts and he knows his stuff. Comparing to people out here and there is no comparison

8. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Sep 6, 2013

offer him $ 2300 outside ebay. he has to pay a lot of final value ebay fees. send money via paypal and have it sent to an US member here for inspection and then forwarded to you as returned repair with a value of $ 150 for the repairs and you will be fine. VAT will be calculated by the stated value. and beeing a used watch, it`s all good. or ask the seller for that procedure straight away. just my 2 centavos. kind regards. achim

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 6, 2013

So just as a point of order, because Alex says he's looking for a transitional - shouldn't a transitional Speedmaster have a metal Omega logo and lume extending to the outer edge of the dial markings? Or am I revealing my ignorance?

Dablitzer likes this.
  10. ulackfocus Sep 6, 2013

That's what I thought too - a metal Ω logo on the dial like the older 321 powered models but an 861 under the hood.

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 6, 2013

Although this is a low serial, and marked -68, it lacks the applied logo that completes the three characteristics that I recognise in a transitional. That makes me think the dial has been replaced. So I don't think this is an origional watch. The dial looks tired too.

i am trying to articulate my feelings at the suggestion of deceitful behaviour without sounding pious. What's the difference in trying to cheat eBay, and declaring a watch has been "just serviced" when it has not? If I sign a declaration that a watch is a worthless repair, what value is my signature on other documents?

There are plenty of watches available legitimately without the need to put ourselves in these situations.

oh dear, I feel old.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 7, 2013

Agreed, the key thing that makes the 145.022-68 the transitional is it has the old applied metal Omega symbol with the Calibre 321 movement. I'd just judge this the same as any other 861 Speedmaster based on that, for which its a lot of money. My Calibre 321 145.012-67 with 1171 bracelet in nice shape with a better dial and excellent movement was $2200.

watchyouwant likes this.
  13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 7, 2013

Come on then, lets see a photo!

(I love a photo)

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 7, 2013

15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 7, 2013

Very nice!
    Here's mine.

tranny.jpg

16. Dablitzer Sep 7, 2013

Thanks guys,

You added a touch more detail in to the equation. I'll be looking for the applied logo. So I guess that's the transistional. I just thought it needed a dot over 90 :unsure: Which I presume is easy to replace with a new bezel!?

Ash, that is exactly the price range I'm looking at... Is it possible to find one at that price now? Very nice example.

17. pascs Sep 7, 2013

Some nice transitional models, I'm always looking for one of those too :p

At least I'm lucky with customs in the country where I live just now because I can ship from the US or UK to my location without paying import tax :thumbsup:.
    I also travel a lot to the US and UK which is handy for picking up something locally.

Good luck with your search for a transitional model :)

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 7, 2013

Patience is key just like any watch search. This is my personal recommendation for buying one:

Buying one with a crappy looking crystal makes it sell cheaper, crystals cost little, polywatch is even cheaper but it turns off bidders and makes it easier to get a good deal.
    Unless you personally paid the bill, and know the guy who serviced is a quality watchmaker, it needs servicing. I don't care what the seller says, it needs servicing so factor that into the price.

19. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 7, 2013

I really doubt that you will find a correctly appointed transitional worth having for $2300 at the moment.

The dot over 90 bezel and the dial can between them command over $400 each if they are in good condition, the dial could be more. Of course they can be found, sometimes, for less. But right now just try and go and find them, and Ebay will show you some big prices.

Ebay will also show you a transitional with the wrong dial.

I would say that if you found transitional of the quality shown above by members you will have to pay at least $3000. If you are able to buy one on an open auction for less, it will be because many knowledgeable people will have assessed its need for a service, ($400-600), or a vital part that needs upgrading.

Of course being patience has its rewards. Buying a scratched up watch on poor photos from another country is a risk some of us enjoy. But we do get screwed every now and then.

Also while I am very quick to tell you about the fantastic Moonwatch I bought for $1500, i am hesitant to tell you about the time I lost my mind, fell in love and whipped out my big fat wad of money, slapped it on the table and walked away with a beautiful watch that was more than conventional wisdom dictates.

I paid $2500 and $3250 for transtionals. No bracelets. No service.

There. I confess.

cicindela and SpikiSpikester like this.
  20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 7, 2013

I should mention mine was a buy it now at $2200 which I jumped on and had paid for faster than I buy fries at the drive-thru.

Central Scrutinizer likes this.