Need Omega Constellation Advice

Hi,

I inherited an Omega Constellation and I would love your opinion on what to do with it.

Backstory- I was given this watch about fifteen years ago and up until yesterday it sat untouched in a box. It belonged to my late grandfather then my father and now me.

I don't know much about watches but this watch has sentimental value and I want to take good care of it. Ideally, I would love to start wearing it but first I wanted to get some advice. From my brief googling I think it's an Omega Constellation from the 60's with a pie pan dial with tritium hands and an automatic movement.

Reference 168.005
Calibre 564
Serial 25251151

I've watched enough "Wristwatch Revival" on youtube to know that it probably needs a service before wearing. I plan to take it in somewhere to have it looked at but I had a few questions first. I guess my first question would be is it real? If so, what is it worth? What do you think it needs work-wise at minimum? Maximum? I think it needs a crystal and gaskets and probably more. How much do you think this work should cost? I know there are so many factors but I would like to be prepared before I bring it in somewhere. What would you do with it? I am located in Boston. Do you know any local shops that I should take it to?

See pics below.

Thanks!!

-Matt

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
Edited:

Hi Matt,
Welcome to the forums!
This is a nice and desirable Constellation. Besides its sentimental value, this watch also holds great collectible value as well. It's a very good example of a 60y/o timepiece. Enjoy!
Others may be able to help you with the service cost depending on your location. In terms of value, in this condition, it's worth around $2k.
I hope this helps!

Nice watch in good condition. It has not been serviced for a long time, judging by the crusty appearance of the case gasket. Make sure to take it to independent watchmaker with Omega parts account who is sensitive to wishes of vintage watch collectors. Don't let anyone polish it, or touch the dial or hands or crown. Just get movement service done, any other "cosmetic" work will reduce the value of a very nice and collectible watch. Don't send it to Omega they will change everything and polish it and charge a fortune and reduce value in doing so.
Welcome and enjoy your nice heirloom!

Hello, welcome to OF
You have a very nice Constellation. A local watchmaker near me will charge $250 for a full service, I'm located in SoCal. Choose your watchmaker wisely because this is a vintage piece with a very nice dial, would be suck if some low skill watchmaker accidentally scratch it while take out the hands

p.s I'm a big fan of Marshalls from Wristwatch Revival haha

Congrats for this nice heirloom ! Yours is very similar to mine, and was produced in 1967 : it is a so-called Dog Leg, designed by Gerald GENTA, the "Salvador Dali of the watch design"
The Caliber is a "quick set", meaning that by pulling the crown out once, you can set the hands, and by pulling it further (gently, please) you switch to the next day, then push back and pull back again... until you reached the appropriate date. A bit tricky, but far more comfortable than turning endlessly the decagonal little crown !
Odd : the end links, attaching the bracelet to the case seem to have no number, which might indicate that they are not original OMEGA parts... you may double-check that eventually.
To the crystal, it is likely to be Hesalite (Plexi); so I would first try to have it polished to see if all the scratches disappear ; if not, probably good to get an original part instead : it should bear the center Omega Logo.
And like all others have said before, don't let anybody polish the case as the edges are still nicely sharp ! Just have it ultrasonically cleaned, that's all !
Enjoy the watch !
Cheers !

Congratulations-lovely watch.
Just remember to set the hands to 6.30 before using the quickest date function.

Definitely real and in lovely condition. As other have said, get it serviced by an independent watch maker. The plexi looks to be an original omega, I think I can see the logo in the middle. It doesn't appear to be cracked so a rub with poly watch should brighten it up nicely. The dial and case look to be in really good condition. A nice one like this would be worth around the $2k as already mentioned. It's a lovely example with family history, service it and wear it in health.

Congratulations-lovely watch.
Just remember to set the hands to 6.30 before using the quickest date function.

Interesting ! Could you please be more specific on this ? Until now, I understood that the range from 10H00 to 02H00 should be avoided ; Does it mean that the quickset might misfunction if the minutes and hours hands are not on approx. 06h30 ? Or is it just a smart trick to remember to keep the quickset mechanism far away from the "danger zone" ? thks
Edited:

Interesting ! Could you please be more specific on this ? Does it mean that the quickset might misfunction if the minutes and hours hands are not in the right position ? thks

The quickset mechanism is known to be somewhat fragile if abused.

TBH, I can't remember the exact reason but this doesn't make the advice any less valid - something to do with the positioning of the hands (mechanism) in relation to the date change mechanism.

But - as advised by our esteemed watchmakers on OF, the hands should be set to the 6.30 position to avoid damaging the quick set date change mechanism.

It has been covered numerous times, so he may be tired of recounting the details but I'll page @Archer anyway and he may add the technical detail.

The details of the 564 moment can be found in Desmond's blog - Movements Part 3
http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/

Edit. - not so much the quick set mechanism will misfunction , more that you will bugger it entirely and need to replace it

Oops, we cross-talked at the same time !! 😀 Yeah, I was actually viewing a video on that and I edited my post while you were answering me, hence the complement in my question; it's quite clear now, and I strongly suspect that there is technically no need to have the hands on the 6, but it is certainly a smart way to get away from the "dead zone".