Need help with Seamaster I inherited from my grandfather

Hi all, I am new to this forum. Let me start by saying I know nothing about watches and their value... I hope I can get some more info from the people on this forum... OK here goes: About 10 years ago, after my grandfather died, I inherited his Omega Seamaster watch. I would like to know it's value if possible. As far as I remember, since I was a child, my grandfather was always wearing this watch. I had his watch put into a frame together with his medals that he received from the King of Belgium for his service during the 2nd world war,
As far as I know , his watch was never modified. As you can see from the pictures it looks in rough condition. I will never sell this watch, but I was wondering how much it would be worth today and in it's condition? As my grandmother also died, I don4t know where or when he bought this watch. IMG_7902.JPG IMG_7901_1.JPG IMG_7900_1.JPG

Its worth give or take $500 or so, good quality 1960s Seamaster that would be a great daily wearer if you had it serviced and cleaned up

Hi; thanks for the info. As said I will never sell this, as it's too important for me and I loved my grandfather and when I was a kid I listened for hours about his WW2 stories... I plan to give this to my son when I'm old (I am 44 now).
Now, if I would want to wear his watch, what should I do? Should I have it restored? Or just serviced and not change a thing? I saw some youtube videos where people restored some old watches they got and it actually lowered the value of the watch? I obviously don't want that.

It looks like a gold plated 165.002 with an incorrect crown.
A basic case clean (not polish), movement service, new crown and crystal polish should tidy it up nicely without over-restoring it and make it fit for wearing often.

Id actually put the value at more like £/$350 but obviously sentimental value far exceeds that.

Ya just a service at a competent watchmaker is all you need. A service “should” last years so you can just set it and forget it for a good amount of time.
Really cool did your grandfather put together that nice display or did you. Either way I see it as you do, priceless with the family heritage and history.

good luck

Some more pics. I don't know if the watch was ever repaired or if anything got changed unfortunately.

I live in Belgium, could I go to any watch maker to service it, or should I go to some special place? Any references would be welcomed. IMG_7947_1.JPG IMG_7946_1.JPG IMG_7941_1.JPG

Ya just a service at a competent watchmaker is all you need. A service “should” last years so you can just set it and forget it for a good amount of time.
Really cool did your grandfather put together that nice display or did you. Either way I see it as you do, priceless with the family heritage and history.

good luck

Hi, I had this frame made with the things that I inherited after my grandfather passed away. It contians his watch, lighter, his military passport and the medals he received after the war. Sorry for the off topic pics... the paper in the top middle is the actual document describing when he was captured by the Nazis and sent to a concenrtration camp. Lucky for him he got released after a few weeks. IMG_7948_1.JPG

The crown was certainly replaced and the crystal needs replacing as it’s cracked. A good watchmaker should be able to rectify both these issues when servicing the movement.
There are lots of threads on the forum for recommended watchmakers so it would be worth doing a search to see if any have been suggested in Belgium.

I think that's an amazing framed display that you put together to honor your grandfather. Nicely done.

I think that's an amazing framed display that you put together to honor your grandfather. Nicely done.
Thanks, The more I look at the watch the more I'm in doubt what to do with it. I see the band is a bit damaged too so maybe I'll just leave it in it's display frame instead of wearing it myself. I don't want to risk losing the watch.

Thanks, The more I look at the watch the more I'm in doubt what to do with it. I see the band is a bit damaged too so maybe I'll just leave it in it's display frame instead of wearing it myself. I don't want to risk losing the watch.

Nothing a new strap and spring bars wouldn’t sort.

Would seem a shame to me to leave a watch in a case. They’re meant to be worn

Hi, I had this frame made with the things that I inherited after my grandfather passed away. It contians his watch, lighter, his military passport and the medals he received after the war. Sorry for the off topic pics... the paper in the top middle is the actual document describing when he was captured by the Nazis and sent to a concenrtration camp. Lucky for him he got released after a few weeks. IMG_7948_1.JPG

That's so wonderfully done I think I would keep it just like that and not do anything with the watch at all, exactly as he last wore it.

Unless you really want to wear it if course then that's a different story.

Fabulous tribute to your grandfather there.