Forums Latest Members

Need help with Omega Ploprof 166.077 crown assembly

1. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jul 20, 2017

So I went to adjust the the time on my newly acquired Ploprof. I unscrewed the crown and pulled on button to place it in the time adjustment position and this happened :(:

I managed to screw the assembly back on but now when I unscrew the crown the whole assembly still detaches from the rest of the case as before. What am I missing??

IMG_6140.JPG
  2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 20, 2017

Ugh. The same happened to me about a month ago. I am just about to send it off to @photo500 to fix, as I also have some tritium hands I want him to fit to my Ploprof.

These are the parts that fell off. Looks like you might be missing the spring. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the coupling is still attached on yours.

upload_2017-7-20_15-24-15.png

3. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jul 21, 2017

You were also adjusting the time when this happened? Makes me wonder if this is a frequent issue with this reference.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 21, 2017

"Needs fixed"

McKnife, RawArcher and watchyouwant like this.
  5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 21, 2017

Yes, adjusting the time when it fell off. I have no idea what is broken and I just bagged everything up so that none of the parts would be lossed. I will send it off for repair soon, and pm you once I know the specific problem.

RawArcher, Btso and Rasputin like this.
  6. Btso Oct 31, 2017

I got the same problem! Looks like Rasputin hasn’t missed any parts as the spring is within the assemble - the same situation that I am facing.

Appreciate if someone can tell us whether this can be fixed for good!

Taddyangle likes this.
  7. mschmoock Oct 1, 2021

I had the very same issue today on a 166.077 and tried to analyze the problem I bit.
    Please be very careful! I believe the dial, the movement shaft or the crown can take damage when this is not handled carefully.
    TLDR: I haven't got it fixed (yet).

UPDATE: Don't try steps below, see next message in this thread!!
    The pin of the crown needs to grip the shaft of the movement.
    However, when the crown is not attached, the movement isn't 100% fixed within the case. You can look into the hole with a light to see the shaft. It should look like the top a very small slit screw driver.
    The crown can only fit when the movement shaft is properly aligned to it. I believe it might cause damage otherwise.
    The movement has a little bit of lash, which is why it can be misaligned, meaning the movement shaft isn't perfectly aligned to the entry of the crown. This can be 'fixed' by holding the watch sideways while gently tipping on the case until it aligns with the hole of the case.

The second issue that we encounter is that the rotation angle of the movement shaft is different to the angle of the tip of the crown when we enter it. Obviously the crown can't grip/attach to the shaft when it has a different angle. One 'simply' has to make sure to enter the the crown in the correct angle. When the movement shaft is not damaged it should still be turnable by the crown (even in this condition), carefully try to bring the angle of the shaft to a 0/45/90/135/180° degree angle to the case using the crown, so it gets easier to attach the crown correctly.

Still, when making sure everything is perfectly aligned, my crown does not attach to the shaft permanently when I screw in the crown.

Anyone else updates what's preventing the crown to attach correctly to the shaft?

Edited Feb 8, 2022
    321Only likes this.
  8. mschmoock Feb 7, 2022

Hey, my PloProf 600 was serviced now and has a new crown. Please don't try what I described above (I will also edit this) as I found a video that shows how a PloProf 600 can be opened. From timecode 0:50 it shows that the movement is lifted from and into the crown while the crown is opened but in the case in a position where it can join sideways with the movement stem. I think this is the only and proper way to connect the movement to the crown.

Dash1 likes this.
  9. duc Feb 12, 2022

I thought it would be good to add my woes for posterity. Any other parts remain inside the case.

What we have here is a new arrival to me, following my first (tender) attempt to set the time. I've alerted the seller. It was always going to be serviced immediately upon arrival. Now more so.

14.jpg

Edit: Seller is going to cover service! It is important to mention that since he is a standup guy!

Edited Feb 12, 2022
    McKnife and 321Only like this.
  10. 321Only Feb 12, 2022

Looks like the whole stem came loose in your case. I guess there is an issue with the release mechanism in the movement. Would you mind sharing a close up of the stem and the crown?

mschmoock likes this.
  11. duc Feb 12, 2022

I wish I could (and actually probably will later). It is already packaged and I'm headed out the door to send this to our man Al for adult attention :)

He generally returns overhauled watches with a plethora of photos. I'll ask him to focus on the crown/stem assy so I can post it here.

321Only likes this.
  12. mschmoock Feb 12, 2022

Yep, definitely looks like the stem was pulled out of the movement :(

13. Earthport2 Aug 9, 2023

IMG_3448.jpeg IMG_3449.jpeg IMG_3450.jpeg IMG_3452.jpeg Hello, this has just happened to me - I live in New York bordering Connecticut and wondered if anyone can suggest someone to repair please ?
    Also - this hurt - the original strap tore close to the buckle- I replaced with a new omega isofrane strap but I’m really want to get an original one - it doesn’t feel right with a new strap . Any help would be gratefully received thanks

14. duc Aug 10, 2023

The best thing you can do is send it to Omega in Bienne. If you look around on line you can find the email address. Contact them that way and if you get shuffled off to a US center, keep trying to get a reply from Bienne. They restored mine and I couldn't be happier.

15. Knudsen1971 Aug 10, 2023

The genuine isofrane is hard to get and expansive also, if any pops out. The service replacement is not bad at all, I have blue one and feels right to me...
    The issue you are having is described above. As the movement is "floating" inside the case on the rubber seals, when the seals rot away, the movement moves a bit and the two piece stem coupling is disengaged.
    Way out is to have it sorted out is to have the watch opened and serviced.

16. duc Aug 10, 2023

I bought an Omega OEM Isofrane style from an Omega authorized watchmaker. It is pricey, but it's worth it.