Forums Latest Members

Need help with my British lingo…

1. Turpinr Mar 15, 2023

Superb !!! Shaw was from Westhoughton which is just down t'road from me.
    Shaw was brilliant in Jaws and the Battle of Britain.
    People from Westhoughton are known as Cowyedders BTW.

M'Bob and Tony C. like this.
  2. Pastorbottle Mar 15, 2023

When I need to get by someone, I find the expression: “Step aside or bare a child!” Quite effective at clearing the way! :D

Syzygy, M'Bob and Turpinr like this.
  3. Paedipod Mar 15, 2023

late to this but much hilarity ensued.....I spent a couple of years at an English boarding school (not Borstal) in the early '80s, and coming from the colonies was "prepared" by my London born-and-raised father for some of the baffling translation issues. @M'Bob's post reminded me of this greeting/response that was being used then :
    "wotcha cock"
    followed by
    "wotcha owen"
    No idea of what it meant but a delayed or absent response meant a punch in the head...

4. Ohio Painter Mar 15, 2023

Well i have something to contribute for my second post, lol.
    I grew up in the UK before moving to Ohio 30 some odd years ago. I travel home from time to time.

I grew up about 30 miles sw of London. A standard greeting in the region was “y’ alright?” Said as one word.
    Never heard the wotcha expression as a greeting.
    Growing up we had tea as our evening meal now i notice everyone says dinner.

The rhyming slang was cool as teenagers and in our area a little is heard here and there, usually by the younger crowd.
    Only yesterday i asked my Granddaughter if she was telling porkies, i got an eye roll in return.
    Cheers.

5. DrmexicoII Mar 15, 2023

fuck yes!

Turpinr likes this.
  6. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 15, 2023

Screenshot_20230315-160623_Chrome.jpg

7. M'Bob Mar 15, 2023

I believe one term that is frequently used here in the States, but for you guys not often, is calling someone who’s a wanker, a “douchebag.”

I remember being a wee lad in New Jersey (“Hey: how ya doin’.”) when I first heard the term. I asked an older kid what it is. He said, “It’s something that cleans out a vagina.” I recall going home from school that afternoon, and saying, “Mom, I think I found an after-school job I’m interested in…”

Paedipod, RevZMan123, Faz and 2 others like this.
  8. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 15, 2023

Yeah. Something most people have heard in the UK from U.S. tv and film but I've never heard it used in real life here

M'Bob and DrmexicoII like this.
  9. DrmexicoII Mar 15, 2023

Same here, you're more likely to be called a "massive chopper" than a "douchebag" round these parts. OK, by me.

Is "bellend" used at all Stateside? Often prefaced by "complete", "massive", "right", or "total".

Ohio Painter, Davidt and M'Bob like this.
  10. MRC Mar 15, 2023

You are Hugh Jampton and I claim my five Pounds.

DrmexicoII likes this.
  11. M'Bob Mar 15, 2023

Never actually heard that one.

I know you guys use “knob/nob” often, whereas we refer to everyone as a “dick.” I heard a woman call another a “dick” the other day. It made me laugh.

DrmexicoII likes this.
  12. fiberguy Mar 15, 2023

Not common at all here in the states, I use the term, and people look at me strangely

DrmexicoII likes this.
  13. MRC Mar 15, 2023

When doing sales presentations in the States I'd throw in Britishisms like that. Kept their attention as I went through the boring technical bits it was my job to cover. The best big-iron computer salesman I ever worked with would steal some of each presentation I did with him and produce it the next time, so I had to constantly re-invent what I said because he'd already covered it. He didn't steal the things like "don't get your knickers in a twist" though. Given that his name seemed to be a mix of two distinct European cultures (Latin and Eastern Europe) I don't know if he understood, but he knew what I was up to.

14. Davidt Mar 15, 2023

I’d say “knob” is a fairly light insult, “dick” is in normal usage in the UK and is a medium level insult, followed by “prick” for high level, similar to “bell end”.
    That’s about where the phallic insults stop in the UK.

15. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 15, 2023

You forgot cock, and dickhead

M'Bob, DrmexicoII and Davidt like this.
  16. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 15, 2023

Speaking of male reproductive equipment, 11 pages and not a single mention of testicles?

What a load of bollocks! :D

17. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 15, 2023

Balls to that.

18. Davidt Mar 15, 2023

You’re right. Now that I think about it I also forgot, penis, knob rash and ball bag!

M'Bob, DrmexicoII and Gav1967 like this.
  19. RevZMan123 Mar 15, 2023

douchebag is a favorite of mine,

HEY YOU'RE FROM JERSEY? I'm From Jersey! Did I tell you?

Exit? 69, baby! Nice.

It has evolved a bit, now I use douche canoe a lot. People are worse than just the bag now.

20. RevZMan123 Mar 15, 2023

Bell-end