Forums Latest Members
  1. adevane91 Mar 14, 2016

Hi all. I'm new to the community and watch collecting in general so bear with me.

I have recently received several photos of a watch that my grandmother graciously intends to pass down to me from my late grandfather's estate. I was told that he was the sole owner, but she doesn't have the original box or papers, nor does she have information regarding the purchase year. I'm not in the same state, so all I have to go on are photos my mother sent me of the watch. I'd like to gain a little more information on it prior to picking it up (just for my own edification; I have no intention of selling or trading as this is a family heirloom from a man whom I admire and miss).

I have been looking around and it looks similar to Seamster bumper movements from the early 50s, but I haven't found an exact match. IMG_0083 2.JPG IMG_0088.JPG IMG_0090.JPG IMG_0091.JPG
    It comes with what appears to be a Speidel 10 kt. gold plated flex bracelet.

There are a few idiosyncratic features of this piece that have me perplexed. The "M" seems to be skewed slightly, not uniform in height. The sub dial is a crosshair dial, which is unusual from what I have seen so far. The tip of the 5 o'clock index appears to "touch" the border of the sub, while the index at 7 does not. And it appears as though there was an Arabic numeral at 6 o'clock, but it was cut off by the sub, which is certainly something I haven't seen with 50s Omega Seamasters.

Also, the applique Omega has come off. I'm not sure if it is still in my grandmother's possession. Would it be possible to have the original reapplied or replace it with one from a similar year?

I'll open it up once I get it. But for now, I just want a general idea of what I'm looking at.

Much thanks!

2. DON Mar 14, 2016

Dial is refinished. Bumper movement. Crown incorrect (Omega, but from wrong decade). Can't tell if case is gold filled or solid gold.

6 cut off is normal. 5 and 7 maybe left the factory that way. Refnisher didn't remove them for dial reprint as he printed on top of the 1, 2 and 5 index

DON