Need Help w Constellation 168.029 Dial Layout, 'C' Case

Hello Fellow Members,

New member here and getting into the world of the Constellation! I recently purchased a watch but am now having second thoughts about the dial. My concern is that the text "Constellation" and "Automatic" are printed on TOP of the dial right under the Omega Logo and the "Omega" text logo and "Chronometer" "Officially Certified" are on the BOTTOM of the dial.

When I was first looking into this, I did find plenty of pics of the 168.029 with a layout like the watch I purchased but now am having second thoughts whether this was a dial taken from a different reference or not. The hands and indices to me look like a 168.029, with the 'double' indices at the 12 oclock position and the Ad specifies a Cal. 751 Movement.

Did Omega have different dial layouts for the 168.029? Or should all 168.029 have the Omega Logo and the "Omega" text logo on the top of the dial and the "Constellation" text and star on the bottom of the dial?

I should be receiving this watch in the mail in about a week and will have 14 days after to decide if I want to keep this watch or return it. Any feedback and insight is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Ive attached the pics from the Ad and will also upload pics when I receive the watch to this thread.

The dial appears to be original as far as redials are concerned, and you can even see the text is slightly raised/embossed in one of the pics. The case dial and bracelet appear to be in great condition. Will see better once the watch comes in and will also post pics of the movement and case back as well.

The ad specifies; Omega 168.029, equipped with a Cal. 751 with day-date specifications. Manufactured around 1970.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

looks like the dial from a 168.0057 (cal. 1021) to me, but the slight rounding of the caseback looks like it should be for the cal. 751.

Perhaps at some point in its life when it was getting repaired a dial from a 0057 was swapped in?
I guess theres also the possibility that its actually a 0057, and theres a 0029 caseback on it?

looks like the dial from a 168.0057 (cal. 1021) to me, but the slight rounding of the caseback looks like it should be for the cal. 751.

Perhaps at some point in its life when it was getting repaired a dial from a 0057 was swapped in?
I guess theres also the possibility that its actually a 0057, and theres a 0029 caseback on it?
The Cal. 1021 dial has a divider between day and date. This dial is for a Cal 751. It looks correct to me. I am wondering if this was a Japanese market Omega?

Thanks, yes the layout does look like the 168.0057 but the Indices at the 12 oclock are different, the 168.0057 has one wide indices, where as the one i purchased has 2 indices next to each other. But they do look very similar.

The Cal. 1021 dial has a divider between day and date. This dial is for a Cal 751. It looks correct to me. I am wondering if this was a Japanese market Omega?

you are right, there is no divider between the day date on the 751, and this Omega is from Japan. Could be a different layout for the japanese market? Good catch!

It's one of the last 168.029's and the dial is transitional, bracelet could be the modern version too but it's vintage, could be a plus or a minus, vintage version is more expensive but the modern fits the design better

Overall only issue are the lume pips, I saw a beautiful 168.017 recently on eBay, seller was bragging about what a good job he did replacing lume pips, and he did a good job yet it was obvious they were replacements, this watch looks similar, I'd say lume pips are replaced but I can't be sure

Edit: Really can't be sure, could be the photos making them look big too

It's one of the last 168.029's and the dial is transitional, bracelet could be the modern version too but it's vintage, could be a plus or a minus, vintage version is more expensive but the modern fits the design better

Overall only issue are the lume pips, I saw a beautiful 168.017 recently on eBay, seller was bragging about what a good job he did replacing lume pips, and he did a good job yet it was obvious they were replacements, this watch looks similar, I'd say lume pips are replaced but I can't be sure

Thanks for the info. I love the look of this bracelet on the C case.. I just hope it fits!

Thanks everyone for your insight. Kaplan is correct about the watch dial being transitional. I found the answer as well in Desmonds essay on the C case Constellation.

From Desmonds essay: “Some later calibre 751 models did feature the new dial script…”

Makes this kind of a rare piece I would think. Thanks again for everyones help! I will post pics of the watch when I receive it!

Interesting, I see both with the divider and without the divider on the 1021 movement dials in Japan.

It seems to be hard to tell what is what as I have not found much documentation of exactly what differences were made for the Japanese market during this time.

Still does mean you find some really interesting pieces if you spend far too much time looking at Japanese stores/sellers.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of this beauty when you get it!

Agree with @kaplan, this is a transitional dial, and the watch is in great overall condition. I'd happily wear it, and I betcha you'll love it when it's on your wrist. Welcome to Team C-case...

Watch photography is hard; the appearance on the wrist is almost always even better than the pictures show. The seller's photos, and yours, are both good. So the big question is: DO YOU LOVE IT?

(I think it's fabulous. Come and join us on the C-case thread sometime...)

Awesome condition minus the in my opinion redone dial lume pips, they need to be small and yellow, you can test this easily by charging them with light, if they are vintage, they don't luminate / hold charge

Watch photography is hard; the appearance on the wrist is almost always even better than the pictures show. The seller's photos, and yours, are both good. So the big question is: DO YOU LOVE IT?

(I think it's fabulous. Come and join us on the C-case thread sometime...)

Im head over heels lol! Its better then i hoped and couldnt be happier. I absolutely love the look on wrist. Your right, hard to capture how amazing the watch looks in real life!

Awesome condition minus the in my opinion redone dial lume pips, they need to be small and yellow, you can test this easily by charging them with light, if they are vintage, they don't luminate / hold charge

Ive already tested and yes they light up. The color on the lume pips are not as yellowed/aged as the one on the hands. Im ok with it, whoever did it, did a good job.