Forums Latest Members

Need help to see if this Constellation is fake or not.

1. Liwetha Nov 30, 2019

To start off this is not an attempt to sell this watch, only for mine and my grabdpas clarification. So I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to vintage watches, or Omegas in general. I looked up common items to look for and believe this watch is a fake. I also found a few things that made me believe it was real. I'll go through what I know and hopefully the few pictures and descriptions I have can give someone enough to tell me one way or the other. Firstly I know already that the band is not original, this all concerns the watch itself. The things that made me think it was real were no spelling mistakes, the Omega name, symbol, and star at the bottom of the face are all raised and not painted on. The crown looks to be well crafted and has multiple faces, that's what I know to look for to ensure it's real having read online. Now to the things that make me suspicious. When you pull the crown out, the second hand continues to move. The second hand also doesnt "sweep", it had a similar movement to my Seiko 5 Sport Automatic. Thirdly it did have a tick when held to the ear. Lastly on the back three of the stars are very ill defined, like the back was stamped out. Hopefully the descriptions and pictures can provide enough info to give a definitive answer. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

20191128_101717.jpg 20191128_101725.jpg 20191128_101738.jpg 20191128_101747.jpg
    Spruce and ConElPueblo like this.
  2. seekingseaquest Nov 30, 2019

Looks good to me. The crown is the correct style but is a later replacement. The case back is just a bit worn - the medallion is solid gold so commonly gets worn down. Dial looks good, although straight on photos without the hands obscuring the text would help confirm. The case looks to have been polished as some of the facets aren’t well defined.

Second hand should sweep consistently and watch should tick as with other mechanical watches, and it is expected that it will continue to do so when you pull out the crown.

Hope this helps.

Sidnos and Noddyman like this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 30, 2019

It’s quite real.

4. ConElPueblo Dec 1, 2019

What a great looking Constellation :)

Probably a reference 2852 and looks to have a replaced crown. Very nice dial!

Samir, bloomy and Sidnos like this.
  5. Maskelyne Dec 1, 2019

It looks very good, and the case is well preserved and so is the fine dial! :)

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 1, 2019

What’s with the medallion? Is it just wear or are 2 stars missing?

7. gpssti4 Dec 1, 2019

Just looks like wear on the caseback.

8. Kek25 Dec 1, 2019

Some days I wonder if I’ll ever get the dial evaluation correct. I thought the dial might have been redone because the “corners” of the pie pan appear rounded, not pointed??

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 1, 2019

It's not nor ever was a pie-pan.

Samir likes this.
  10. Kek25 Dec 1, 2019

I thought you might say that. Looks like the edges angle up toward the minute chapter unlike domed dials I regularly see.

Interesting. Did a search and see that this dial variation is correct. Can’t believe I haven’t seen this one before after all the dials I’ve looked at. Thanks.

Edited Dec 1, 2019